Author Topic: Monitor speaker cables  (Read 267 times)

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
Monitor speaker cables
« on: December 16, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
Just bought myself some nice[nb]I hope[/nb] new[nb]refurbished[/nb] monitor speakers[nb]Akai RPM800[nb]They're red and look awesome[/nb][/nb].  I assume they wont come with audio cables.  They'll mostly be connected to my computer's Behringer audio output.

The monitors have XLR, balanced ΒΌ-inch TRS and RCA inputs.  Do these input types make any (noticeable) difference?  Bearing in mind they'll be connected to the Behringer's RCA audio output.
Are there any cable brands of cable to avoid or aim for?

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
Re: Monitor speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
Thanks guys.

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »
RCA output is unbalanced so the XLR/TRS options will make no difference, and possibly you would hear no difference even if you had a balanced output option on the Behringer (the options are hear or don't hear background noise/hum). The you can use the XLR/TRS input (if you have RCA to mono jack, RCA to XLR, etc), but a couple of RCA to RCA leads will be fine. I suppose TRS/XLR leads tend to be better shielded, therefore they might eliminate some background noise if there's equipment nearby emanating a lot of interference.

momatt

• PAPERCLIPS!
    • instagram.com/m0matt
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
Great, cheers No Sleep.  That's sort of what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.

I hear balanced XLR is best but only really necessary if the cables are going long distance (mine aren't) and if you have a balanced output (I don't).