Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Guitars & Gear!

Started by Des Nilsen, February 17, 2004, 07:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

I probably like the sound of the second the best from what you've said. Have you got any idea what type Joe Strummer plays?  
That's it but I don't know a lot about em so I don't what type it is. I really like the sound he gets though which is one of the reasons I want a Telecaster.

Frinky

Strummer played a few Casters, most of them assembled from aftermarket parts. That one I linked you too can be had in black, and they both share pretty similar appointments. So, yeah, that's probably the one you'd wanna go for.

MarmiteCarpenter

I reached the point where I have everything I need, which isn't much. Crappy but working guitar *, 2 x turntables, mixer, fairly quick computer, Logic Audio and thats it. Feel a bit inadequate really :(

But I want to get a controller keyboard, because painting notes onto scores is a bad way to create tunes. I'm not sure which one to get though, and I haven't currently got the space for one anyway.

The other want is a BOSS RC-20 Loopstation, cos doing stuff like this is sooooooooo much fun.

And a G5.

*An ancient Westone Thunder I-A, are they any good?

no_offenc

Westone Thunders are ace.  The singer/guitarist from the band I'm in (The Immigrants) has a Thunder 1-A bass AND guitar, and they're both really nice (though the number of pedals he puts the guitar through kinda ruins the sound)....

I like em to look at as well as to listen to.

Frinky

Never heard of em, but it looks ace! And it's a through-neck, right? That can only ever be a good thing.

Frinky

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3729034179

SCOOOOOORE!

Over $100 less than the last 62 he sold went for.

£357?

Sodding bargain. I placed my bid with 49 secs to go (Bet I was bidding against TJ...) - worth staying up for. I'm grinning like a bastard.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "MarmiteCarpenter"But I want to get a controller keyboard, because painting notes onto scores is a bad way to create tunes. I'm not sure which one to get though

Turnkey are currently doung a Fatar SL-161 for about £120. I've had a few of them...They go bang after about a year, but they're good while they are working.

Sam

I have an Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci Model (cost £2300) and a Mesa Boogie Combo ((£1200).  Don't have any effects; I like to keep it simple.

MarmiteCarpenter

Quote from: "Frinky"Never heard of em, but it looks ace! And it's a through-neck, right? That can only ever be a good thing.

I dont know anything about guitars, why are through-necks good? That pic isnt mine, btw, though apart from different pickups and knobs its identical.

Frinky

Neck through = longer sustain and better resonance.

STOP ME BEFORE I KILL AGAIN

Got it on the way to the Bristol meet. Gibson Les Paul Special Doublecut. Two dirty, wrong P90s on a one piece mahogony body, absolutely killer tone, very very cool piece of kit. I really didn't plan on getting it, but it called me...

Goldentony

ive just decided, when i actually get some cash in my account, im gonna fork out for one of these

Marty McFly

can i put in my little contrib. to this.

designed by kurt cobain, yadayada.

loved the look of it as soon as i saw it. but, being 14 at the time, had no money to buy it.

then, it was discontinued. so, by the time i got a job and saved up a bit, i could have paid for it then, but couldn't get hold of the fucker.

but, now, it's been relaunched, for 350 quid. am tempted to get it on one of those 'buy now, pay in a year' things.

JJJJH

Haha, talk to Frinky first.

Spaced Cadet

I've recently bought a body just like this.

In fact this one is made by the same bloke, it's a one piece ash body, I ve also got a Squire neck that I'm putting on it and some Kent Armstong pick-ups, basically the guy sold me virtually everything I needed to make my own custom Telecaster. I've just finished the sanding and staining/varnishing stage at the moment.

Any tips for wiring pick-ups, ie. mistakes that you've made that might save me a headache! I bought a book from amazon "Guitar Electonics for Musicians" and although it's supposed to be a really easy to understand guide, I mihgt a well be reading Japanese. I thought the Telecaster set up would be pretty basic!

I'll post some pictures of the finished guitar soon.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Wow, good luck with making that. A friend of mine started making a guitar a while back. He cut his own body by himself and everything rather than buying one. It's far from completed now though and from when I last spoke to him I don't think he can be bothered finishing it. The wood for it cost quite a lot I remember though so if he never does finish it will be a bit of a waste.

Neil

Don't buy a jag-stang, they get slagged to fuck in all the mags I've read.  I'm sure Frinky or someone can go into more depth.  I wanted that one or the candy-apple red one when I was a teenager, but I went for the Pacifica instead, and I'm glad I did.  350 quid?  Weren't they around 150-200 when they were launched?

Marty McFly

nah, they were in the 400-500 mark i think.

