Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Ideal Christmas Day Tv Line Up

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 06, 2016, 09:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I know we did this for christmas sitcom episodes recently, but what's your favourite christmas viewing in general? Mrs SMBH and I have the day to ourselves this year which I'm ecstatic about, we'll be able to have the tv on all throughout the day, something which never takes when I have to spend time with my pesky family. To start off with, she has no idea who Raymond Briggs is, so I intend to watch a double bill of The Snowman and When The Wind Blows. Also planned is the Blackadder Christmas Special, one of the good Doctor Who xmas episodes (so not this year's then!), Home Alone 2, the Roseanne episode "White Trash Christmas" (as Mrs SMBH is a huge fan), and  Moonlighting's "'Twas The Episode Before Christmas" (as before). Then I'd like to watch The Muppets Christmas Carol, and if we've time also catch Arrested Developments "Afternoon Delight", King of the Hill's "Pretty Pretty Dresses" the Father Ted special, and I dunno, both Gremlins movies to end it all.

But what about you?

Replies From View

I will be in shrunken form upon your perineum like a limpet, peering out at your TV through a hole in your trousers.

So basically all the same things as you.

doppelkorn

It's not Christmassy but I'd line up Rick Steins, Keith Floyds and Hairy Bikers for the morning - just binge on those.

I'd try and get some good episodes of River Monsters before I had my first drink at 8am.

I'll probably cheat and mainline all seven episodes of That's Rugby League! off YouTube, plus some of the stuff I've been putting off - all Chromecasted onto my lovely TV.

As I got more pissed into the evening, I'd just watch rugby league fight videos, ice hockey fight videos, rap music videos etc. on YouTube. Maybe some weird tech reviews as well. Skill.

Spoon of Ploff

A Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes marathon. I'd switch over to the Dr Who Christmas Special during one of the ill advised 'feature length' episodes... probably the one with the vampire in it. Then when I've been thoroughly depressed by Matt Lucas and Murray Gold I'll switch back in time to see the one with the missing diamond and the goose. Lovely.

Norton Canes

Tom and Jerry 'The Night Before Christmas' on a 24 hour loop.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 06, 2016, 09:02:03 PMTo start off with, she has no idea who Raymond Briggs is, so I intend to watch a double bill of The Snowman and When The Wind Blow

You know the BBC have done Ernest and Ethel for this year?

Black_Bart

As long as The Great Cat Robbery makes an appearance I'll be happy.

Kane Jones

We don't really watch TV on Christmas day[nb]we're well posh[/nb]. Only Doctor Who usually, but we probably won't even bother with that this year.
The run up to Christmas features many of the things already mentioned;
Bernard & The Genie, Tom & Jerry's The Night Before Christmas, Blackadder's Christmas Carol, Knowing Me Knowing Yule, The Box Of Delights, Yogi's First Christmas, and loads of Christmas films too. Pretty much any version of A Christmas Carol is good in my book as it's the perfect story, but honourable mentions must go to the Alastair Sim version and The Muppets, of course.

On Christmas Eve at 6pm, I will definitely be found curled up on the sofa in front of a roaring fire with a mulled wine and a mince pie with clotted cream watching The Snowman. I've watched it on Christmas Eve every year since 1982 when I was 7, so it's not going to stop now. It's pure magic to me and gives me Christmas goosebumps more than anything else. I'm 41.

Malcy

Crikey, When The Wind Blows is a bit depressing for Xmas day!

I'd just like a day of comedy Xmas specials, OFAH, Still Game, Fast Show etc. Doctor Who, a good feel good film like Love Actually or something, a couple of quiz shows and one of those 50 best programs for when i'm feeling a bit tired.

holyzombiejesus

Charlie Brown Christmas, Likely Lads Christmas special, TOTP, some kids cartoon thing on BBC1 around tea then weltering ennui, drunkeness and discomfort from slowly evolving boxing day shit until bed.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 07, 2016, 11:20:52 AM
You know the BBC have done Ernest and Ethel for this year?

I didn't, but that's great news, thanks for that.

Quote from: Kane Jones on December 07, 2016, 11:33:47 AM
We don't really watch TV on Christmas day[nb]we're well posh[/nb]. Only Doctor Who usually, but we probably won't even bother with that this year.
The run up to Christmas features many of the things already mentioned;
Bernard & The Genie, Tom & Jerry's The Night Before Christmas, Blackadder's Christmas Carol, Knowing Me Knowing Yule, The Box Of Delights, Yogi's First Christmas, and loads of Christmas films too. Pretty much any version of A Christmas Carol is good in my book as it's the perfect story, but honourable mentions must go to the Alastair Sim version and The Muppets, of course.

On Christmas Eve at 6pm, I will definitely be found curled up on the sofa in front of a roaring fire with a mulled wine and a mince pie with clotted cream watching The Snowman. I've watched it on Christmas Eve every year since 1982 when I was 7, so it's not going to stop now. It's pure magic to me and gives me Christmas goosebumps more than anything else. I'm 41.

