Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Barry is on today's Fubar with Ian and Ian is on today's Is It Bollocks? with Barry.

Dusty Substance

Based on the short Stupid Puppet Thing  test video Ian recently uploaded, it's something I have no interest in.  Unless it's something as subversive as Wonder Showzen I find almost all puppet and muppet stuff to be totally cringeworthy and mostly unfunny. That said, I discovered Hacker T Dog through Ian's FUBAR show, thought he was brilliant and went down a Hacker YouTube wormhole (Hacker on Mastermind was very funny) - So maybe it'll be good.

As for their film podcast thing - I don't have too much interest in that as there are already a billion film chat podcasts out there and based on what I've heard them talk about so far, I'll find it frustrating as.... *puts on film student beret*.... neither know as much about film as I do and I'll most likely find it a frustrating listen (Phil's never seen Raiders Of The Lost Ark).

What with over ten years of free content from Ian, I'm happy to continue to support via Patreon, though.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 12, 2019, 12:19:26 AM

As for their film podcast thing - I don't have too much interest in that as there are already a billion film chat podcasts out there and based on what I've heard them talk about so far, I'll find it frustrating as.... *puts on film student beret*.... neither know as much about film as I do and I'll most likely find it a frustrating listen (Phil's never seen Raiders Of The Lost Ark).

Partly my concern as well. I need a film podcast to really dive deep into the films they cover, which they said they won't be doing. If it was Ian and Barry I'd be all over it because those two together always make me laugh, but the stuff he's recorded with Phil I find enjoyable but seldom funny.

typeforty

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 12, 2019, 12:19:26 AMWhat with over ten years of free content from Ian, I'm happy to continue to support via Patreon, though.

Given that you're probably talking about four Patreon posts out of 30+ every month, I should think so... ;)

DrGreggles

Replies From View

With the Parapod film, I do hope any DVD release contains all the deleted scenes and alternative edits that Ian has talked about.

I sometimes wonder whether sitting on this film for so long is resulting in them getting bored with previous edits that are perfectly good, so they are fiddling with it when maybe an earlier version may have been a stronger film.  That's why I hope we get to see a few different versions.  Ian is the kind of person who I think would care about sharing the process in this way.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on March 18, 2019, 05:45:42 PM
With the Parapod film, I do hope any DVD release contains all the deleted scenes and alternative edits that Ian has talked about.

I sometimes wonder whether sitting on this film for so long is resulting in them getting bored with previous edits that are perfectly good, so they are fiddling with it when maybe an earlier version may have been a stronger film.  That's why I hope we get to see a few different versions.  Ian is the kind of person who I think would care about sharing the process in this way.

They haven't finished filming yet, so it's not just a post production thing.
It's mentioned in the latest CF pod.

Isn't this week a filming week? Also it's slightly more difficult I guess because they couldn't plan a lot beforehand, I think all they really had were locations and general ideas because there's a documentary aspect to the film. What I do think would make sense is if Ian and Barry recorded another series of The Parapod. The die-hards for the film are already on Patreon and I think a new series, heavily promoted, would raise the film's profile a great deal.

DrGreggles

I think there will still be occasional Parapod specials and live stuff.

Replies From View

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 18, 2019, 06:27:38 PM
What I do think would make sense is if Ian and Barry recorded another series of The Parapod.

I wonder what they could do for a fourth series though.

By series 3 Barry was basically just skimming wikipedia for the scantest information about the conspiracies he was meant to be talking about, and then had no response when Ian took him down because he wasn't particularly interested enough in researching properly.

It should go back to ghosts and paranormal stuff, I think, but I still don't know what they could do to keep it fresh.  They could be in danger of falling into the trap of Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington where it became more self-conscious and Pilkington was just acting the fool, and Gervais/Merchant were just pretending to find it SO FUCKING STUPID, because that was the groove they'd created.

As Dr Greggles suggests, specials - and especially live specials - would probably be the way to go.

The trouble is the live shows would likely go on sale through Patreon first and sell out immediately. Ian's said he doesn't want to do a full live tour of the Parapod, although I think the demand is definitely there. I'm not sure the odd special is enough to keep it in the public eye. Just thinking that it'll be well over 2 years since the last series by the time the film is finished that from a marketing perspective they should do something regular to keep it fresh in the public imagination. Maybe it doesn't even need a full series, just specials with cross-promotion on other podcasts. A RHLSTP with both of them, Buxton's podcast, etc.

DrGreggles

I'd still like another series. I want to hear Barry take on Jack the Ripper.

Fucking hell. Barry's train journey.

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 18, 2019, 11:03:58 PM

Fucking hell. Barry in the circus tent.

