Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Covenant.

Started by Glebe, December 25, 2016, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip Bittman

"I decided to get back onto the merry-go-round because sci-fi enables you to dream a little more because it's fundamentally fiction," he says. "Sometimes it's nearly a fantasy. It really depends on the script but it enables you to stretch the envelope."

Wow. Deep stuff there.

Replies From View

Sometimes I like fantasy action adventure films because as well as being fiction they are fantasies, plus they take you on an adventure with some action in it.

Shaky

Quote from: Skip Bittman on March 08, 2017, 06:18:06 PM
"I decided to get back onto the merry-go-round because sci-fi enables you to dream a little more because it's fundamentally fiction," he says. "Sometimes it's nearly a fantasy. It really depends on the script but it enables you to stretch the envelope."

Wow. Deep stuff there.

A large script would indeed stretch the envelope you're putting it in. He's quite correct. Nearly 80 years of wisdom distilled, there.

Glebe

Following on from the viral marketing of Prometheus (and probably more interesting than the film it's promoting):

Meet Walter.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Glebe on March 13, 2017, 01:35:30 PM
Following on from the viral marketing of Prometheus (and probably more interesting than the film it's promoting):

Meet Walter.

kidsick5000

Just wondering...

In the Alien universe, are humans generally aware of alien life?
There's no suggestion that there is an intelligent alien race that is being communicated with.
This is aside from finding the engineers, which I guess they did not get to relay back to Earth.
So has everything so far discovered between films essentially been alien animals?

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 18, 2017, 01:00:24 AM
Just wondering...

I wish you hadn't brought this up.

Because people have been arguing for decades about the line "Is this gonna be another stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?"

Truth is, they should have cut that line from the film. It just creates confusion.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 18, 2017, 01:00:24 AM
Just wondering...

There's no suggestion that there is an intelligent alien race that is being communicated with.
This is aside from finding the engineers, which I guess they did not get to relay back to Earth.
So has everything so far discovered between films essentially been alien animals?

Didn't the marines in Aliens mention something about 'another bug hunt?' - I always wondered what they meant by that.

kidsick5000

I always put bug hunt down to being a wild goose chase.

My question came about from the fact that nobody seems too fazed when the encounter signs of aliens. Even the original space jockey (the proper sized one) get's an "ooh" rather than a WHATTHEHELLLISTHAT!?!?

Kelvin

I presume bugs are just like ordinary - albeit alien - wild animals. Dangerous, but basically very simple creatures, that lack the cunning or single minded aggression of a xenomorph, and are easily outmatched by a human soldier. The space Jockey and the alien would still appear remarkable, and very frightening, to humans who has only seen very simple life forms up until then.   

Replies From View

I reckon that "bugs" are things like ants, wasps, houseflies etc.  Spray a bit of Raid in their eyes and they're sorted.

Melody Lee

There's also the mention of 'Arcturians' in Aliens. Always wondered about that almost throwaway jokey reference:

"Hey, I sure wouldn't mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang, remember that time?"
"Yeah, Frost, but the one that you had was male."
"It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby."

Perhaps they're sentient aliens, or human colonists who've adapted over a lengthy period and have certain unique qualities, or non-sentient animal life that the marines (and others) use for occasional fun and frolics?

The AvP wiki says that Arcturians are an alien race.

But that's all comic-book bullshit canon, and probably not what was intended in the film. If we're going with film-canon, I think Arcturus is a human colony and probably the future equivalent of Thailand.

mothman

There are all sorts of cultural societal or even moral reasons that the human inhabitants of Arcturus could be noteworthy to boorish sex-crazed soldiers.

Zetetic

The word is actually "Arthurian", and references time-travel in the Alien cinematic universe and the notoriously lax sexual mores of 5th century Britain.

mobias

The official movie poster has been released today. It looks good but don't let that fool you; you'll be playing straight into Ridley Scott's hands. Just remember that above all else this film is going to be shit.

momatt

Fucking hell lads.

Use this code to make your images not fucking massive, yeah[nb]but with square brackets[/nb]?
(img width=300)(/img)

momatt

mobias

Quote from: momatt on March 24, 2017, 11:25:06 AM

Use this code to make your images not fucking massive, yeah[nb]but with square brackets[/nb]?
(img width=300)(/img)

Just out of interest where does that bit of resizing code go within the image link?

Asking for a friend.

momatt

The image link address goes in between the two bracketed sections.

So it'd be a bit like this: (img width=300) www.ilovecock.com/jizz.jpg (/img)

But with square brackets and whatever number you want.  You could use 'length' instead of 'width' too.

mothman

But - and I can't emphasise this enough - not 'girth.'

greenman

Quote from: Kelvin on March 18, 2017, 11:32:33 AM
I presume bugs are just like ordinary - albeit alien - wild animals. Dangerous, but basically very simple creatures, that lack the cunning or single minded aggression of a xenomorph, and are easily outmatched by a human soldier. The space Jockey and the alien would still appear remarkable, and very frightening, to humans who has only seen very simple life forms up until then.

The "whoopy fucking doo" reaction by Hudson to Ripley "seeing an alien once" definitely suggests that non earth life has been discovered by the time of Aliens. In the original film 57 years before it doesn't seem certain whether any non earth life has been discovered yet, quarantine rules exist but that could just be a precaution or perhaps suggesting that its only stuff on the single cell level that's known about/acknowledged?

Quote from: mobias on March 25, 2017, 07:21:33 PM
Just out of interest where does that bit of resizing code go within the image link?

Asking for a friend.

I learned the codes by quoting other people's posts.

For example, quote this post.

Quote from: greenman on March 26, 2017, 12:12:26 AM
The "whoopy fucking doo" reaction by Hudson to Ripley "seeing an alien once" definitely suggests that non earth life has been discovered by the time of Aliens.

I'm not so sure that it does. It could just mean a general lack of interest/curiosity on the part of the marines.

I mean, they seem to take pride in being ignorant. They couldn't care less about Ripley's story, because they're too cool for school. Gorman tells them they can get the details from Ripley's report but they all make it pretty clear that they're not going to read it, because reading reports is the sort of thing a bespectacled nerd would do.

greenman

Quote from: Default to the negative on March 26, 2017, 02:03:18 AM
I'm not so sure that it does. It could just mean a general lack of interest/curiosity on the part of the marines.

I mean, they seem to take pride in being ignorant. They couldn't care less about Ripley's story, because they're too cool for school. Gorman tells them they can get the details from Ripley's report but they all make it pretty clear that they're not going to read it, because reading reports is the sort of thing a bespectacled nerd would do.

Although is any kind of alien life were unknown you would think there reaction would be rather different, Hudson making jokes about flying saucers or something like that.

Then you have Burke and Gorman claiming that the Marines are "trained for this kind of thing" as well as the "Bug hunt" comments.

As Klevin says I imagine some kind of relatively primitive unintelligent animal being what they've experienced before and blasted easily. You could argue that there weapons are soemwhat geared to that as well going for stopping power over rapid fire.

mobias

Quote from: momatt on March 25, 2017, 10:19:32 PM
The image link address goes in between the two bracketed sections.

So it'd be a bit like this: (img width=300) www.ilovecock.com/jizz.jpg (/img)

But with square brackets and whatever number you want.  You could use 'length' instead of 'width' too.

Great thanks for the info.

Quote from: Default to the negative on March 26, 2017, 12:47:50 AM

For example, quote this post.

Ah yes good idea. Think I've got it it now.