Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I like it because I think it's a nice avenue for humour, Ian channeling the total contempt he feels after a career spent dealing with that type of executive.

I could hardly breath in the latest episode at
Spoiler alert
Barry's impressions of a really really hateful Gok Wan and Jamie Oliver, hurling abuse at the poor contestants.
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

I think I like it when they go off topic a bit, Barry talking about
Spoiler alert
accidentally face-timing his dr
[close]
for instance. Although the proposed concept was also quite good
Spoiler alert
in a mean-spirited way that makes it unfeasible[/spoiler.
[close]

DrGreggles

MojoJojo

God yes! "Christopher Biggins
Spoiler alert
listentoit!
[close]
". And then there's the twist.

It's good actually, because I was starting to get a bit tired with the format after last weeks.

DrGreggles

Ian has posted some of the rescheduled Parapod Movie (w/ Q&A) dates on his Patreon*:

14 Sept – Sale Waterside
15 Sept – Chorley Little Theatre
16 Sept– Nottingham Savoy
17 Sept – Stockton ARC
19 Sept – Leeds Carriageworks

The new dates for the Everyman cinema ones are still pending.

*it's OK for me to post here though

BritishHobo

None near enough me to comfortably travel mid-pandemic - although I did go to two last year, so fair's fair to let someone else have a go.

Can't believe the Chester screening is the last time I went out properly. Last film I saw, last evening out, last large event.

DrGreggles

There's about 5 more with no new date yet, and probably more to come after those, so it should come somewhere near eventually.

The new dates mean I'll see it twice in 3 days!
Not that I'm complaining - it's a terrific film.

Schrodingers Cat

My front row ticket for Leeds has carried over...a full 18 months after I was meant to see it initially!

I am genuinely pleased for Ian (and Barry) though - they way they'd had a full premiere, right before the world went to shit and no one knew if it would ever see the light of day again. I can totally see why he's not released it on streaming before now, but it has been an awful long wait. Still another 5 months to go!

Rev+

They've changed the name of the film apparently - anyone know what it's now called?

DrGreggles

Laughed so hard at Ian explaining Barry's TV show pitch back to him in today's Ideas Man.

Spoiler alert
"You've got a mum trying to arouse her own son!"
[close]

Spoiler alert
"Well it does sound bad if you put it like that."
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on April 06, 2021, 02:12:57 PM
My front row ticket for Leeds has carried over...a full 18 months after I was meant to see it initially!

I am genuinely pleased for Ian (and Barry) though - they way they'd had a full premiere, right before the world went to shit and no one knew if it would ever see the light of day again. I can totally see why he's not released it on streaming before now, but it has been an awful long wait. Still another 5 months to go!

Has anyone else got tickets to see this at an Everyman with no real clue what's going on? I just had a half-arsed search of my emails and the most recent is from Boldsworth on Patreon in January saying he'd not heard anything.

Nothing from the chain themselves apart from the original confirmation.

DrGreggles

Not yet. Maybe they don't know if/when they'll be opening yet.

Rev+

'The Parapod:  A Very British Ghost Hunt', then.

International markets and all that, I suppose.  'The Parapod Movie' does sound a bit like you'd have been expected to have seen a TV series or something first, so it suggests it's a bit 'closed'.  It does make me wonder what the release strategy for this will eventually be - I'd been expecting a streaming platform at best, or a paid download as more likely, but maybe they're intending to properly go for it.

DrGreggles

Those posters look good though.

I wonder if this will increase the value of the one I got at the premiere...

paruses

Just using the Quick Reply, here.

I was a listener to The Parapod but dropped out more to listening fatigue than because I was bored of it. I tend to binge stuff. That was quite a while ago now thinking about it so might go back to it.

Is the Dodds Incarcerated a Patreon only podcast? I couldn't find it on Google Podcasts. Reason I use that is that I can listen while supposedly at work. Usually I use Pocketcasts.

Would love to have a bit of a retrospective of RP/IB stuff. The P&G podcasts used to keep me going on very long commutes for the best part of a year so have very fond memories of them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: paruses on April 28, 2021, 12:00:43 PM
Is the Dodds Incarcerated a Patreon only podcast?

Yes, it's on both Ian's and Barry's Patreons - as is Ideas Man.

paruses

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 28, 2021, 12:47:55 PM
Yes, it's on both Ian's and Barry's Patreons - as is Ideas Man.

Thanks. Am sure I can find a few quid for them so will have a look.

ETA - just had a look. Ian's Patreon levels have fair made me laugh so he will be getting the most I can afford and be disappointed with it.

Dusty Substance

Can't remember the context but Barry saying "Ditto a croissant" on the latest Ideas Man gave me a proper good laugh - Surprised Ian didn't pick up on this splendid phrase.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 28, 2021, 06:56:21 PM
Can't remember the context but Barry saying "Ditto a croissant" on the latest Ideas Man gave me a proper good laugh - Surprised Ian didn't pick up on this splendid phrase.

Wasn't that a week ago?
Spoiler alert
when Dodds was explaining his sausage iron, because cooking sausages is bad for his OCD because of the splatter, and croissants are bad too because of the crumbs
[close]

You might have one ready to go.

Sebastian Cobb

Is anyone on barry's patreon instead of Ian's? Just wondering what the content is like. I find Ian's quite busy and although I like his work I can't say I've been curious to go with any more of his stuff outside the double act, just wondering if I might get more out of Dodds' one.

DrGreggles

I'm on both.
Barry doesn't produce as much content, but still makes 3 or 4 posts a week - including his regular 'Is It Bollocks?' podcast, where he interviews a guest about ghosts.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 29, 2021, 11:38:47 AM
You might have one ready to go.

