Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 02, 2021, 10:36:33 PM
Yeah, I think Ian has displayed throughout his career a real commitment to comedy dynamics separate from reality. Following the Big and Daft retrospectives on his Patreon has really hammered home the development of his comedy style in that respect, and how clearly he applied those lessons to Peacock and Gamble.

I've only seen Big and Daft via Ian's Patreon, but it seems like Rob was the idiot in that.
The P&G podcast dynamic of the idiot alternating (depending on who it needed to be for that section) is a weird one, as I can't think of another example of it.
The live shows were always Ray as the idiot though.

non capisco

The Bobby Ball inspiration seems so obvious now you've pointed it out, Greggles.

BritishHobo

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 02, 2021, 10:52:12 PM
I've only seen Big and Daft via Ian's Patreon, but it seems like Rob was the idiot in that.
The P&G podcast dynamic of the idiot alternating (depending on who it needed to be for that section) is a weird one, as I can't think of another example of it.
The live shows were always Ray as the idiot though.

Yeah, it wasn't Ian playing the idiot in Big & Daft, I think you're right it was just Rob - I was more meaning that, having read all those posts (I'm in the same position as you, in learning about it almost entirely from Patreon), it really seemed like Rob's idiot and the dynamic of that was a significant influence on the type of idiot Ian would play onstage in the P&G shows, as you say. A big mischievous kid, which I think is what he liked to lapse into on the podcasts. Ed also playing that role (but more as a naughty teenager who kinda knows he's pushing things) was definitely an evolution of the dynamic rather than a copy, but either way I think it reinforces that Ian was comfortable playing the fool when he knew it would suit the humour of the act.

I always liked that about the diet sections in series 4 of The Ray Peacock Podcast as well, where he and Ed both acted up as squabbling kids before the stern Raji.

Ian's even done that recently on one of the Ideas Man episodes where he was playing a contestant on Dodds' game show, he slipped instantly back into the childlike agitator role. I think it's whatever's right to get the joke across really. I think Ian in real life, from the stuff he's said on Patreon, is a bit of a control freak when it comes to his work, but that doesn't mean it's bullying or anything and it's not necessarily a bad thing, he just wants to do things his way.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 02, 2021, 10:36:33 PM
Despite how horrified I was on my first gullible listen to The Ray Peacock Podcast ("They're smashing Raji's things!"), I have never felt that Ian actually crosses the line in real life with any of his co-hosts in the way that, say, Gervais did with Karl Pilkington on Xfm. It's all an agreed and consensual part of the comedy conceit, and he's refreshingly willing to tell fans to fuck off when they cross a line and take it upon themselves to abuse Raji or Barry.

I agree it's all better natured.

I think very occasionally it feels a bit Pilkingtonesque when Barry says something insightful and Ian shuts it down/dismisses it (Gervais did this way more with saying "you're an idiot" and made himself look small minded as a result) and Ian fails to pull on a thread that I personally think would've been interesting if things were deconstructed. I see it more like missing a goal rather than something insidious (and he's generally good at scoring them to continue the analogy).

DrGreggles

The only time I remember Ian doing this recently was when Barry was talking about how some combinations of lottery numbers are more likely than others - and he was right to call him an idiot!

Sebastian Cobb

That's sort of what I'd like them to scratch a little at times given I think it's pretty much maths vs sentimentality, but I think the deconstruction may have been interesting.

It's a minor criticism, and quite personal. It could be that many people would find that trite (and perhaps that's why it go shut down).

I still think it's very entertaining though, and think they're both doing a good job.

DrGreggles

I think it would have been the whole episode!

Sebastian Cobb

I guess that's another point - Ian's quite vocal about having to whittle things down to an episode, and while it's easy for me to say 'I think the best parts are when things take a tangent' nobody really knows how often that happens unless they have a copy of the unedited recordings. It could be that things are more experimental than I think they are but it doesn't always work.

