Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:49:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I came up with a theory about the release date that I hope I'm dead fucking wrong on because I'm away not just then but for the two weeks around it.

Then again my theory is based on fuck-all, especially as I don't know whether they've even picked a date yet. For all I know they may not even have a date in mind yet.

Barry's patreon is lovely, anyone who's not on it yet. He's done a three-part story recently that I thought was really fascinating and properly funny. As has been said before, there's little bits where you just think, he has some mad, amazing stories. I don't want to spoil anything but there was a thing with a cashpoint in one of the last ones that completely blindsided me.

Mobbd

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 23, 2019, 12:49:42 PM
Nothing confirmed yet, but I believe the last bit of filming has just been done and Ian has been discussing distribution on his Patreon.

Great news. Looking forward to it big-time. So they had to film more footage? Are we talking pick-ups/reshoots here or what?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2019, 10:32:28 PM
How do I listen to this circus story then?

Finally listened to this around the time Danny Baker was getting #CANCELLED

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mobbd on May 23, 2019, 06:16:30 PM
Great news. Looking forward to it big-time. So they had to film more footage? Are we talking pick-ups/reshoots here or what?

Just additional stuff that was needed after how the initial filming panned out.
Probably an epilogue.

thegammonboys

I get the impression from Patreon/Fubar that Michael Pennington finds Ian a little tiring. Any Boldsworth project tends tends towards a "top/bottom" dynamic, which can create hostility when the "bottom" doesn't enjoy playing along. Might be talking from my arse though.

Dusty Substance

After eight or so months, I've abandoned his Patreon. I feel quite bad about it considering the decade plus of free content he used to put out but there's been very little lately that I've wanted to read/listen to (I gave up after one episode of the Star Wars thing he did).

Also, as a side note, I don't think I've ever encountered someone with such opposing musical tastes than I have with Boldsworth. He loves bands like The Bare Naked Ladies who I consider to be one of the worst bands ever to have put out a substantial amount of records, and I've never quite understood why Randy Newman's so popular (one of IB's faves). Even a band like The Divine Comedy who he played quite recently on FUBAR is still, for me, the point where good meets bad/bad meets good (ie: they're one of my best bad bands/worst good bands). And when he spoke about how awful he thinks ABBA are, I nearly put my fist through my DAB and sent him the bill. Nat has *much* better music taste.

I think the Star Wars podcast was ok but not something that deserved or needed 8 or so episodes and then another series about musicals.

I agree about the music, I tend to skip most of the songs when I listen to Fubar. Nat does have much better taste and I'd rather listen to all of Barry's Erasure cds than do one car journey with Ian and listen to Meatloaf, Queen and Billy Joel. 

Sin Agog

I've always thought Ian's tastes were pretty broad/end of the pier.  Cabaret emotions.  Which is fine, but then he's dead obsessed with the stuff he likes, to the point where he'll bang on about The Tiger Lilies for ten minutes to a guest who doesn't know what he's talking about,  I love him, but two moments in particular fucked me off something awful.  The Twin Peaks hate, which is understandable and I'm precious about my dear old Peaks I'll grant ya.  And every time Ed played something I loved which then got talked over or cut short by Ian.  I'm particularly thinking about the time Gamble played the black Detroit proto-punkers Death's Politicians in my Eyes, or, well, about a minute and a half of them.

typeforty

I really like a lot of Ian's musical choices. Effing hate the Tiger Lilies, mind. The new What the Movies Didn't See podcast had me howling with laughter, to be honest. Each to their own.

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 04, 2019, 10:34:34 AM
I've always thought Ian's tastes were pretty broad/end of the pier.  Cabaret emotions. 

Yeah. Bang on. I always thought it was music that you could emote to if performing it on stage. Given his background as a stage actor it kinda makes sense. But I know in various conversations with Ed and Nat he slagged off lots of my favourite artists. It doesn't really bother me, but we definitely have very different tastes in music. Films too, given his love for anything in 3D.  Two things that have bothered me was again the slating of Twin Peaks, not out of being precious exactly but because it felt over the top to me. The other is he was talking with Nat about Breaking Bad and he was getting annoyed over something that happened to a certain character, I remember him saying the character didn't do anything to deserve what happened to them, and I just thought, mate, it's a tragedy. But they're minor things.

Quote from: typeforty on June 04, 2019, 11:03:54 AM
The new What the Movies Didn't See podcast had me howling with laughter, to be honest. Each to their own.

It's the kind of thing where I did think it was funny but it was something that felt more like it should have been a 5/10 minute segment every week on Fubar rather than a 30 minute weekly podcast.

typeforty

That'd take away half the point of it, wouldn't it? I mean, a lot of the humour in it is these characters having utterly mundane and rambling conversations - you couldn't really do that in 5-10 minutes in the same way.

End of the day though, it's one day a week, so if you don't enjoy it there's another six to choose from. Not every update is for me, but for $1 a month I don't really feel in any position to complain!