I'm only 30 minutes into the podcast and this is already amazing!

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 20, 2019, 08:41:51 AM

I take it you're talking about Boldsworth's Patreon podcast.  Which episode though?

Moonshine

It's the most recent FUBAR one

Replies From View

Quote from: Moonshine on March 20, 2019, 11:27:07 AM
It's the most recent FUBAR one

Ah - thanks!

So many things being discussed simultaneously here that it's sometimes hard to follow!

BritishHobo

It can be kinda disorienting doing this sometimes. I usually fall behind the FUBAR shows for a few months and then catch up all in one go, but obviously still follow Patreon daily, so can get proper off-balance with myself.

I really like the mix of stuff he does. I absolutely love the posts he does going over his career and dropping bits of rare treats, whereas there may be some ParaPod-only fans who've no interest in Peacock and Gamble but love getting movie updates, or Hacker/Fletcher stuff. Whichever way, you still get shitloads more content than I'd guess most other creators give.

I need to catch up on the Cabin Fever pods and Phil Fletcher stuff, got months worth of both to download and listen to. Loads of Barry's own patreon podcasts as well.

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 20, 2019, 08:41:51 AM

Is it the first time you've heard that story? Barry told it on an earlier Fubar episode and Junior Simpson was a guest on the same episode. I think it's my favourite ever Barry story.

typeforty

Does Ian pop up much on Barry's Patreon content?

No, just the one podcast appearance from what I remember.

BritishHobo

This extended Retro Week on Patreon has been really lovely. I knew nothing about Big and Daft really beyond the few mentions on Peacock and Gamble about Ian deciding to leave, and the shit lighting on the last night, so it's been great getting a real run-through of the history of the group. The podcast with Rob Rouse the other day is a lovely listen, and I was genuinely laughing out loud at a few points picturing some of the sketches they described. The one with Rob being on-stage by himself upset, like a big kid, and then sitting on an audience member's lap and getting them to cheer him up by playing fetch with him really made me think of some of Ian's big kid moments in Peacock and Gamble, and I'm enjoying reading about the early early development of his career and comedic voice in that way.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 25, 2019, 09:31:44 PM
This extended Retro Week on Patreon has been really lovely. I knew nothing about Big and Daft really beyond the few mentions on Peacock and Gamble about Ian deciding to leave, and the shit lighting on the last night, so it's been great getting a real run-through of the history of the group. The podcast with Rob Rouse the other day is a lovely listen, and I was genuinely laughing out loud at a few points picturing some of the sketches they described. The one with Rob being on-stage by himself upset, like a big kid, and then sitting on an audience member's lap and getting them to cheer him up by playing fetch with him really made me think of some of Ian's big kid moments in Peacock and Gamble, and I'm enjoying reading about the early early development of his career and comedic voice in that way.

Yes, really enjoyed it. Sounds like it was the first of several too.

typeforty

I think he said it's the first of three, didn't he?

DrGreggles

Quote from: typeforty on March 25, 2019, 10:12:03 PM
I think he said it's the first of three, didn't he?

I thought that referred to the different shows that Big & Daft did.
They only discussed their first one, and didn't even finish it.

typeforty

Ah, I just went back - "There's at least three of these podcasts". No complaints here!

He talks a little about the Big and Daft stuff on today's Fubar. Also, halfway through now and there's a really nice interview with the director of the Frank Sidebottom documentary.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 18, 2019, 11:03:58 PM

Spent the last couple of days catching up with the FUBAR shows. It absolutely blows my mind that Barry, as a professional comedian, doesn't realize what a funny story it is to get covered in piss and shit on a train journey. The way he casually mentions it, thinking it's nothing and then for Ian and Nat to just ask a couple of questions, resulting in something so properly funny..... Look, I know he's not a character but how can anyone, let alone a paid comic, not understand that?

Anyway, it was lovely to hear him back on FUBAR, made even more special that Ian invited him because of Andy Bell - Although, think about what kind of Dodds reaction we would have got if Ian hadn't made him aware of it and just got him on the show for some another reason, only to casually announce that Bell was the guest.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 01, 2019, 11:42:32 PM
Anyway, it was lovely to hear him back on FUBAR, made even more special that Ian invited him because of Andy Bell - Although, think about what kind of Dodds reaction we would have got if Ian hadn't made him aware of it and just got him on the show for some another reason, only to casually announce that Bell was the guest.

I think the plan was for Ian to ask Andy to put on a voice and phone Barry and claim to be Andy Bell (which Ian has apparently got other people to do before), but Barry found out that Andy was on the show via Andy's website so he was invited down to the studio instead.