Frinky

Quote from: "Neil"Don't buy a jag-stang, they get slagged to fuck in all the mags I've read.

Love the emboldening there, Neil pretty much said it... I've never played a good one. I think the assumption on Fenders part there was that people who owned one would do the Nirvana thing and play with loads of distortion, which thus hide all the guitars pooer points. And, to be fair, if thats what you wanna do, then fine... But if you want a decent Fender, for that money, you may as well get a Jap Tele, Strat or Jag from that site I linked to.

Marty McFly

yeah, i do like the look of the jaguar, too, but it's about £100 more than the jag-stang, isn't it?

what about the jazzmaster? is that much different to the jaguar?

JJJJH

Getting my hands on a lovely 180W Ashdown bass amp from the Electric Blue series. Hoping to hook it up to my old bass combo too for a groovy sound.

+ =

Gazeuse

Lads, remember I bought a Santa Ana acoustic (With built in electrics) a couple of months ago for £179???

Well, I've had some time to play about with it and I've spotted a few problems...

1) The battery runs down in a few hours if it's left in (Even with no lead inserted). I rmember when I tried out a couple of the same model in the store, both had flat batteries.

2) The built in preamp distorts when the output is set to higher levels and the guitar is played moderately heavily.

3) A few finish problems which I mentioned before (Slightly crinkled neck etc...)

So, what I've decided to do is take it back and upgrade it to a Yamaha or something.

For the price, I still think it's a bargain (ie. It's intonation and general sound is very good etc...) but I've been using acoustic a fair bit recently and could do with something a bit less fiddly to use.

Just thought I'd mention this since I bug upped it in the first place!!!

Frinky

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33040&item=3730722904&rd=1

GAGH!

I said it'd go cheap in the chatroom last night, I had no idea it'd be THAT cheap.

Fuck, I should have gone for that.

A Passing Turk Slipper

So how much do you reckon that'll cost in 20 years time?

Frinky

Not a great deal, actually, that particular model was a total disaster sales-wise, but it's a cool bit of kit. When Les Paul dies, it might raise a bit in worth, but I doubt it... I'll get it one day...

Edit; in answer to ye question... I can't see it being worth more than, say, £1500,  ever.

Frinky

Oh man... the new Gibson Japan Neil Young Signature Les Paul!

http://www.gibson.jp/gallery/detail.php?id=gcs00368

Now I'm not huge on NY, but I love his taste in Les Pauls. P90 neck, mini-hum bridge, *and* a Bigbsy! When I have money, my number 2 guitar would be a Les Paul just like that in rainforest green. It won't be released in the US, which is a pity, but that is so damn cool! The mini hum has a coil split (or tap, I forget), too. How much does it rule?

It's not totally accurate - some of the hardware colours and fittings are a little off, but meh - it's about the sound, right?

Here's the original for reference. A very, very, cool Paul. :)

Ambient Sheep

Read this and weep, Frinky...you probably already know about this, actually, but there was a massive guitar auction in the States yesterday.

Clappo finally auctioned Blackie, getting £527,000 for it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1247829,00.html

Rather belatedly can I second the good call on the Thunder 1A bass?  Schoolfriend of mine had one in 1982 or so and they're excellent.

Frinky

Heh, you can keep the Strats, horrible little things. However, his ES, now that's something....

QuoteBlackie's closest rival was Clapton's 1964 cherry-red Gibson ES-335, the second electric guitar he bought. He used the instrument from his time with the Yardbirds until recently, and after a bidding war it sold for $847,500 to the Guitar Centre.

Wouldn't turn my nose up at one of those :)

Spaced Cadet

What about this custom beauty

some sites to drool over ......

Nathan Sheppard Guitars

Exotic Guitars

Gazeuse

My mate has alerted me to the Line 6 Variaxe Accoustic 700 which has tickled my fancy.

It's a modelling guitar which can sound like various types of steel acoustics as well as a nylon and a few exotic sounds (Koto and sitar).

For less than the price of a nylon and steel together, I think I may just go for that.

It has the ability to adopt other tunings at the flick of a switch as well as having a virtual capo which can move down as well as up the guitar. Just the sort of gadget I love.

I may well pop into town to play one this week!!!

Frinky

Quote from: "Gazeuse"My mate has alerted me to the Line 6 Variaxe Accoustic 700 which has tickled my fancy.

I played the Variax Electric... £600 of electronics stuffed into about £50's worth of guitar, a horrid, foul, nasty piece of pap. The sitar/baritone effects were cool, but the attempts to sound like a Strat, or Tele, or 335... or, heaven forbid, an LP, just left me meh.

I dunno how the accoustic will measure up, but I hated the leccy one.