Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Insanely unlikely coincidences

Started by biggytitbo, December 09, 2016, 09:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

Quote from: Bingo Fury on February 04, 2019, 03:04:37 PM
And then there's the one I definitely posted before about helping a girlfriend move into a new flat to find that she was sleeping in the same room in which I'd had a one-night-stand with someone I never saw again a couple of years previously, which in a city of more than 450,000 people I thought were pretty impressive odds.

Depends how many one night stands you've had.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 10, 2016, 07:35:53 PM
A few weeks ago, as part of a larger conversation, a friend of mine told me I should read some Foucault, and I told him no.

Several days later, while sitting at a meal with this same friend, I receive a text message on my phone, from a number I don't know (a Philadelphia area code, I don't know anyone form there). The only content of the text was a photo - a snap of the cover of a collection of essays by Foucault.

I hope you replied simply with the word

No

Crabwalk

A sequel to one of Liam Neeson's breakthrough films was called Darkman III: Die Darkman Die.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 04, 2019, 11:44:21 PM
A sequel to one of Liam Neeson's breakthrough films was called Darkman III: Die Darkman Die.

Haha!  Excellent and timely observation.  If karma was still a thing, I'd give you oodles of the stuff.

a duncandisorderly

I once stood in the queue in the midland bank in bromley behind a bloke who, when I sneaked a look at his cheque book (this was in the late 1880s) had the same name as me, but with an extra initial between the D & our not-all-that-common surname. thought 'wow' at the time, & told a few people, then almost forgot about it... until two years later, working in liverpool but still with my account in the same place, I got a letter from the bank bouncing a cheque & taking £300 'back' out of my account, except it wasn't my account.... ah, you're way ahead of me.

anyway, I wish I'd kept & framed the apology I eventually got from those careless middle-name-ignoring twats in bromley, but I burned it & changed banks.

all my other 'fucking hell, small world!' stories are too long & involved for me to type up while I'm supposed to be working. soz.

Peru

Once bought a complete deck of collectible trading cards (about 200 cards) at a comics/SF fair only to find when I got home that one was missing. The following week I saw a pack of the cards (about 6 to a pack) in a newsagent and thought 'worth a go'. First card in the pack was the missing card.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Peru on February 05, 2019, 07:34:18 AM
Once bought a complete deck of collectible trading cards (about 200 cards) at a comics/SF fair only to find when I got home that one was missing. The following week I saw a pack of the cards (about 6 to a pack) in a newsagent and thought 'worth a go'. First card in the pack was the missing card.

The 'History's Greatest Dictators' collection wasn't Panini's most popular set but I bet you were over the moon when you finally spied that elusive Joseph Stalin card.

petril

Quote from: Peru on February 05, 2019, 07:34:18 AM

the other five were Dave Beasant, Dalian Atkinson, the Motherwell badge, Jim Bett and Eamon Bannon

momatt

I once went to a small music festival with an ex-ex-girlfriend, as a teenager.
On the first day she introduced me to her friend who has exactly the same name as me, which is strange enough.  Adding to this, he was wearing the same t-shirt as me.  Now we're not talking about the same generic boring tee from the high street.  We both had this one one, a (insanely cool) Fancy Froglin tee of the James Kochalka comic.
Insanely unlikely.

Cuellar

I lived with a really annoying bastard in my 2nd year at university, for his 3rd year he fucked off to Martinique for a year abroad thing.

6 years later I meet someone, a complete stranger, from Spain originally, who spent a year in Martinique at university and lived with 'the most annoying bastard I've ever known'.

Same guy. Mind-boggling.

Jockice

Two acquaintances of mine, one from down south, one from Liverpool, both came to Sheffield to go to university a year apart. They never met each other during that time but met each once through me, years later. It turned out that during their second years they both lived in not only the same house but had the same bedroom. I didn't know either of them at the time so was as unaware of that as they were.

Also I have two friends (one from work, one from school) who look a bit like each other. I can tell the difference but other friends of mine have got them mixed up in the past. Anyway, I went out for a drink with the pair of them one night. And it turned out they were born on the same day.

Tales Of The Unexpected end credits.

Shit Good Nose

When me and Mrs Nose were in San Francisco for our honeymoon, in Chinatown we bumped into someone Mrs Nose knew from work, who lived just around the corner from us and was also on their honeymoon.  Neither party knew the other would be in SF (they only really knew each other to say hello to, and otherwise never had any other contact with each other). 

The chances of that happening have got to be pretty slim.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 05, 2019, 11:59:19 AM
When me and Mrs Nose were in San Francisco for our honeymoon, in Chinatown we bumped into someone Mrs Nose knew from work, who lived just around the corner from us and was also on their honeymoon.  Neither party knew the other would be in SF (they only really knew each other to say hello to, and otherwise never had any other contact with each other). 

