Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Prevenge' - New Movie By Alice Lowe, February 2017

Started by Serge, December 19, 2016, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Well, something to look forward to in 2017 already. The amazing Alice Lowe has written, directed and starred in her first solo project, 'Prevenge'. Trailer here (on the Guardian website for some reason.) Given that 'Sightseers' was one of the greatest films of this century, I have high hopes for this (though it also reminds me that I still haven't got around to watching 'Aaaaaaaah!', despite buying it on DVD months ago.)

Small Man Big Horse

I loved Sightseers too so have high hopes. Haven't seen Aaaaaah! either, but even the mixed reviews for it haven't put me off this.

BlodwynPig

Glebe

Looks both horrifying and funny. Bit of Morris tone to, actually, in a way.

SteveDave

Saw this last night. Really funny and horrifying[nb]I didn't mean to quote Glebe here[/nb] at the same time in certain bits. 

It was made in 11 days so the camera work takes some getting used to but there are amazing performances from Tom Davis and Jo Hartley and especially Alice Lowe who, as well as directing, actually had a bun up her stick when it was made.

I saw it with my 9 months pregnant wife so it was like watching Star Wars sat next to a Jedi.

I advise everyone goes to see it this weekend.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SteveDave on February 10, 2017, 09:21:16 AM
Saw this last night. Really funny and horrifying[nb]I didn't mean to quote Glebe here[/nb] at the same time in certain bits. 

It was made in 11 days so the camera work takes some getting used to but there are amazing performances from Tom Davis and Jo Hartley and especially Alice Lowe who, as well as directing, actually had a bun up her stick when it was made.

I saw it with my 9 months pregnant wife so it was like watching Star Wars sat next to a Jedi.

I advise everyone goes to see it this weekend.

I thought for a moment, Jockice has got married and his wife is preganant?!

For god sakes, will you two decide who's going to have that Limmy avatar and have done with it.

As you were.

Looking forward to this. Mark me up as another Sightseers fan.

Mini

Quote from: SteveDave on February 10, 2017, 09:21:16 AM
Alice Lowe who, as well as directing, actually had a bun up her stick when it was made.

She said in an interview that it was, as far as she was aware, the first instance of a director being pregnant for the duration of a shoot.

Quote'Sightseers' was one of the greatest films of this century.

Yes! And one of the best comedy films ever.

Bad Ambassador

I saw this on Monday, followed by a Lowe Q&A, and it was excellent.

KennyMonster

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this for a while, but it's hardly fucking on anywhere?!?

any ideas if this could get a wider release in a few weeks?

Serge

I'm in the same boat - it's nowhere to be seen in Derby, and not even on the horizon, not even at the QUAD. Fucking Derby, it really is like going back in time living here again.

Bad Ambassador

It might be heading for a DVD or VoD release very soon, so the cinema release is only a token one.

EDIT: According to Amazon, the DVD/BD is out in June.

Custard

June?! Ah, balls

Nutty prices, too. Twenty for the blu, fifteen for the DVD

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 10, 2017, 02:36:52 PM
June?! Ah, balls

Nutty prices, too. Twenty for the blu, fifteen for the DVD

That's fairly standard pricing for release, particularly for a reasonably niche film - the price will drop pretty quickly on release.

Also, Amazon's pre-order price often is all over the place prior to release. That's said, Amazon isn't always that competitive on price I find, particularly with niche movies.

Bad Ambassador

You could request your local library stocks it. Mine charges £2.50 for a week's DVD rental.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: KennyMonster on February 10, 2017, 01:04:34 PM...any ideas if this could get a wider release in a few weeks?

I think there's a chance – albeit, only slightly, rather than massively wider distribution. It's the type of film, which I think could do well if there's good word of mouth (which I would say it's been getting already) and some cinemas are quite receptive to that these days.

Looking at the listings on the website, I've saw that at least two venues are showing in next month, rather than February. If it does decent business, no reason to suppose that they couldn't extend the amount of venues next month.

GeeWhiz

I saw it in an otherwise empty screening at a ginormous Vue. Quite an odd experience, but it meant I didn't feel quite so ashamed to laugh at some of the things I did. I thought it was actually rather lovely and swoony in places. Had a very dreamy sense of pacing, supported by all those lovely washes of synth.

Serge

Have just found out that this has been added at the last minute to the bill at the QUAD in Derby from the 24th, so will get a chance to see it after all. Hurrah!

colacentral

Alice Lowe was at a cinema in Lancaster for a live Q&A in January, literally ten minutes from my house, but I had to work. Really regretting not fucking work off now.

KennyMonster

I made an attempt to root it out and see it last weekend despite having a cold.

Totally worth doing, it made a refreshing change to all the  po-faced Oscar fodder around at the moment for sure.

SteveDave

Quote from: KennyMonster on February 17, 2017, 09:10:06 AM
I made an attempt to root it out and see it last weekend despite having a cold.

Totally worth doing, it made a refreshing change to all the  po-faced Oscar fodder around at the moment for sure.

And it had a satisfying ending which is something lots of modern films don't have. I suppose it's because they all want to become franchises with eyes on sequels.

Serge

Finally managed to see it today! Absolutely outstanding. Properly hilarious (the whole DJ Dan sequence in particular), dark as hell, and satisfying on every level. I've always loved Alice Lowe, and really, this is going to be hard to beat as film of the year for me.

Spoiler alert
"I think nature's a bit of a cunt, though, don't you?"
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I've been wanting to see this for ages.

olliebean

Quote from: chocky909 on March 27, 2017, 11:29:11 PM
'Available'.

Only in a crappy low-res xvid version, but still...

In the US you can watch it legally on Shudder. In the UK, you can pay about a pound more per month for fewer than half as many films on Shudder, not including Prevenge. It's almost like they're encouraging you to acquire it by other means.

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed this a lot, it's bleakly funny stuff and the majority of the cast were superb, in fact only Dan Skinner felt a bit forced. If I've a minor problem it's with the ending, I was expecting
Spoiler alert
a bit more from it (though I'm not exactly sure what), but then that final image is a beautifully disturbing one.
[close]

Edit: One other tiny thing - the police are obviously rubbish in this reality, I mean surely there'd have been cctv footage in the lawyer's office, and at the bar where DJ Dan works. Some times such a thing would bother me but given how great the rest of the film was I was able to let it slide.

Small Man Big Horse

This is a tragic story, about how one of the Antiques Roadshow experts suffered from pyschosis after having given birth, and died a month later: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39575354

But this part of the article made me think of the film:

QuoteDr Miriam Barrett, consultant psychiatrist, said Mrs Gibson-Watt appeared rational when she was assessed, but she was suffering "delusions" and believed she could communicate telepathically with her baby.

:( etc.

Moribunderast

Just watched this. Absolutely tremendous. I adored Sightseers so have been anticipating this film for a long while and it didn't disappoint. Thrilling performance by Alice Howe and a great screenplay, full of genuine dark comedy that never felt as if it were trying too hard. The sequence with the make-up and entering the party felt instantly iconic to me as it unfolded - I actually got Taxi Driver vibes from it as you could sense (and hear) baby's pure disgust at all surrounding humanity. Definitely gonna feature in my year-end Top 10 list and the upcoming horror films (Raw and Get Out) that I'm seeing at the cinema soon have their work cut out to try and upend this as horror film of the year.

DrunkCountry