Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typeforty

Then I refer you to my first point of 'don't say anything at all'. Because either way you're drawing attention to the Patreon and either way anyone who looks at the page will see what's happening. And I'm sorry if I've upset anyone, I really am, but the whole "I know something you don't know" schtick is one of the most infuriating things out there.

BritishHobo

Also I'm sure DrGreggles was being tongue-in-cheek and would never genuinely be looking down on non-patrons.

I can understand why it must seem a frustrating thread if you're not on the Patreon. As Ian has said a few times recently, it looks from the outside like fuck-all is happening, even though he and Barry are posting daily. It's a tough thing, because you still want to discuss events, even though they're happening behind paywall.

typeforty

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 06, 2019, 09:09:05 PM
Also I'm sure DrGreggles was being tongue-in-cheek and would never genuinely be looking down on non-patrons.

You're probably right. Hard to gauge tone on here sometimes. Sorry, Doc. I guess Ian and Barry must've agreed to "let Barry have this one", which is a bit of a shame for Ian's Patrons (like myself), but there we go. With no disrespect meant to Barry, I just don't have any interest in his career or life outside of his work with Ian. Nothing personal, I just don't have the emotional investment.

For what it's worth I took the initial post as a heads up to other people already on the Patreon to make sure to check it rather than a tease for non-members.

typeforty

Yeah, I guess so. But as an Ian Boldsworth thread, it's probably fair to assume not everyone on it has a subscription to Dodds' Patreon. Anyway, I snapped, I regret it, let's get on with business.

BritishHobo

Ah I do see what you mean. I was thinking of the Patreons as one unit, when obviously as you say, not everyone will be on both.

Either way, you'll be happy with the post that's just come through.

And the show is now sold out, Barry just posted to say.

sutin

Does anyone have the unedited Ben Dover episode of the P&G Fubar Show? I've always been super curious to hear but have never managed to track it down!

I also can't find the 'Best Of Series One' compilation of The Ray Peacock Podcast, but that one is much less important. I'd still like to have it for my collection though.

Thanks guys.

Replies From View

Quote from: sutin on September 25, 2019, 11:20:49 PM
Does anyone have the unedited Ben Dover episode of the P&G Fubar Show? I've always been super curious to hear but have never managed to track it down!

Hmm; I might have.  I will check tonight.

Pink Gregory

So this year has been the year of P+G for me; starting in April I've done all of the Ray Peacock podcast, Peacock and Gamble and now I'm about halfway through the Fubar run.

I do have a tendency to be enthralled by radio double acts (John and Elis, Adam and Joe, Nick and Nat's Fan Club) but P+G have really stuck to me in a big way.  I'm a little saddened that post P+G Fubar that Ian is perhaps a bit less playful and a little more cantankerous - more like his Parapod self I suppose - and I have really no interest in Ed Gamble's stuff.

Would have got a bit tired I suppose, either that or I'm spectacularly undemanding and just want to hear the man be silly.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 26, 2019, 01:34:19 PM
So this year has been the year of P+G for me; starting in April I've done all of the Ray Peacock podcast, Peacock and Gamble and now I'm about halfway through the Fubar run.

I do have a tendency to be enthralled by radio double acts (John and Elis, Adam and Joe, Nick and Nat's Fan Club) but P+G have really stuck to me in a big way.  I'm a little saddened that post P+G Fubar that Ian is perhaps a bit less playful and a little more cantankerous - more like his Parapod self I suppose - and I have really no interest in Ed Gamble's stuff.

Would have got a bit tired I suppose, either that or I'm spectacularly undemanding and just want to hear the man be silly.

Been listening to Matthew Crosby & Gamble's Radio X show the last few weeks, and it does remind me of P&G's days of joyfully butting heads with the wannabe trendy bosses at Fubar.  It starts off a little shakily, but it's worth a go.  It has the silliness ye seek.  Radio seems to bring out the best in some people.  Well, Russell Brand and Ed Gamble.