Oh I'm not complaining. Ian provides the most value for money I've seen on Patreon and his dedication to providing content is something to be admired. Just the Star Wars wasn't really for me. I did find Kim very charming and it was funny, but I just think the tighter shorter focus, like you used to get on Fubar with Bump and Grinder, would have been stronger. I really miss regular segments on Fubar, they seem to have been replaced with more guests but then you're really depending on the guest being interesting. They were saying on this week's show Chico is on next week's and I'm already dreading it. I also think with the Star Wars thing, I don't have much affection for Star Wars yet being interested in films means it's inescapable and I think Star Wars, even a comedic take on it, has been done. For me, it's hard to get excited about. Just as it would be hard to get excited about something covering Marvel. The Rocky Horror podcast may be more suited to me because it hasn't been milked to death in culture.

typeforty

I think that's fair. I have to be in the right mood to listen to a WTMDS episode. I think he's (probably they're) very aware that it's not something that has an indefinite shelf life. But hey, that's the beauty of the Patreon - it's a fairly expectation-free environment to toss the ball around. The sheer volume of stuff that Ian puts out has kind of ruined me for other creators on the platform - most ask for a lot more money for a lot less stuff. Though I suppose that's not really the point of Patreon - you're supporting the creator rather than buying content.

How is the Fubar show at the moment? I confess, it's a far less essential listen for me now that we have daily Ian. I'm probably a good month or two behind...

Fubar I find really entertaining whenever it's just Ian and Nat talking. Guests are, as always, a mixed bag. You're either relying on them being a cool and funny person or on them being there to talk about something interesting. When they're neither I think a lot of heavy lifting falls on Ian, which is why I preferred regular segments with producers and obviously with Barry.

Sin Agog

Were there a couple of weeks off before this last Fubar?  Just want to make sure my feed didn't drop out.

I think last Monday there wasn't one because of the bank holiday.

BritishHobo

I've not even started the Star Wars podcasts. I have such a backlog thanks to Patreon. At least ten episodes of Brian Gittins and Friends, most if not all of Barry's Is It Bollocks? - plus listening to the FUBAR show every week. I don't know how US podcast fans do it, listening to Comedy Bang Bang and Hollywood Handbook and Marc Maron and etc etc every week.

I am astonished quite how much value Ian gives. No matter what strand of his work (or how many strands), you're guaranteed at least one genuine treat a week.

How far off a movie release announcement do we reckon we are? I'm always fascinated when he talks about non-patrons who message him, quite indignant that they're still waiting for the film. I can't imagine doing that, especially given the incredible amount of time and effort he's poured in.

DrGreggles

I hope you saw Barry's Patreon today.

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 05, 2019, 11:20:16 PM

How far off a movie release announcement do we reckon we are? I'm always fascinated when he talks about non-patrons who message him, quite indignant that they're still waiting for the film. I can't imagine doing that, especially given the incredible amount of time and effort he's poured in.

It's a weird thing, isn't it? It's like he's said a few times, if you're not on his Patreon he's pretty much disappeared from public life and people who aren't on there don't get to see the regular updates on the film.  It's why I think he and Barry need to do a real media blitz when the release is near, because I think unless people are on Patreon Parapod probably seems a dead brand.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 05, 2019, 11:58:44 PM
I hope you saw Barry's Patreon today.

Yeah, luckily I had the day off so saw it when it went up.

DrGreggles

I think it's being announced to the plebs later today.

typeforty

Riiight. Y'know, I understand not wanting to leak out anything from behind a paywall out of respect for Dodds, but being a bit of an arse about it on here doesn't help anyone.

Edit: It's the Parapod Live pre-sale link. That's literally what the post is called, and even non-Patreons can see the title, so there's nothing to be gained from keeping what it is secret: https://www.patreon.com/barrydodds/posts.

DrGreggles

Quote from: typeforty on June 06, 2019, 06:42:04 PM
Being a bit of an arse about it on here doesn't help anyone.

And a big FUCK OFF to you too!

BritishHobo

To be fair, if something has intentionally only been announced Patreon for the current moment, it's fair enough for patrons to be wary and caget about giving anything away. I've intentionally not mentioned it because it just hadn't been openly discussed by Barry outside of Patreon, and you don't want to rumble something when you're not sure exactly what the creator is happy for people to know.

Yeah, and Ian is definitely aware of this thread so I assume Barry is as well.

typeforty

Well then don't say anything at all. Personally, I think if you say "Barry's Patreon has an exclusive Parapod Live pre-sale link" that's a lot more likely to get someone to sign up than giving it the nudge-nudge and calling people who haven't seen it 'plebs'.

Nobody would say that the ticket link was online because it raises the possibility of someone signing up, buying tickets, then cancelling their pledge, and that seems hugely unfair to Barry and to the people already on Patreon who might not have seen the link straight away.