Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The only thing I remember about the Fubar shows was the one where they had a bit about a presenter dying and having mock tributes from other presenters and Justin Lee Collins doing one that was clearly repeating things people had said about him after the unpleasantness and it was fucking batshit

DrGreggles

Just got my ticket for The Parapod Live in February!

MojoJojo

I have now found the Gamble and Peacock FUBAR shows. They do seem to be the best of his earlier work.

There's something about the balance in the Parapod, between talking about a subject and two blokes just messing about that I've not been able to find elsewhere.

sutin

If anyone needs any Peacock/P&G pods (I have everything including the full unedited versions of the FUBAR shows with music), just give me a shout. I gathered all those through the kindness of C&B users, so happy to share.

Dusty Substance

The most recent couple of Dodds Incarcerated have been excellent. Ian asked Barry to come up with some ideas for Reality T.V shows and the answers were quite something.

Without wishing to rehash an old argument, I do find it astonishing that Barry, a 38 year old (call it 40) adult, can think the things he thinks.

Look, I know he's not a character, but how can he even ask a question like
Spoiler alert
"Can a firework hit the moon?"
[close]

MojoJojo

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 02, 2020, 07:50:50 PM
Without wishing to rehash an old argument, I do find it astonishing that Barry, a 38 year old (call it 40) adult, can think the things he thinks.

He is actually 40 next month. I know cos he ended up giving out his birthdate at some point during the parapods and I remembered as it's nearly the same as mine. Which is weird.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 02, 2020, 07:50:50 PM
The most recent couple of Dodds Incarcerated have been excellent. Ian asked Barry to come up with some ideas for Reality T.V shows and the answers were quite something.

I was howling at the one the other day where
Spoiler alert
he's talking about his time at Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
[close]

MojoJojo

Yeah, that was incredible. I mean, the fact he's doing
Spoiler alert
Brazilian jiu-jitsu
[close]
is enough to get a laugh, but then it just builds more and more.
(Just in case you didn't see it, he made a special request that that episode not be discussed outside the patreon as he doesn't want it getting back to some of the other people).

sutin

Hi! Does anyone have The Mental Podcast episodes? I can't find them online anywhere...

DrGreggles

Quote from: sutin on December 06, 2020, 09:26:05 PM
Hi! Does anyone have The Mental Podcast episodes? I can't find them online anywhere...

Ian didn't renew the hosting of them, but I'm sure they're available somewhere.
Not sure if I have them. I'll check.

sutin

Thanks man. I feel like i've looked everywhere online but haven't given up yet. I'd love to hear it.

Dusty Substance

Continuing my late 2020 binge re-listen of Peacock & Gamble and I've reached the "Where's Dolan?" FUBAR episode.

It truly is an amazing few hours of radio with a genuine sense of concern regarding the missing Dolan, plus all the usual P&G shenanigans (Ray gets told off by the producer after instructing a 15 year old boy to Google "tits").

Incredible stuff - Shame only about 12 people have ever heard it.

non capisco

Also currently listening to the FUBAR episodes as well (turning off at the end when that odious cunt Justin lee Collins appears for the handover, mind you, the only good thing about that happening is it reminded me of the old tag "Remember Knight Rider, your honour?") . Just finished the first two, quite interesting how the double act dynamic seems to have changed from what I remember of the P&G Podcast. Ed seems much more of a wry, disparaging straight man on these, I remember the high/low daft/sensible staus being a lot more fluid on the older Peacock & Gamble stuff. Although the positions do change for 'Ed's Amazing Births' which is almost like a proto-Parapod.

Just got to the Ben Dover episode which I seem to remember causing some controversy at the time for some reason and the podcast is shorter than the others, assuming a load was cut from the original broadcast?

typeforty

Ian's always been quite down on the Where's Dolan episode IIRC - I thought it was great, I remember hearing it live.

And yeah, the Ben Dover interview was just really unpleasant - Ian and Ed asked for it to be pulled from the repeats/podcast.

BritishHobo

I loved Where's Dolan. As has been said, genuine sense of chaos and panic, even with it being put-on. They really were the only two genuinely anarchic ones on that station, it's a shame they had to share the airwaves with cunts like Dolan.

Has anyone got an episode/timestamp for Ray and Ed listening to the circus jingle?

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 13, 2020, 03:30:44 PM
Has anyone got an episode/timestamp for Ray and Ed listening to the circus jingle?

I think it was the penultimate episode.

sutin

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 06, 2020, 09:29:00 PM
Ian didn't renew the hosting of them, but I'm sure they're available somewhere.
Not sure if I have them. I'll check.

