Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:12:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Regional Newspapers

Started by daveytaylor, February 17, 2004, 06:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveytaylor

Can you help? Do you even want to?

I am doing a linguistics course and need a bit of help.

Here in the Black Country we have the Black Country Bugle. It is a very regional newspaper but what is interesting to me is the fact that it has articles written phonetically in Black Country Speak.

So that's the Black Country.

What I need are the names, websites and / or contact details of other similar publications around the country. It is important that they have examples of regional accents and dialects.

What I don't want are fake ones like The South Wales Pig Fucker or The Liverpool Thief but real ones so I can contact the paper and get copies for my course.

Over to you whores.

fanny splendid

In the stoke area, there is a local, possibly daily, paper with a cartoon in called 'Me Un Mar Lady' which is written in the North Staffordshire dialect.

Edit: done a search, it's called The Sentinel

here's a link to more info about the dialect, and the cartoon

Capuchin

I had no idea such a thing existed.
How novel.

smoker

http://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/

stamford mercury, britain's oldest weekly paper. my grandad used to edit it

Vermschneid Mehearties

You're so modest smoker. You didn't tell anyone you ran cross-country races to raise money for it.

EDIT:

And that has avatar written all over it.

smoker

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"

You're so modest smoker. You didn't tell anyone you ran cross-country races to raise money for it.

well, one doesn't like to brag, you know.

smoker

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"

And that has avatar written all over it.

the guy on the right is another ex-editor who used to drink, a lot, in my local. top bloke, and the rosy cheeks aren't painted on

Vermschneid Mehearties

*chuckle*

Excellent, and as I say...there's a sure-fire avatar there somewhere!

daveytaylor

Quote from: "fanny splendid"In the stoke area, there is a local, possibly daily, paper with a cartoon in called 'Me Un Mar Lady' which is written in the North Staffordshire dialect.

That was fucking spot on Fanny. Give yourself a pat on the back, a Blue Peter badge and award yourself with a wank.

Smoker, big thanks for the Stamford Today link, I have emailed the editorial staff for more help.

Thanks guys... anyone got any more.