Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Covenant.

Started by Glebe, December 25, 2016, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

The one thing that really bugged me about Prometheus was that the proto alien we saw at the end looked utterly ridiculous. Infact all the creatures in the film looked like generic nonsense when it all really should have been a total biomechanoid HR Giger fest in that department.  If Ridley Scott's thinking is capable of letting all that pass then there is really no hope that Alien Covenant will be of interest whatsoever.

Thomas

So, now I've watched the first three Alien films, I'm beginning to understand what the extended franchise is trying to explore.

These prequels explicitly depict the origins of the brilliantly mysterious xenomorphs,[nb]The origins will be inevitably mundane, because nothing that can be shown will live up to the bizarre, disquieting, mythological-techno-sexual nightmare of the original creature(s). The unanswered ambiguity as to what the fuck they were was perfect. Aliens began to ruin them by shedding more light on their life cycle and nesting behaviour - turns out they're just normal animals, except they're quite fast and live in space.[/nb] and they're doing it in a way that apparently disappoints almost all fans.

Just write a new story. Space is massive. Write about some different aliens and planets. Stop flogging a dead horse. A demystified alien might come out of it.

mobias

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2016, 04:20:59 PM

Just write a new story. Space is massive. Write about some different aliens and planets. Stop flogging a dead horse. A demystified alien might come out of it.

I think Prometheus was an attempt at writing a sort of prequel that had the ability to go off totally in its own direction and create a whole new franchise, set in the same universe but doing its own thing. However they didn't take into consideration Damon Lindelof's total inability to write a decent script nor Ridley Scott's total inability to direct a decent movie. Therefore they're trying all over again with Alien Covenant looking like its more of a direct prequel to Alien and 'giving the audience what they want to see' in an alien movie. I'm not sure there are many movie franchises out there that show such utter contempt for their audience than the Alien one.

Thomas

Quote from: mobias on December 29, 2016, 04:33:36 PM
I'm not sure there are many movie franchises out there that show such utter contempt for their audience than the Alien one.

We'll have to check the Jurassic World one in twenty years.

mobias

Quote from: Thomas on December 29, 2016, 04:36:17 PM
We'll have to check the Jurassic World one in twenty years.

The difference with something like the Jurassic Park franchise is that it doesn't have a huge cross generational fanbase who take it all really seriously. Plus its only made up of one good movie. The Alien franchise since Aliens has promised everything yet delivered turd upon turd on its highly devoted and beloved audience.

mothman

Quote from: mobias on December 29, 2016, 04:33:36 PM
I'm not sure there are many movie franchises out there that show such utter contempt for their audience than the Alien one.

I'd steer clear of the Terminator franchise then.

mobias

Quote from: mothman on December 29, 2016, 07:13:30 PM
I'd steer clear of the Terminator franchise then.

Yeah it follows a similar trajectory. I'm not sure Terminator has quite the hardcore following that the Alien franchise does, its probably quite close behind though.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: mobias on December 29, 2016, 08:12:58 PM
Yeah it follows a similar trajectory.

Very. First film: tight but fairly trad hunter/prey horror movie with a sci-fi twist.  Second film: James Cameron has an idea where to take and develop the main characters, and twists the essential nature of the monster to do something different.  Third film: James Cameron's fucked off and there's no new core ideas so it just regresses to a repeat.  Fourth onwards: none of this makes sense any more, the character's are all over the place, it's just a load of old bollocks.

Glebe

Replies From View

"Cinema mainly is pretty bad, mainly."

(Not his Alien film, fuckitandpost.)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

She should try firing the gun, I don't think just pulling a face will do anything. I mean, maybe.

Replies From View

Daniels moves a fridge in new Alien: Covenant movie still!

mobias

No one seems to be listening to me. This film is going to be SHIT!

Don't disappoint yourselves by paying the slightest bit of attention to any of the pre-release hype and promotion. Its what they want. They're playing you like fools.

Close the thread.

Quote from: mobias on January 10, 2017, 10:18:02 PM
No one seems to be listening to me. This film is going to be SHIT!

Don't disappoint yourselves by paying the slightest bit of attention to any of the pre-release hype and promotion. Its what they want. They're playing you like fools.

Close the thread.

Quite, first rule of hype avoidance is 'never ever watch the trailer/teaser'.

I don't know why anyone watches trailers, they are deceptive by design.

Replies From View

Quote from: captaincockring on January 11, 2017, 09:46:29 PM
Quite, first rule of hype avoidance is 'never ever

All Saints, there.

I like that song...very nice lady singing.

