Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The work of Ian Boldsworth

Started by BritishHobo, December 02, 2016, 05:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Ringside on March 09, 2017, 08:43:32 PM
Cracked up at the Shampoo confession.

I've shaved with shampoo a few times before.  It's not so strange if:

a) you learned to shave using soap and a shaving brush, rather than shaving gel
b) you now use shower gel instead of bars of soap to wash
c) you're not squeamish about washing with shampoo rather than shower gel sometimes when the latter runs out, since they're not worlds apart and often come in 2-in-1 bottles anyway.
d) you notice that a beard is a kind of hair, and that shampoo is for hair

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 08, 2017, 09:58:58 AM
I genuinely dunno where you'd get the impression that he thinks it's beneath him. He's the one who created it and edits it. It's a fuck of a lot of work to put in if he wants to be doing literally anything else.

Ian addresses this in the latest episode.  Don't know if Ian visits this site or Milverton's been hounding people with Twitter since being set loose.

ASFTSN

"Head winks at lady."

Great episode this one.

Ringside

Quote from: Replies From View on March 10, 2017, 07:37:24 AM
I've shaved with shampoo a few times before.  It's not so strange if:

a) you learned to shave using soap and a shaving brush, rather than shaving gel
b) you now use shower gel instead of bars of soap to wash
c) you're not squeamish about washing with shampoo rather than shower gel sometimes when the latter runs out, since they're not worlds apart and often come in 2-in-1 bottles anyway.
d) you notice that a beard is a kind of hair, and that shampoo is for hair

Yeah it's not that bizarre at all, it's just that he announces it with what sounds like a mixture of pride and shame, to much laughter from Boldsworth.

I learned to shave with my dads brush and soap. Then moved to gel, then stopped shaving.

Quote from: ASFTSN on March 10, 2017, 10:45:38 AM
"Head winks at lady."

Laughed so hard at this line I got stomach cramps. Great episode all round.

Ringside

Is it me, or is the latest FUBAR episode fucked?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ringside on March 14, 2017, 01:37:42 AM
Is it me, or is the latest FUBAR episode fucked?

Are you trying to get it from their website?
I think they fuck it up on there quite a bit, but they get there in the end.

I notified them about it on Twitter a couple of months back and they re-uploaded it.

BritishHobo

It's not appearing on my podcast feed. Never been to the website before but aye, tried it and the download link is just giving a 404 message. Won't stream either.

BritishHobo

To be honest I was hoping Ringside meant 'fucked' as in 'really messed up', because the episode description kinda implies an angry, vengeful Ian.

Replies From View

Listening to the original Ray Peacock Podcast now for the first time; wasn't sure how to get hold of it until recently, so it had passed me by.

Did Ian genuinely
Spoiler alert
smash Raji's 1970s lava lamp
[close]
in that Christmas episode, or was that a trick on the listener?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on March 14, 2017, 08:01:37 PMDid Ian genuinely
Spoiler alert
smash Raji's 1970s lava lamp
[close]
in that Christmas episode, or was that a trick on the listener?

I don't want to spoil the illusion
Spoiler alert
but it wasn't real
[close]

BritishHobo

That's something I meant to bring up on here but kept forgetting. He
Spoiler alert
revealed
[close]
a while back on FUBAR that
Spoiler alert
it was him smashing an old bottle, which they pretended was Raji's picture frame, and then again later on his lava lamp.
[close]

I thought it was REALLY interesting, because it changed potentially everything about the podcasts to me. I don't know if I missed some earlier revelation, but that admission was the first time I ever heard mention of the possibility of aspects of the podcasts being staged. It means
Spoiler alert
Raji's glasses maybe didn't get snapped, or all those moments of violence were possibly staged or set up.
[close]
It puts a whole different angle on the dynamic between Raji and the two of them.

What is interesting to me is that there's literally no indication. Perhaps I'm just a gullible sod (I've always been easily taken in by fake fights, like all those Judd Apatow DVD extras where people treat Michael Cera like shit), but it seems to me that to the listener, there is absolutely no reason they would assume anything other than that Ray has just destroyed Raji's stuff. I know it's a comedy podcast, but the premise was never, to my knowledge at least, a fictional dynamic between Ray/Ed and their actor friend. It was just the three real people talking. So I always just took it for granted that everything that happened was completely real and unscripted.

BritishHobo

There was meant to be some form of conclusion to that post, but I took too long to write it and am going to bed, so just imagine it's neatly tied off.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 14, 2017, 09:53:09 PM
That's something I meant to bring up on here but kept forgetting. He
Spoiler alert
revealed
[close]
a while back on FUBAR that
Spoiler alert
it was him smashing an old bottle, which they pretended was Raji's picture frame, and then again later on his lava lamp.
[close]

I thought it was REALLY interesting, because it changed potentially everything about the podcasts to me. I don't know if I missed some earlier revelation, but that admission was the first time I ever heard mention of the possibility of aspects of the podcasts being staged. It means
Spoiler alert
Raji's glasses maybe didn't get snapped, or all those moments of violence were possibly staged or set up.
[close]
It puts a whole different angle on the dynamic between Raji and the two of them.

