Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 01, 2019, 11:42:32 PM
Spent the last couple of days catching up with the FUBAR shows. It absolutely blows my mind that Barry, as a professional comedian, doesn't realize what a funny story it is to get covered in piss and shit on a train journey. The way he casually mentions it, thinking it's nothing and then for Ian and Nat to just ask a couple of questions, resulting in something so properly funny..... Look, I know he's not a character but how can anyone, let alone a paid comic, not understand that?

I know that it's been said to Barry in the past about how some of these stories should be material in his stage act but he says that he doesn't see them as especially noteworthy, they're just things that happen to him. But when you think of something like the pool hall story, he could shape that into a dynamite routine.

Dodds is good value on today's Fubar.

Sin Agog

Last week they made a big noise about a guest cutting an interview short.  Guess they cut that out then?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 16, 2019, 01:35:16 PM
Last week they made a big noise about a guest cutting an interview short.  Guess they cut that out then?

No, it was the last guest - John *Surname*.

BritishHobo

Still catching up on the last few weeks - is it all still in there turn? Is it obvious, or is it all behind-the-scenes stuff?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 16, 2019, 01:35:16 PM

Just remembered that I listened to the full show, not the podcast.
Don't know if the flouncer made the pod edit.

BritishHobo

Fuck I hope it did. Do you mind giving some detail on what happened if it is missing?

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 16, 2019, 06:25:44 PM
Fuck I hope it did. Do you mind giving some detail on what happened if it is missing?

The full show is on the Fubar site. He's the final guest, so he's on from about 20 minutes from the end.

Sin Agog

It's probably in there. I had to pause around that point. I misremembered it as the guy from Wang Chung flouncing, so I was listening to that interview all tensed up waiting for him to take extreme umbrage at being called a baldy by Ian. 

Yeah, it's in the podcast edition. It's not that big a deal really, the Eastenders guy comes across as a prick from the start if you ask me.

Sebastian Cobb

How do I listen to this circus story then?

Sin Agog

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 16, 2019, 07:36:27 PM
Yeah, it's in the podcast edition. It's not that big a deal really, the Eastenders guy comes across as a prick from the start if you ask me.

Finally listened to it, and I thought it was strangely hilarious.  Particularly cracked up at the phrase 'random bear.'

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
How do I listen to this circus story then?

Go back a couple of Fubar episodes to the last ones Barry was on. I don't think he tells it on the Andy Bell ep, I think it's during the Attenborough ep. But it's sort of a hurried telling of it. If you listen to this Some Nonsense with Ray Peacock episode where Junior Simpson is a guest you get a better rendition of the story.

http://fubarradio.com/episodes/ray-peacock-episode-29/

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 17, 2019, 08:34:32 AM
Finally listened to it, and I thought it was strangely hilarious.  Particularly cracked up at the phrase 'random bear.'

I think if it hadn't been flagged up in advance it would have seemed funnier. But because Ian had already talked about it because he was obviously annoyed by it then it gave it too much of a build up. I wish the show had a few less guests tbh, I preferred it when there were segments with the producers and Barry got a call every week.

DrGreggles

Anyone else on Dodds' Patreon?
I'm not going to post specifics, but he's just posted a tasty update!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 17, 2019, 10:45:11 AM
Go back a couple of Fubar episodes to the last ones Barry was on. I don't think he tells it on the Andy Bell ep, I think it's during the Attenborough ep. But it's sort of a hurried telling of it. If you listen to this Some Nonsense with Ray Peacock episode where Junior Simpson is a guest you get a better rendition of the story.

http://fubarradio.com/episodes/ray-peacock-episode-29/

ta!

typeforty

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 17, 2019, 11:01:47 AM
Anyone else on Dodds' Patreon?
I'm not going to post specifics, but he's just posted a tasty update!

Anyone want to at least give us a hint?

DrGreggles

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 18, 2019, 11:16:59 AM
Parapod Live

I wonder if an edited version will appear on the official Parapod feed.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on April 18, 2019, 11:51:59 AM
I wonder if an edited version will appear on the official Parapod feed.

Of last year's?
No, I don't think it will. It was on Ian's Patreon.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 18, 2019, 11:54:50 AM
Of last year's?
No, I don't think it will. It was on Ian's Patreon.

Oh I thought you were talking about a new one.

I'm already on Ian's Patreon.

Replies From View

So the "tasty update" is a link to last year's live Parapod?  What for?

DrGreggles

No. I said that there was a tasty update about The Parapod Live on Barry's Patreon.

BritishHobo

Still loving the Big and Daft retrospective. It's just warm, lovely, fascinating. Odd to think a couple of weeks ago I basically knew nothing about the group. After Ian's brilliant posts and the intimacy of the conversations make me feel like I really know the group now. Such a shame there's no footage of any of their shows.

It's really compelling to hear them each be so candid about their actions at the time, especially the retrospective look at the opportunities they missed. In a general and philosophical way as well, it's interesting to listen to them talk about ways they could have done things differently, but how that's easy to do in retrospect, as you can only make the decision you make at the time. Strange to think how Ian's career may have gone had they gotten their own TV show.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 16, 2019, 06:37:33 PM
It's probably in there. I had to pause around that point. I misremembered it as the guy from Wang Chung flouncing, so I was listening to that interview all tensed up waiting for him to take extreme umbrage at being called a baldy by Ian.

I've been way behind on these shows, having only just caught up with this one and, like you, had the exact same experience in thinking that it was Wang Chung bloke who was about to flounce off and kept waiting for him to turn on Boldsworth. As for John Surname who turned out to be the flouncer, he was 100% at fault for asking about Ian's cock before then feigning faux outrage and ending the call (IIRC Ian goes straight into Oops I Did It Again perfectly). The fact that none of us know who he is or what he was promoting means the whole thing backfired on the flouncer.

Ian talks about it a little bit again on this week's show, about how Eastenders wanker apparently went back to his pr, lied, and said Ian asked about his cock.

Dusty Substance

Nat: "I tried to get Alice Cooper on the show but he wasn't interested"

Ian: (quick as a flash) "Why? He does loads of shit radio"

Sin Agog

I really enjoyed these last two semi-drunk Fubars.  I suggest Ian becomes an alcoholic for his craft.

Mobbd

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 18, 2019, 01:14:14 PM
No. I said that there was a tasty update about The Parapod Live on Barry's Patreon.

Any non-t-shirt-based updates on the movie?

DrGreggles

Nothing confirmed yet, but I believe the last bit of filming has just been done and Ian has been discussing distribution on his Patreon.