Replies From View

Quote from: captaincockring on January 11, 2017, 10:08:28 PM
I like that song...very nice lady singing.

And it's not off-topic because they are actually called 'Alien Saints'.

Glebe

Glebe

Neill Blomkamp on Twitter.

Of course it was initially suggested that his movie was being put on the back burner because of Alien: Covenant, this pretty much confirms that Ridley Scott's interest in continuing the series has put the kibosh on Blomkamp's vision altogether.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on January 24, 2017, 05:45:11 AM

Of course it was initially suggested that his movie was being put on the back burner because of Alien: Covenant, this pretty much confirms that Ridley Scott's interest in continuing the series has put the kibosh on Blomkamp's vision altogether.

Surely he can just do a film starring Sigourney Weaver and Kyle Reese-bloke, change the names and alien design, and pursue that vision with no harm done.  Call it "Another Bug Hunt" since that's what it would be.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on January 24, 2017, 05:45:11 AM

Yay!  Good riddance to that particular piece of fan wankery.  Besides, I would never stand for a retcon of the criminally underrated Alien CubedAlien: Erection on the other hand...

Glebe

James Cameron Is Worried About Atlantis, America, and Alien: Covenant.

QuoteOn a completely different topic: How do you feel about the upcoming Alien sequel, Alien: Covenant?

The franchise has kind of wandered all over the map. Ridley [Scott] did the first film, and he inspired an entire generation of filmmakers and science-fiction fans with that one movie and there have been so many films that stylistically have derived from it, including my own Aliens, which was the legitimate sequel and, I think, the proper heir to his film. I sort of did it as a fanboy. I wanted to honor his film, but also say what I needed to say. After that, I don't take any responsibility.

I don't think it's worked out terribly well. I think we've moved on beyond it. It's like, okay, we've got it, we've got the whole Freudian biomechanoid meme. I've seen it in 100 horror films since. I think both of those films stand at a certain point in time, as a reference point. But is there any validity to doing another one now? I don't know. Maybe. Let's see, jury's out. Let's see what Ridley comes up with. Let me just add to that — and don't cut this part off, please — I will stand in line for any Ridley Scott movie, even a not-so-great one, because he is such an artist, he's such a filmmaker. I always learn from him. And what he does with going back to his own franchise would be fascinating.

It seems like Scott went back to the franchise to put it back on track, but let's face it, Prometheus was pretty underwhelming, overall. I'm just hoping (against hope?) that this isn't equally disappointing.

Replies From View

QuoteI don't think it's worked out terribly well. I think we've moved on beyond it. It's like, okay, we've got it, we've got the whole Freudian biomechanoid meme. I've seen it in 100 horror films since. I think both of those films stand at a certain point in time, as a reference point. But is there any validity to doing another one now? I don't know. Maybe. Let's see, jury's out. Let's see what Ridley comes up with. Let me just add to that — and don't cut this part off, please — I will stand in line for any Ridley Scott movie, even a not-so-great one, because he is such an artist, he's such a filmmaker. I always learn from him. And what he does with going back to his own franchise would be fascinating.

Right now he's learning how to return to the Terminator franchise in tribute to Scott's return to Alien.

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on January 31, 2017, 10:49:08 PM
Right now he's learning how to return to the Terminator franchise in tribute to Scott's return to Alien.

Oh yeah, forgot about that... still haven't seen Genisys, but by all accounts it was the franchise hitting rock bottom. Can't see Cameron doing any harm by returning to his baby.

glitch

Quote from: Glebe on February 01, 2017, 10:08:17 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that... still haven't seen Genisys, but by all accounts it was the franchise hitting rock bottom. Can't see Cameron doing any harm by returning to his baby.

Genisys was a dumb movie but a lot of fun. If you think that's rock bottom, you should watch T3 or Salvation.

Ideally, they really ought to have just continued the Sarah Connor Chronicles, as that had a story that was actually interesting, with some good character development.

Glebe

Quote from: glitch on February 01, 2017, 11:52:25 AMGenisys was a dumb movie but a lot of fun. If you think that's rock bottom, you should watch T3 or Salvation.

I'm just going by everything I've heard about it. Granted, T3 was not good, and Salvation is one of the worst films I've ever watched.

Replies From View

T3 wants to be a comedy really badly, but doesn't quite have the balls to go the entire way.

Blumf

T3 is worse than Salvation. Replies got it's number.

Salvation is just a dour snoozefest and a waste of an opportunity.

Glebe

Quote from: Blumf on February 01, 2017, 02:15:03 PMT3 is worse than Salvation. Replies got it's number.

Nothing is worse than Salvation... no-thing!