What is interesting to me is that there's literally no indication. Perhaps I'm just a gullible sod (I've always been easily taken in by fake fights, like all those Judd Apatow DVD extras where people treat Michael Cera like shit), but it seems to me that to the listener, there is absolutely no reason they would assume anything other than that Ray has just destroyed Raji's stuff. I know it's a comedy podcast, but the premise was never, to my knowledge at least, a fictional dynamic between Ray/Ed and their actor friend. It was just the three real people talking. So I always just took it for granted that everything that happened was completely real and unscripted.

Even before that episode Raji was often over-playing a negative reaction to Ian and Ed's nonsense, whether they were attacking him or just being generally daft.  That same tone you sometimes hear both Ian and Ed doing in the later Peacock and Gamble Podcasts, when the other one is riffing.

So I never thought Raji was genuinely perplexed/upset by their antics, and I took their dynamic as an example of comedians improvising together.  But I never knew whether Ian was prone to perhaps pushing gags a bit far, which is the impression you are led to believe happened when we're told the
Spoiler alert
picture frame and lava lamp are being smashed
[close]

That it wasn't real actually confirms a suspicion I had, and you're right, it does ruin it a tiny bit, as you wonder how much of any of it was untrue.  For example, there was a situation at the start of one of the podcasts when Raji
Spoiler alert
was apparently a bit pissed off because Ian had told a policeman that he'd been following him in his car, when actually Raji had needed to follow Ian's car to get to the location they were all going to.  Raji was pulled over by the police and it became a palaver he had to deal with
[close]
.  If that story wasn't remotely true, then it stops being as interesting to listen to.

Thanks for the info to everyone who responded to my question; I appreciate it.

Ringside

Ah, got this weeks FUBAR episode now. Happy morning at work tomorrow. Cheers all.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on March 14, 2017, 11:12:38 PM
That it wasn't real actually confirms a suspicion I had, and you're right, it does ruin it a tiny bit, as you wonder how much of any of it was untrue.  For example, there was a situation at the start of one of the podcasts when Raji
Spoiler alert
was apparently a bit pissed off because Ian had told a policeman that he'd been following him in his car, when actually Raji had needed to follow Ian's car to get to the location they were all going to.  Raji was pulled over by the police and it became a palaver he had to deal with
[close]
.  If that story wasn't remotely true, then it stops being as interesting to listen to.

That story was very true indeed. As was
Spoiler alert
the sending Raji to McDonalds for a job interview
[close]
one.
I don't think there were too many instances of things being created for the podcast overall though.

BritishHobo

Listening to the new ParaPod.
Spoiler alert
Past Barry/Future Barry
[close]
is genuinely lovely. Also another incredible
Spoiler alert
trick by Ian. It's great because he spins such a compelling, exciting story. Then comes the reveal, her.
[close]

DrGreggles

It's kind of cruel, but its main purpose is to hopefully show to Barry how his thought process fails him.

Also,
Spoiler alert
PARAPOD FILM
[close]
!!!

BritishHobo

I've been promising to donate since series 1, but I can't not, now. Fuck incentives, I'm flinging money at
Spoiler alert
PARAPOD FILM
[close]

DrGreggles

Spoiler alert
"Don't forget to put air holes in for your Pope."
[close]

There really should be a Barry Quote Generator online.

non capisco

I do the
Spoiler alert
treat for future me
[close]
thing! Firmly on Team Dodds with that one.

Replies From View

Quote from: non capisco on March 16, 2017, 06:15:59 PM
I do the
Spoiler alert
treat for future me
[close]
thing! Firmly on Team Dodds with that one.

Same here.  And I blame past me if I don't know what I'm doing due to bad planning.

non capisco

I think that might be my favourite ParaPod episode yet. Very gratifying to hear them both having so much obvious fun after that 'week's break' message made it seem like the future of the show could be questionable. Bunged 'em a tenner for the prospect of
Spoiler alert
PARAPOD THE FILM!
[close]
I absolutely bloody love this podcast, it brings such joy to my midweek.

ASFTSN

Quote from: non capisco on March 16, 2017, 09:24:41 PM
I think that might be my favourite ParaPod episode yet. Very gratifying to hear them both having so much obvious fun after that 'week's break' message made it seem like the future of the show could be questionable.

I thought the same, the two after the break have been some of the best so far.

ASFTSN

'...the Japs
Spoiler alert
sorry - that's my own abbreviation!
[close]
'

Mini

Quote from: ASFTSN on March 22, 2017, 01:44:25 PM
'...the Japs
Spoiler alert
sorry - that's my own abbreviation!
[close]
'

Of course, Fin-land! It seems so obvious!

BritishHobo

Aw fuck me, might be the funniest episode they've ever done. Ian's
Spoiler alert
childish, fey impression of Barry saying 'Roswell', and Barry's reaction. The whole AIDS/9/11 section was so perfect.
[close]
Barry journeys are always a highlight.

Ray's FUBAR prerecord for next week features an interview with Jim Sterling, I think. So excited.

DrGreggles

Barry was singing 'Bobby Shafto' on Monday's show.

non capisco

Spoiler alert
Ros-weeeeell and Barry's resulting laughing fit
[close]
was fucking brilliant.

3D

I'm a little bit surprised by the high praise for the last two or three episodes. Although Dodds remains intrinsically funny, Boldsworth has become increasingly obnoxious. Episode nine's bullying motif hasn't really been that different to previous episodes where Boldsworth has occasionally overstepped the mark.

Sorry to say that the ParaPod is going out on a bit of a whimper. Boldsworth's vaulting ego got in the way. He tells us he has no interest in it. Yes, Ian, we noticed.