The chances of that happening have got to be pretty slim.

Affair, mate.

Cuellar

Got to say I agree, sorry. All arranged between the two of them.

Captain Z

Halfway through eating my lunch, decide to check out David Squires' latest cartoon just as I open a bag of pickled onion Monster Munch. First panel: Sam Allardyce eating a bag of pickled onion Monster Munch.

Mister Six

Quote from: Captain Z on February 05, 2019, 01:31:44 PM
Halfway through eating my lunch, decide to check out David Squires' latest cartoon just as I open a bag of pickled onion Monster Munch. First panel: Sam Allardyce eating a bag of pickled onion Monster Munch.

Are you Sam Allardyce?

DrGreggles

I've broken my left leg twice in my life:
#1 Sunday, 20th May 1990
#2 Sunday, 20th May 2012

More quite unlikely than insanely unlikely, but definitely a coincidence.

SpiderChrist

I fell in love with a girl who had eyes. When I met her Dad, he also had eyes. Fucking blew my swede off mate I don't mind telling you.

buttgammon

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 03, 2019, 02:56:39 PM
I fell in love with a girl who had eyes. When I met her Dad, he also had eyes. Fucking blew my swede off mate I don't mind telling you.

And to top it off, THEY BOTH ATE THEIR VEG TOO! Remarkable!!!

Paul Calf

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 03, 2019, 02:56:39 PM

Dur. They were RELATED.

Famous Mortimer

I met my friend's boyfriend in the pub in Sheffield once. Nice chap, I thought. Then, years later, at a CaB meet in London...same chap! I won't mention their username in case it's an experience they'd choose to forget (meeting me twice, that is).

willpurry

I once walked up a steep 'ill only to find a church at the top.

I shagged your mum, which makes me your dad.

Funny we only met on here.

Pingers

Some time ago, 6 Music played the excellent Roscoe by Midlake. A woman contacted the show to say that she had recently been on a train crossing a large inland expanse of Australia, listening to the album it is from. She had travelled hundreds of miles and seen very, very few buildings, and at the same moment as Tim Smith sang the sole instance of 'Roscoe' in the song, her train passed an outback farm with the word ROSCOE painted on a barn roof. True or not, that's a good story.

Hank Venture

I think the opening coincidence with John Lennon and the Chapman allusion got unfairly slated. It's a great coincidence.

PJN

When I was 15 I loved an Alexander O'Neil song called Saturday Lover. It's a great song that's weirdly associated in the UK with the golden age of Hip Hop because I think Mike Allen used to end his Hip Hop show with it a lot and so disinfect the audience for the next DJ. About 16 I forgot about it and never knowingly heard it again or ever thought of it.

About two years ago I was bored on a Saturday so I thought I'd have a bath. My partner said "In the middle of the afternoon?" I said "I'm bored, it's Saturday and I can do what I want. I love Saturdays". As soon as I said "I love Saturdays" the song pinged into my head and I started humming it. In the bath i finally recalled it and began to joyfully belt it out. I sang both parts and did my almost perfect Alexander O'Neil impersonation. I was amazing and after 30 years or so could still remember every word. I had had enough bathing/singing so got out of the bath, turned the radio from 5 Live to Radio 6 to hear Giles Peterson say "...and Cherrelle" and the intro to Saturday Lover.

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 12, 2016, 12:04:50 AM
Sting from The Police Band has never been stung by a wasp. Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers have been stung by wasps and bees. Sting's real name is Gordon Bee.

I think you'll find the correct verb is "stanged" off of a wasp.

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 12, 2016, 12:04:50 AMSting's real name is Gordon Bee.
I still think that "Sting (real name Gordon Sting)" is the funniest thing I've read.
Yes, that is my contribution today.

Jockice

Me, my girlfriend and my sister all live at the same house number. But not together. Also me and the former had the same model car in the same colour when we met and lost the same tooth (top row, second from back) within weeks of each other.

momatt

Quote from: sick as a pike on September 04, 2019, 03:48:19 PM
I still think that "Sting (real name Gordon Sting)" is the funniest thing I've read.
Yes, that is my contribution today.

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 12, 2016, 12:04:50 AM
Sting from The Police Band has never been stung by a wasp. Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers have been stung by wasps and bees. Sting's real name is Gordon Bee.
I think the above (Gordon Bee) is incredibly funny and repeat it to my friends all the time.  Whether we're talking about The Police or not.
To mixed responses.  Still makes me piss myself every time.