Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 09, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
I'm sure there's barely a day goes by I don't make myself smile or laugh just by remembering a bit from one of the episodes.

Me too, lately I've been thinking about Ed's version of Star Wars and also his vision of the future. I can't remember which episodes they're in, only that they were utterly joyous.

Sin Agog

Anyone got a link to the full Peacock & Gamble Fubar shows?  I know there used to be a link to an archive floating about (p'raps courtesy of Pilkipedia?) but the fuck if I can find it.  Wouldn't be surprised if Ian took it down as it was made around the same time as the breakdown talked about in the Mental podcast.  Ye Gods! he was funny for someone at the end of his psychological tether.

Ringside

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 09, 2017, 04:56:27 PM

Not sure I've ever laughed as long or as repeatedly at anything as I did at Ray's Muppet obsession and breakdown.

I know I've heard this, but I can't remember which one of my files it's on. Don't by any chance have a link to it online do you?

Thank you.

BritishHobo

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 09, 2017, 05:14:13 PM
What happened when they went back to Pontefract with some fans of the podcast? I got the impression they were going to release that as another special but it's never been mentioned since.

IIRC, they briefly discussed it somewhere and I'm sure said something about it not really being good enough for release. Possibly it's the episode they discussed the Dylatov Pass mystery, then knocked it on the head because they felt it just wasn't fun.

BritishHobo

Quote from: ASFTSN on February 09, 2017, 05:13:00 PM
Is that with Ed reprimanding him for being an 'orrible little Victorian orphan begging for pigs?

This all looks so shit written down.

That's the one!

Quote from: Ringside on February 10, 2017, 02:04:21 AM
I know I've heard this, but I can't remember which one of my files it's on. Don't by any chance have a link to it online do you?

Thank you.

Not sure if it's available online, but it happens in episode 65. It starts in episode 63 with Ray asking for specific Pigs in Space figures that you can't get in the UK. He keeps asking in episode 64, then Ed takes him to task for it in 65, and says Ray's not allowed to mention the Muppets anymore. 'Oh hello sir, hello sir. Oh, I'm only missing two pigs. Please can I 'ave a pig sir, in my little bucket?'

Ray's breakdown, where he admits he's got 'a Muppet problem' comes in at about ten minutes. 'I don't think I'll ever be happy until I've got everything of the Muppets. I don't think I'm ever gonna be happy until I AM KERMIT!'

ASFTSN

Egg Gamble standup in that London next Friday/Saturday.  Not to derail too much but what's the CaB verdict on his current set?

DrGreggles

Ringside

I love Barry. I wish there was more of him out there (online I mean).

DrGreggles

Episode 5 is up!

That's Barry's 'I have done research' face.

Mini

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 14, 2017, 12:19:04 PM
Ready for the next episode?

Bingo! (I am 15 minutes in.)

Spoiler alert
"And it's hidden her e-cig."
[close]

Fry

I love this podcast so much, I've basically been binging on every Ian Boldsworth's put out (online) for the last year - I really could listen to him talk for days on end[nb]indeed I have[/nb].

Barry saying "cubby hole" is one of the things that makes me laugh every time I think of it.

DrGreggles

I lasted 4 minutes into episode 6 this morning before bursting out laughing on the bus (and getting some strange looks).

Spoiler alert
"Wonky tit"
[close]

Glad to hear that Ian and Barry are looking for other projects to do together when The Parapod ends.

BritishHobo

Fucking hell, that has to be the weirdest (and funniest) thing he's ever said.

Spoiler alert
Hand over my mouth on the bus at the broken leg line. Fucking topped with 'and I said 'well, when we evolve from lions...' and all that...'
[close]

BritishHobo

Spoiler alert
"John, Ringo, Matthew... what have you done?! Have I been fucking hypnotised?!"
[close]

BritishHobo

Funniest episode they've done, even before they get to the 'conspiracy'. Shame then, about this:

IIRC, this is sort of what happened with Raji. People who didn't know Ray or Raji took Ray's dynamic with him as a green light to themselves send him abuse about being a paedo cunt who can't act. I think people often forget there's a very different tone when it's coming from a stranger over the internet, and that being a fan isn't the same thing as being Barry's friend.

