Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monitor speaker cables

Started by momatt, December 16, 2016, 04:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Just bought myself some nice[nb]I hope[/nb] new[nb]refurbished[/nb] monitor speakers[nb]Akai RPM800[nb]They're red and look awesome[/nb][/nb].  I assume they wont come with audio cables.  They'll mostly be connected to my computer's Behringer audio output.

The monitors have XLR, balanced ¼-inch TRS and RCA inputs.  Do these input types make any (noticeable) difference?  Bearing in mind they'll be connected to the Behringer's RCA audio output.
Are there any cable brands of cable to avoid or aim for?

momatt

NoSleep

RCA output is unbalanced so the XLR/TRS options will make no difference, and possibly you would hear no difference even if you had a balanced output option on the Behringer (the options are hear or don't hear background noise/hum). The you can use the XLR/TRS input (if you have RCA to mono jack, RCA to XLR, etc), but a couple of RCA to RCA leads will be fine. I suppose TRS/XLR leads tend to be better shielded, therefore they might eliminate some background noise if there's equipment nearby emanating a lot of interference.

momatt

Great, cheers No Sleep.  That's sort of what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.

I hear balanced XLR is best but only really necessary if the cables are going long distance (mine aren't) and if you have a balanced output (I don't).