Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Muso] Guitars & Gear!

Started by Des Nilsen, February 17, 2004, 07:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small_world

Quote from: Spiteface on January 09, 2014, 08:44:19 PM
How does that work? I know with 7-string guitars, usually the extra string is a low B, but is it yet another lower string on one of those monsters? I'd imagine you'd essentially be playing in the bass range at that point.
Yeah, the lowest string is (often) tuned to an F#
Giving F#BEADGBE A lot of players tune the lowest string to E, giving easier access to 5ths and octaves.
E would then be the same as found on a standard tuned bass.

I'm really just getting used to it, but I'm findingit fairly easy to play it tuned to an F#, my mind seems to be able to work out the scale runs easier. But I do see the long-term appeal in tuning the F# to an E, so I'm going to try to get my head around that.

My rhythm playing has always been a bit messy, so I'm going to spend some time tightening up my chord/string-group accuracy. Hopefully, it'll translate back to 6 string easy enough.

Anyone got any 8-string tips?

Quote from: Spiteface on January 09, 2014, 08:44:19 PM
As it happens, I got my Edwards LP copy back from the shop today. I took it in to have new pickups installed. A set of Iron Gear Tesla Sharks. Essentially they're clones of Seymour Duncan's Alnico II Pro Slash signature set. They do more that Guns & Roses sounds though. Just a nice set of humbuckers. Dirt cheap too at £70 a set.

Love this guitar.
I was trying a build/recondition of a shitty old Les PAul style guitar I had, and was looking to make it look something like that. The wood was shot, so the paint job would have showed all its flaws. Also, the price I'd be spending on parts would have ruled it out.
Having a fiancée who works in a guitar shop helps.

On that note, I'll have to get a picture of my collection. 

Tiny Poster

Quote from: kngen on January 10, 2014, 10:39:59 AM
posting pics of our guitars then is it? oh, go on then ...

Ooh, what model Electromatic is that?

kngen

Quote from: Tiny Poster on January 10, 2014, 11:21:00 AM

Ooh, what model Electromatic is that?

One of the new centre-block ones. It's just about the nicest thing I've ever owned.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: kngen on January 10, 2014, 12:43:43 PM
One of the new centre-block ones. It's just about the nicest thing I've ever owned.

Cor! I'll have to make do with my G5422TDC, which is also perhaps the nicest thing I've ever owned. I am sore tempted to get one of those Bass VIs now copyingdogs has alerted me to them, but I need to get a mic and an iRig Keys first I think.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on May 13, 2013, 11:41:59 AM
They're pretty much a classic Green Russian with an extra boosty thing and mids knob, aren't they? I've heard a few demos and such on youtube and they do sound really good.

I've also recently discovered this website:

http://north-effects.co.uk/

Basically they do hand-made effects but keep the costs down by not having any artwork/graphics on the enclosures. Which means a Ram's Head Big muff clone for £65.  As a Dinosaur Jr fan that appeals to me.  They also do the "Violet Ram's Head" variation along with "Triangle" and "Green Russian" flavours.  The only one I can see that's lacking there, is they don't have an IC Muff yet, as they've been gaining popularity in recent years.

I ended up ordering a Green Russian Muff from that website. It arrived today. Sounds fantastic, like a good muff should. To be honest, I would recommend one of these or the Ram's Head over any of EHX's current Muffs (unless you like the extra options on the Tone Wicker). I don't even mind the lack of graphics.

HappyTree

Replica of Brian May's guitar by Andrew Guyton. I've been waiting 3 years for this, since I ordered it. And 25 years before that! Neck is very big and hefty, but so comfortable. String spacing is wider than any other electric I've played. It basically feels like an acoustic with bendier strings. 24" scale, it's a wee cutie. Feels and looks noticeably smaller than a Strat. Awe-sum.

These used to be my babies

Gretsch Silver Falcon

Vox 1965 AC 50

Gretsch 6120 JR

Still have this: 1977 Stratocaster

Matamp GT80

easytarget

bump
Jazzmaster. Maple fingerboard.
Long sought after.
Yeah. You look impressed.

thraxx

Nice. A jazzmaster is one of the few guitar types i've never owned and was looking at them recently. How many sheets did that cost you?

Spiteface

Nice. American Pro? Thought the red ones came with rosewood boards...

easytarget

Fender Mod Shop. https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/
Costs a lot less than a straight up Custom Shop job, but a little bit more than one you can buy off the rack.

Yeah, it's actually a walnut finish, but really lacquered and shiny.

It plays really nice.

easytarget

Bump.
Managed to track down a Flathead Telecaster. I'm very happy with this ridiculous thing.