Milverton

Well that's not very good news, and a part of me wonders if that might actually be the end, albeit only based on hints so subtle over the three series they might not exist beyond my imagination. Perhaps I'm the only one who get the impression one person thinks the whole thing might be a little beneath him and that person is clearly extremely ambitious. I do sometimes wonder if there is an almost Shearsmithian degree of sensitivity at play on one side of the equation.

It's the greatest podcast of the last few years for me, so I hope the last four episodes see the light of day.

ASFTSN

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 22, 2017, 08:22:48 PM

IIRC, this is sort of what happened with Raji. People who didn't know Ray or Raji took Ray's dynamic with him as a green light to themselves send him abuse about being a paedo cunt who can't act. I think people often forget there's a very different tone when it's coming from a stranger over the internet, and that being a fan isn't the same thing as being Barry's friend.

Yeah, that was the reason they gave for stopping I think.  Real shame but perhaps unsurprising.  I enjoyed the podcasts with Raji but then when you listen to the live special ones there's a definite Legend Gary vibe from the crowd.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Milverton on February 22, 2017, 11:38:03 PM
Well that's not very good news, and a part of me wonders if that might actually be the end, albeit only based on hints so subtle over the three series they might not exist beyond my imagination. Perhaps I'm the only one who get the impression one person thinks the whole thing might be a little beneath him and that person is clearly extremely ambitious. I do sometimes wonder if there is an almost Shearsmithian degree of sensitivity at play on one side of the equation.

It's the greatest podcast of the last few years for me, so I hope the last four episodes see the light of day.

I think they'll finish this series off, but there won't be any more. Not that there was a plan to anyway.
The impression I get is that, because of the nature of the podcast, those who listen for non-comedy reasons are the ones causing shit (rather than, in Raji's case, comedy fans thinking they're joining in).

Also a 16 hour edit sounds like a bloody nightmare!

Replies From View

Andrew Collins got abuse during the Collings and Herrin days, apparently.  He used to complain about it in the podcast which probably only added fuel to the fire.

Karl Pilkington used to get something similar too.  Packages would be delivered with "head like a fucking orange?" scribbled in biro next to his address.

Milverton

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 23, 2017, 09:37:43 AM
I think they'll finish this series off, but there won't be any more. Not that there was a plan to anyway.
The impression I get is that, because of the nature of the podcast, those who listen for non-comedy reasons are the ones causing shit (rather than, in Raji's case, comedy fans thinking they're joining in).

Also a 16 hour edit sounds like a bloody nightmare!

Indeed. I was shocked to hear that. It would drive you round the twist.

As funny as the latest episode is it is the first one where I've thought enough is enough. Four great ones to finish it off would be a fitting end to a memorable series which I will return to regularly.

Mini

I hope they do come up with another project together. I don't really care what, I'd happily just listen to Barry talk about whatever he feels like.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mini on February 23, 2017, 03:33:29 PM
I hope they do come up with another project together. I don't really care what, I'd happily just listen to Barry talk about whatever he feels like.

This would be good.  One thing about Parapod Conspiracies is I kind of feel he doesn't really care about any of these.  Not as much as series 1 and 2 anyway.  He doesn't particularly believe any of it.

He needs (someone like) Ian to talk sense into him, so he's not just rambling on unchallenged, but he also needs to have his own drive to investigate these things.  Parapod Conspiracies lacks the latter.  It's just "I've half-heartedly read Wikipedia about this random thing that fits the given brief".

Mini

They should bring back Ed's Amazing Births.

3D

Quote from: Milverton on February 22, 2017, 11:38:03 PM
Perhaps I'm the only one who get the impression one person thinks the whole thing might be a little beneath him and that person is clearly extremely ambitious.

Boldsworth woz 'ere.

BritishHobo

I genuinely dunno where you'd get the impression that he thinks it's beneath him. He's the one who created it and edits it. It's a fuck of a lot of work to put in if he wants to be doing literally anything else.

Mini

From the moment Barry says he's been
Spoiler alert
shaving using shampoo
[close]
you know this'll be a good one.

DrGreggles

Yet again, The Parapod has caused me to laugh like a loon on public transport.

I bloody love it.

Ringside

Cracked up at the Shampoo confession.

non capisco

"Drive to your car?!! Bit lazy!"

Please keep working together forever, Barry and Ian.