BritishHobo

Ed's been lovely good fun on Taskmaster recently as well. I feel a bit bad because I don't tend to follow him very much, but have Ian content being consumed near-constantly. Cos I do love Ed - he's always got that infectious joy that made me love them. Really think his various Richard the Wanker/Raji Letters/Complaint Letters/Film Pitches were some of the funniest stuff they did. And if there's one moment that always comes to mind and cracks me up at random moments it's Ed's petulant fury throughout the diet section in the Ray Peacock podcast. Fucking lovely.

Ah. I always wish I could find another podcast that hits that spot of just relentless silly playfulness. It was so perfect.

sutin

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2019, 12:09:50 PM
Hmm; I might have.  I will check tonight.

Thank you sir! You don't know how excited I am to hear it, even though I know it'll be pretty damn unpleasant.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sutin on September 26, 2019, 06:28:47 PM
Thank you sir! You don't know how excited I am to hear it, even though I know it'll be pretty damn unpleasant.

It's not actually that bad. Just a bit grotty.

RicoMNKN

If we're doing requests, does anyone have clips of when their listeners phoned the Jon Gaunt show whilst on the toilet?  I've heard Ian mention it a few times.

Dusty Substance

Anyone else stuck with the FUBAR shows? I used to love it but haven't listened since before the Summer. As mentioned by others on this thread, the show is best when it's just Ian and Nat (and Barry) talking to each other, but between all the mostly nice-but-dull guests and Ian's dogshit taste in music I can't be bothered to listen any more. Have I missed any good shows? Any Barry appearances? And is The Parapod Movie out any time soon?

DrGreggles

The Fubar shows are still great.
I think they'd be even greater with less Nat though.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 27, 2019, 02:34:07 PM
I think they'd be even greater with less Nat though.

I'd have agreed in the early shows when it was hard not to see Nat as having the impossible task of replacing Ed.  However, nowadays, I think it's quite a nice relationship to listen to.   They seem to have developed a genuine friendship over the years.

DrGreggles

They probably have, but I find her to be a bit of a comedy vacuum.

BritishHobo

I've not listened in a while, but I kind of have that pattern with the FUBAR shows. I let them pile up for a bit, and then plough through them all in one go. It's nothing related to quality, it's just easy to fall behind when you've also got Patreon posts and the like. I've also got a massive backlog of David Earl's podcasts and SHITLOADS of Barry's off Patreon. I really enjoy the FUBAR shows though. I remember skipping the guests on the first few P&G shows because I just naturally assumed I would hate anyone who wasn't Ed or Ray/Ian chipping in. But I was won over quickly because I think Ian has a lovely interview style. He takes the guests as he finds them, in a very earnest way, and it means he gets some really interesting conversation even out of people you (or he) assume will be shit. I think what's great is he gets to the heart of what drives people creatively, why they do whatever it is that they do.

Replies From View

Quote from: sutin on September 25, 2019, 11:20:49 PM

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this.  I've just checked and I have a three hour version of episode 5 of their Fubar show - is this what you'd be looking for?

Replies From View

sutin check your PMs from two days ago!  Let me know if it wasn't what you were after!

sutin

Quote from: Replies From View on October 02, 2019, 04:40:08 PM
sutin check your PMs from two days ago!  Let me know if it wasn't what you were after!

Hey! Sorry, haven't been on here in a few days! I downloaded the file from you and will listen in work this afternoon. I'll let you know if it's the right episode later. Thank you for taking the time to send it, very much appreciated.

sutin

Quote from: Replies From View on October 02, 2019, 04:40:08 PM

That's the one! Thanks again.

DrGreggles

Anyone else going to The Parapod Live this year?

DrGreggles

PATREONS CHECK YOUR NOTIFICATIONS

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 16, 2019, 06:18:54 PM
PATREONS CHECK YOUR NOTIFICATIONS
Very jealous of anyone who's lucky enough to be able to take advantage of the above. Sadly I can't justify the expense it would entail.

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 03, 2019, 10:37:27 PM
Anyone else going to The Parapod Live this year?

I am! Can't wait. Glad I made that daft impulse purchase however many months ago. I seem to remember they sold out within a couple of hours.
First one I've gone to as well. Never even been to Nottingham either. Not sure what, if any, reason I'm typing all this...

DrGreggles

The Parapod Live will be great fun.
The pub it's in is good too, and Ian and Barry are both very approachable.