Any luck dude? They don't seem to be out there at all.

DrGreggles

BritishHobo

Started a FUBAR re-listen thanks to this thread. I've not listened to them since FUBAR put them up for download at the end of 2014. At the time, I was listening under the fully oblivious impression that Ray & Ed would doubtless be back ASAP with another project. I expect that listening now, knowing that it was the end of their partnership - and the sad nature of that - is going to give it an even weirder atmosphere.

BritishHobo

Also I'm sure I have The Mental Podcast on an older phone. I'll have a look tomorrow. I really need to organise my Boldsworth collection and get it in order.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 04, 2020, 12:54:43 PM
(Just in case you didn't see it, he made a special request that that episode not be discussed outside the patreon as he doesn't want it getting back to some of the other people).

I hadn't, and will duly bite my lip. Shame as it'd be a perfect introduction.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: non capisco on December 11, 2020, 04:34:14 PM
Also currently listening to the FUBAR episodes as well (turning off at the end when that odious cunt Justin lee Collins appears for the handover, mind you, the only good thing about that happening is it reminded me of the old tag "Remember Knight Rider, your honour?")

I really properly laughed when Ray addressed the Justin Lee Collins thing during the where's Dolan episode. JLC had recorded a tribute to the "late" Mark Dolan and Ray, who had already interacted with him on at least three episodes, just says something along the lines of "Bit weird that innit? The Justin Lee Collins thing. Is nobody going to mention it?".

A few things I've noticed/realised whilst re-listening to the FUBAR shows:

Ed was always funny,  right from his first appearance on TRPP, but he seemed to get smarter and quicker as he lost the weight.

The Boson Legal theme tune bit is never not funny.

It's obviously horrible to go through a breakdown, but Ray is at his funniest during the "breakdown" episodes.

typeforty

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 14, 2020, 12:53:01 PM
Ed was always funny,  right from his first appearance on TRPP, but he seemed to get smarter and quicker as he lost the weight.

I mean, I suspect it was a lot more to do with the fact he was doing more and more work as a professional comedian, and as such sharpening his skills, than the fact he'd gone up a dozen notches on his belt...

sutin

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 13, 2020, 09:26:47 PM
Also I'm sure I have The Mental Podcast on an older phone. I'll have a look tomorrow. I really need to organise my Boldsworth collection and get it in order.

Oh wonderful! Fingers crossed, Ian's done well to wipe all traces of it from the net.

jimboslice

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 14, 2020, 12:53:01 PM
I really properly laughed when Ray addressed the Justin Lee Collins thing during the where's Dolan episode. JLC had recorded a tribute to the "late" Mark Dolan and Ray, who had already interacted with him on at least three episodes, just says something along the lines of "Bit weird that innit? The Justin Lee Collins thing. Is nobody going to mention it?".

A few things I've noticed/realised whilst re-listening to the FUBAR shows:

Ed lost the weight before Fubar though. He was thin during Heart-Throbs (2013) and the Fubar show started in 2014.

DrGreggles

He'd lost weight by the time 'Don't Want To Be On Telly' was on in Edinburgh, so I think that people are reading too much into that being a factor.

Sebastian Cobb

I think I'm only about a month behind, lol at how several episodes seem to have descended into Barry's
Spoiler alert
wanking habits
[close]

Sin Agog

Quote from: jimboslice on December 15, 2020, 02:37:02 PM
Ed lost the weight before Fubar though. He was thin during Heart-Throbs (2013) and the Fubar show started in 2014.

I think he was in between filming season 1 and starting season 2 of Almost Royal when he did the Fubar thing.

Man, just wait until you get to the introduction of the new jingle.  Apart from the time my friend walked head-on into a lamppost and leapt back up and tried to continue walking all casual like as if no one noticed, that is the most I've laughed at anything ever.

BritishHobo

Ian talked about that 'hearing the jingle moment' in a new podcast - very moving, honest little chat he has about the strange atmosphere in those FUBAR shows due to the difficult background.

I've upped my pledge after having dropped it a year or so aho due to money issues. My partner got me the three ParaPod movie posters for Christmas. Purely to embarass me, she added a little message to Ian on the Etsy store to tell him what a big supporter I am, and that I went to the premiere. Posters turned up with a little handwritten note ripping the absolute piss out of me for my 'support', since she was the one paying. I think it might be my favourite thing I own now.

Got to get on with Dodds Incarcerated. I'm still only in the single digits on the episodes.