DrGreggles

Ian has released cut audio separately before.

DrGreggles

Looks like The Parapod Live will be happening.
If any Parapod fan can be in London on 21st May and wants my spare ticket, drop me a message.

millwall32

Never heard of him before.I'll look him up.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 05, 2021, 08:26:32 PM
Looks like The Parapod Live will be happening.
If any Parapod fan can be in London on 21st May and wants my spare ticket, drop me a message.

Still available

DrGreggles

Ian's released the new trailer for the filum 're-launch' on his Patreon, and it's great.
I assume it'll be available to the plebs soon.

BritishHobo

I'm excited for the relaunch. Despite all the fun of Barry being on prison and the like, I can't imagine how frustrating it was for Ian to have the whole thing put on ice right as it was finally about to launch. Happy for him that it's gonna get another proper shot, and I can't wait to support it as best I can, whatever screenings there are. Let's hope life gives them a fairer shot than it did in Chester last year.

DrGreggles

It's genuinely really good too.

Mobbd

What's the situation Greggles? Is it coming to cinemas as per the original plan?

BritishHobo

I think Ian's keeping it a little vague as plans are still in motion, but there's a few screenings in September, and then I believe more to be announced. Hopefully allows them the opportunity to give the whole movie tour a fresh go, which will be nice.

I remember Ian saying last year that they seemed to have absolutely no interest from Welsh cinemas, so I'm banking on a Bristol screening. Even though there already was one.

Rev+

He's mentioned that there's a solid deal for the US that they're about to sign, which includes VOD.  Unless that's very time-shifted the screenings will probably have to be the life of the thing in UK cinemas, as it'll be 'available' at that point.

Dusty Substance

I really, really want The Parapod Movie to do well. Even though it's obviously not the type of film to be a financial blockbuster I hope it's well received by critics.

Sebastian Cobb

I've quite liked Barry's thing ideas.

Mobbd

Looks like Ian and Barry's RHLSTP has been rescheduled for September 6th. Hooray! https://leicestersquaretheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows/873492663

sutin

That's also nice to see that Tim Key's finally doing RHLSTP. I seem to remember Herring saying Key wasn't interested in the past.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mobbd on July 10, 2021, 05:10:03 PM
Looks like Ian and Barry's RHLSTP has been rescheduled for September 6th. Hooray! https://leicestersquaretheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows/873492663

Sold out or not on sale yet?

Mobbd

It is now sold out. But we will still get to hear and hopefully see it online quite soon.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 03, 2021, 11:47:03 AM
Ian's released the new trailer for the filum 're-launch' on his Patreon, and it's great.
I assume it'll be available to the plebs soon.

https://youtu.be/BsfEAAtZRDs

Dusty Substance

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 15, 2021, 11:44:06 PM
https://youtu.be/BsfEAAtZRDs

Looks great!

My main concern is that the film will need to introduce new audiences to the concept of the podcast, Ian and Barry's dynamic and relationship, so I'm expecting quite a bit of familiar ground will be trodden. Really looking forward to the film. Essential Halloween viewing.

Rev+

Some screenings are back on, including this Halloween one with extra stuff for any Birmingham types:

https://www.list.co.uk/event/1688716-the-parapod-a-very-british-ghost-hunt/45616-mac-midlands-arts-centre-birmingham/

The deleted scenes business might have been thrown in as an extra draw because it sounds like the film will definitely be out on VOD/streaming at the end of September in the UK.  Hooray!  No idea which platform, mind.

Sebastian Cobb

Just if anyone else had bookings at The Everyman and didn't get refunded or any correspondence there's instructions here:
https://twitter.com/theparapod/status/1416766055226163203

QuoteCan anyone who had tickets for the cancelled Everyman screenings in 2020 let US know if they weren't refunded please, AND contact talk@everymangroup.com with your original booking info.

Dusty Substance

Haven't really been enjoying Ideas Man of late. It just seems to be various spins on the same idea.