We never watch tv normally, bar the Queen's fucking speech for 10 minutes to placate elderly relatives, which is why I'm delighted that this year I'll get the chance to, and so plan to go a little overboard on that front. And I'd somehow never seen The Snowman until last year but I instantly fell in love with it, and now plan for it to be an annual event.

Quote from: Malcy on December 07, 2016, 11:36:37 AM

Well I'm planning on tricking the missus, who will hopefully initially think it'll be just as lovely as The Snowman! Doubt we'll make it all the way through, though she does love a bit post apocalypse tv.

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on December 07, 2016, 11:36:37 AM

Romantic though, the whole
Spoiler alert
crumpling-into-potato-sacks
[close]
scene.

Viero_Berlotti

I miss the tradition of cult horror films broadcast on BBC2 late on Xmas eve / early hours of Xmas day. It would be great to stagger home from the pub in the early hours to be treated to something like Carnival Of Souls or Tod Browning's Freaks.

Twed

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for UK ad breaks from around 1991/1992, from around Christmastime. Sounds stupid, but it'll bring memory feels of being a child back.

Getting no closer than 1999 at the moment.

Dr Syntax Head

Queen's speech. Starts as normal but halfway through you hear a distant gunshot and suddenly 'Breaking news'. News camera pans to a clock tower surrounded by SWAT teams

Quincey

Circus of the Dead, if it's released in time. Followed by Victoria Wood With All The Trimmings.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Twed on December 07, 2016, 12:46:32 PM
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for UK ad breaks from around 1991/1992, from around Christmastime. Sounds stupid, but it'll bring memory feels of being a child back.

Getting no closer than 1999 at the moment.

Here's 20 minutes of ads from December 1992 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO36gjFTurQ

DrGreggles

Anything less depressing than Making A Murderer, which I watched in its entirety last year.

There's some Christmas Day NFL on, that that'll probably do.

Glebe

I'd have to think it over, but this would certainly be the main event:

How can any funny face...

Serge

If we're talking Raymond Briggs, then we're talking bloomin' Father Christmas, which is bloomin' marvellous. Has to be watched on Christmas Eve, though.

Also, although neither are particularly Christmassy, I have to see either The Wrong Trousers or A Close Shave at some point over the festive season.

Doctor Who is now a must, even if the Christmas episodes are generally among the weakest.

And yes, I always watch the Likely Lads Christmas Special at some point in the run up to the big day - I've actually just finished my annual rewatch of both series, so will be watching it sometime this week.

Twed

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 07, 2016, 08:12:49 PM
Here's 20 minutes of ads from December 1992 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO36gjFTurQ
Good job, thanks! Ridiculously I already had this saved to a playlist and just forgot about it.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 07, 2016, 08:12:49 PM

Apparently all I remember from that year is the woman frigging herself off about Hall's Soothers. That's what passed for grumble in the early nineties.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on December 07, 2016, 11:10:52 AM
A Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes marathon. I'd switch over to the Dr Who Christmas Special during one of the ill advised 'feature length' episodes... probably the one with the vampire in it. Then when I've been thoroughly depressed by Matt Lucas and Murray Gold I'll switch back in time to see the one with the missing diamond and the goose. Lovely.

Apart from the Dr. Who bit, I'm with you. Brett is perfect for the time of year.

holyzombiejesus

Hitchcock and a British horror (preferably on BBC2) when everyone else has gone to bed.

Golden E. Pump

Seeing as though the Queen's birthday was reported as the main headline on the day of Prince's death, I hope they cancel the speech for a special broadcast of 'Graffiti Bridge'. Twice. In a row.

Black_Bart

QuoteHitchcock and a British horror (preferably on BBC2) when everyone else has gone to bed.

Man and Boy wasn't that terrifying, was it?

That's right folks. it's the first Robyn Hitchcock joke of the day.

Mr Banlon

Muppet Christmas Carol
Scrooge (Non-colourized Alaistair Sim version)
Scrooge (Albert Finney musical version)
Blackadder's Christmas Carol
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol (The Grant Mitchell one where he's a loan shark/bailiff/whatever)
then Babestation's Christmas Carol (Lynda Leigh looks quite a lot like Carol Vorderman if you're squinting)

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr Banlon on December 08, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
Muppet Christmas Carol
Scrooge (Non-colourized Alaistair Sim version)
Scrooge (Albert Finney musical version)
Blackadder's Christmas Carol
Scrooged
A Christmas Carol (The Grant Mitchell one where he's a loan shark/bailiff/whatever)
then Babestation's Christmas Carol (Lynda Leigh looks quite a lot like Carol Vorderman if you're squinting)

The Evolution of Man, this is.

checkoutgirl

Star Wars (a classic)
Miracle on 42nd Street (haven't seen it yet)
Superman (original 70s version)

...and then a load of old eighties shows like Strike it Lucky, Blankety Blank (Dawson only) and The Price is Right and Play Your Cards Right.

...that kind of thing. I also like BBC 4 documentaries.