Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you bother to use the Safely remove hardware and eject media function?

Started by Thursday, December 07, 2016, 10:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Nah mate, too busy shagging
3 (21.4%)
Yes, but I do also do some shagging
2 (14.3%)
No, but not because I'm shagging, I'm just lazy and careless
3 (21.4%)
Yes, and it takes away all my shagging time
2 (14.3%)
Yes, but the fact that I'm not doing any shagging is unrelated
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Thursday

For a while I didn't even know about it. Then I learned I shouldn't have just been just yanking out USB drives willy-nilly all this time but I still mostly don't bother anyway.

Replies From View

I've actually deliberately installed an update that makes forcibly removing hardware without properly ejecting it EVEN WORSE.  I want everything ruined, everything.  Nothing can be wrecked fast enough for me.

Shit Good Nose

I have, so a Microsoft engineer qualified mate told me, fucked up a portable hard drive by just taking out the cable without ejecting it.

Summat to do with the drive not spinning down properly or somesuch.

I now always safely remove and eject[nb]all over your mum's face/ass/tits[/nb].

Glebe

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 07, 2016, 10:24:08 PM
I have, so a Microsoft engineer qualified mate told me, fucked up a portable hard drive by just taking out the cable without ejecting it.

Blue Jam

I once managed to fuck up a USB stick by pulling it out without properly ejecting it first, but it was a crappy free one I got from a conference and everything on it was backed up so it was no big loss. The housing did have a nice design though and I did like using that particular USB stick so I still learned my lesson and now I properly eject everything.

I actually like my Nando's chicken Extra Hot- don't judge me, Nando's.

Beagle 2

FUCK OFF do I

Imagine all the burny hot doing it sex gymnastics I've been cracking along with while you've been doing this SHIT

Puce Moment

im barry bethel

Twed

It's probably fine if you're only reading from the drive. The point of safely removing is to prevent it from being interrupted during a write, which will cream up that write or even jizz up the filesystem.

Neville Chamberlain

My wife's ex is a big bod in the world of computers, earns millions apparently as a security consultant, and he said ejecting safely is a load of old bollocks and is a feature designed solely for the purpose of giving users the illusion of control. Mind you, he also said that using quotation marks in search engines doesn't make the blindest bit of difference even though it quite blatantly does. He's also a "Truther". And if he was British, he probably would have voted Brexit.

Noodle Lizard

I used to occasionally not bother, especially if I was in a hurry or it was taking too long or I couldn't eject it without closing the program I was using etc.

Then I lost about 3TB of footage, which was backed up, but the project files dating back a month were not.  All because I accidentally disconnected the drive.  That scared me straight.

BlodwynPig

Don't bother, the last time something fucked up was in the 90s. Move on, friends.

BlodwynPig

my back up drive at work has been dropped on the floor by the cleaner, dragged out of its socket (by the cleaner), thumped in frustration (by me) and is basically the lame donkey of hard drives.

Still works.

Replies From View

The Roofdog

Bazooka

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 08, 2016, 09:26:29 AM
My favourite chicken medium is Mystic M-EGG

I try my hardest not to judge a book(person) by it's cover, but if you go to Nandos and order plain you should give up enjoying flavour.

Norton Canes

This reminds me of those public safety ads in the 70's, do you remember them? Christ they were scary.

"Remove a USB drive without using the Safely remove hardware and eject media function?

YOU MIGHT AS WELL SET A MAN TRAP"

Then there was that Donald Pleasence one...

"I am the spirit of careless hardware removal, ready to trap the unwary, the show-off, the fool. And this is the kind of PC where you'd expect to find me... This user is showing off. The USB drive is attached to a multi-port adaptor..."

Brrr.

Of course there are those Savile ones they don't show any more - "JUNK CLICK EVERY CLIP"

touchingcloth

I don't. I just make use of my System Requirements and "S" keys like a mother fucking g[nb]Groundskeeper, not the "G" key from my keyboard.[/nb].

I don't really, but that's the kind of thing that a lot of the people I work with would say.

Captain Z

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 08, 2016, 07:14:00 AM
and he said ejecting safely is a load of old bollocks and is a feature designed solely for the purpose of giving users the illusion of control.

I must admit, that surge of power I feel as I safely eject my flash drive is quite exhilarating. "HA, you obey ME, flash drive" I will say out loud, timing the "ME" with the physical act of pulling it out of the slot.