Ah, my mistake. I binge listened to the last three in one sitting and got them mixed up.

MoreauVasz

Having adored the Parapod and kept an eye on this thread, I subscribed to Ian's feed and won't be sticking around TBH.

Firstly, there is so much content and all of it needs more ruthless editing. I get the impression that he just sits at home, turns on the mic, waffles for a bit, edits out the ums and coughs, then sticks it up. Result is that the patreon feed is this succession of mutating projects that all merge into one another. The Ideas Man podcasts are a nice concept but they are so wildly variable in focus, length,  and quality that it feels more like a series of unstructured conversations.

Secondly, I find the Barry/Ian dynamic quite one-note and unpleasant. I felt that, as it went on, the Parapod really suffered from its tendency to degenerate into 'Dodds says something a bit silly, Ian mocks him with a degree of bad faith so pronounced that it moves beyond character comedy and progresses on to demonstrating Boldsworth's weird intellectual insecurities and his lingering resentment at having to play the idiot/victim in his previous comic partnership' and a lot of the modern stuff they're doing is even further down this particular rabbit hole, which is a real shame.

I think my view of this partnership is that Dodds is interesting, if only for the weight of his daft ideas, but Boldsworth as petulant Napoleonic superego? Nope.

DrGreggles

Yeah, it's probably not for you.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MoreauVasz on May 01, 2021, 08:27:38 AM
Having adored the Parapod and kept an eye on this thread, I subscribed to Ian's feed and won't be sticking around TBH.

Firstly, there is so much content and all of it needs more ruthless editing. I get the impression that he just sits at home, turns on the mic, waffles for a bit, edits out the ums and coughs, then sticks it up. Result is that the patreon feed is this succession of mutating projects that all merge into one another. The Ideas Man podcasts are a nice concept but they are so wildly variable in focus, length,  and quality that it feels more like a series of unstructured conversations.

Secondly, I find the Barry/Ian dynamic quite one-note and unpleasant. I felt that, as it went on, the Parapod really suffered from its tendency to degenerate into 'Dodds says something a bit silly, Ian mocks him with a degree of bad faith so pronounced that it moves beyond character comedy and progresses on to demonstrating Boldsworth's weird intellectual insecurities and his lingering resentment at having to play the idiot/victim in his previous comic partnership' and a lot of the modern stuff they're doing is even further down this particular rabbit hole, which is a real shame.

I think my view of this partnership is that Dodds is interesting, if only for the weight of his daft ideas, but Boldsworth as petulant Napoleonic superego? Nope.

I don't think I feel quite so strong or negative about either of these points but agree with what you're saying on a low level if that makes sense.

I respect/like Boldsworth but don't think his solo stuff is 100% for me although love the stuff he does with Dodds.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 01, 2021, 04:07:20 PM
I don't think I feel quite so strong or negative about either of these points but agree with what you're saying on a low level if that makes sense.

I respect/like Boldsworth but don't think his solo stuff is 100% for me although love the stuff he does with Dodds.

I think I struggle with the contempt. I'm not sure why as there are loads of Bully/victim double acts that
I do enjoy. I think it might be that their dynamic doesn't rely on Dodds being silly purely in order to set up conventional jokes. More often than not Boldsworth's response is just contemptuous laughter and/or a bad faith argument so it reads less as comic mockery and more as naked contempt.

I'm only vaguely aware of Boldsworth's solo stand up stuff.

non capisco

Quote from: MoreauVasz on May 01, 2021, 08:27:38 AM
and his lingering resentment at having to play the idiot/victim in his previous comic partnership

Not sure about this, is that something Ian's said? I may be misremembering but I thought the high/low status in the Peacock & Gamble act used to be pretty fluid, although by the time of the final FUBAR stuff Ed seemed to have become much more of a traditional sardonic foil.

DrGreggles

Yeah, that's bullshit. It's essentially him being Bobby Ball (one of his heroes).
That was the character he played in P&G, but it's not as if he was forced into it (and certainly didn't resent it - the double act was his idea).

If there's anything he came to resent it's the comedy industry.

Quote from: non capisco on May 02, 2021, 02:19:53 PM
Not sure about this, is that something Ian's said? I may be misremembering but I thought the high/low status in the Peacock & Gamble act used to be pretty fluid, although by the time of the final FUBAR stuff Ed seemed to have become much more of a traditional sardonic foil.

Yeah, they swapped roles depending on the segment. I think Ian played the silliness more, but with stuff like 'Ed's Amazing Births,' it was more like the relationship with Dodds, with Ian playing the serious one.

BritishHobo

Yeah, I think Ian has displayed throughout his career a real commitment to comedy dynamics separate from reality. Following the Big and Daft retrospectives on his Patreon has really hammered home the development of his comedy style in that respect, and how clearly he applied those lessons to Peacock and Gamble. The reason that podcast remains my ultimate favourite is that dynamic you guys have mentioned, whereby either one of them could switch seamlessly into being the naive and childlike buffoon, with the other as straight man. Ray's Muppet breakdown is a great example - "You are not allowed any more Muppets." "You are a shit."

Despite how horrified I was on my first gullible listen to The Ray Peacock Podcast ("They're smashing Raji's things!"), I have never felt that Ian actually crosses the line in real life with any of his co-hosts in the way that, say, Gervais did with Karl Pilkington on Xfm. It's all an agreed and consensual part of the comedy conceit, and he's refreshingly willing to tell fans to fuck off when they cross a line and take it upon themselves to abuse Raji or Barry.