Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Covenant.

Started by Glebe, December 25, 2016, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: mobias on August 15, 2017, 08:53:44 AM
Wait a minute, doesn't pretty much every James Cameron movie have a character you're 'invested in' getting 'destroyed at the end'?

No no, he very carefully ensures you never give a shit about any of them.

Glebe

Ridley Scott Teases Alien: Covenant Sequel Storyline.

Quote"I think the evolution of the Alien himself is nearly over, but what I was trying to do was transcend and move to another story, which would be taken over by A.I.'s. The world that the AI might create as a leader if he finds himself on a new planet. We have actually quite a big layout for the next one."

Started out exploring the Space Jockey, now the robots have taken over.

Replies From View

I actually enjoyed Alien Covenant.  Retrospectively made Prometheus better, although it can be enjoyed without watching Prometheus as well, I suspect.  Looking forward to a sequel.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Glebe on October 07, 2017, 07:39:43 AM

It seems like he got a bit torn between which property he wanted to revisit out of Alien and Bladerunner.

Custard

Glad you're in Team Covenant, Replies. We're deffo the coolest kids in this thread

mothman

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on October 07, 2017, 07:39:43 AM

That link keeps forcing open the App Store on my phone.  No idea what it's wanting to download but it can get thoroughly to fuck.  Anyone got a fixed version of that link?

Mister Six

Here's the article:

QuoteRidley Scott has a clear idea where the sequel to Alien: Covenant will go; and it sounds like Michael Fassbender's villainous A.I. David will play a large role. Fans of the Alien series rejoiced when it was first announced Scott was returning to helm Prometheus, which was originally pitched as a direct prequel to his 1979 film. The resulting story was more of a spinoff with some ties to the original films, but the Xenomorph himself was absent.

Alien: Covenant aimed to please those who enjoyed both Alien and Prometheus, picking up from the cliffhanger of the latter while bringing the title beast back again. Critical and fan opinion on the film was mixed overall, and Covenant's box office tally disappointed the studio. The film also ended on an almighty cliffhanger, where Fassbender's David is in control of colony ship The Covenant – and the 2,000 colonists frozen onboard.

During an interview with the Empire podcast to promote Blade Runner 2049, Scott briefly laid out where he sees the next movie going. Covenant implied David is actually the one responsible for creating the Alien in the first place, so the next story would explore what a world designed by a crazed A.I. will look like.

"I think the evolution of the Alien himself is nearly over, but what I was trying to do was transcend and move to another story, which would be taken over by A.I.'s. The world that the AI might create as a leader if he finds himself on a new planet. We have actually quite a big layout for the next one."

It becomes clear watching both Prometheus and Covenant that David is the character Scott really cares about, to the point he's become the new villain of the series. In the last movie, he spent years trapped on an Engineer planet performing experiments and designing his "perfect" creature with the Xenomorph, so it would be intriguing (and downright terrifying) to see what kind of world David would create without mankind's interference.

While this storyline holds a lot of potential, no decisions have been made regarding the future. Covenant's underperformance caused 20th Century Fox to reassess the series, so they may decide to take the franchise in a new direction or give it a soft reboot. Scott's new Alien films have been somewhat divisive among the fanbase too, with some lamenting that the Xenomorph has been sidelined within its own franchise.

It would be a shame if David's story was left unfinished, as Michael Fassbender's performance has been the highlight of the new movies so far. Scott has also teased the return of the Engineers in the next movie, and that the story will tie directly into the beginning of the original Alien. The release date for the currently untitled Alien: Covenant sequel is unknown, but Fox is unlikely to leave such a valuable franchise alone for long, so expect an update in the near future.

Straight Faced Customer

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 08, 2017, 07:28:36 AM
Glad you're in Team Covenant, Replies. We're deffo the coolest kids in this thread

Count me in. This was Prometheus, but without the pricks.

Alberon

Prometheus was a very annoying film filled with cliches acting stupidly, but Covenant played everything so fucking safe. The characters are better and the Xenomorphs are just about life there, but it all feels like such a retreat from Prometheus.

Could I have Neill Blomkamp's Alien 3 mkII next please?

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on October 11, 2017, 08:52:38 PM
Prometheus was a very annoying film filled with cliches acting stupidly, but Covenant played everything so fucking safe. The characters are better and the Xenomorphs are just about life there, but it all feels like such a retreat from Prometheus.

Could I have Neill Blomkamp's Alien 3 mkII next please?

What did you like about Prometheus that wasn't followed up?  Of the stuff dropped, I only remember the religious "searching for our creator" theme that I'm glad didn't receive further exploration.

Alberon

'Like' is perhaps too strong a word, but what I was looking for was more about the Engineers and their motives.

Instead Scott just offs them (and the first film's co-star) dismissively before breaking out the proto-xenomorphs for an, admittedly well filmed, run around. Prometheus tried, badly, to expand the Alien universe. Covenant, even down to the evil android, was just rerunning old cliches from the series.

So I end up disliking Covenant more even though in many ways it's a better film than Prometheus.

Kelvin

Quote from: Replies From View on October 12, 2017, 01:20:19 PM
What did you like about Prometheus that wasn't followed up?  Of the stuff dropped, I only remember the religious "searching for our creator" theme that I'm glad didn't receive further exploration.

The theme of creation is explored, to some extent, in Covenent, surely? That's literally all that motivates David. He wants to play god for a new, perfect species.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on October 12, 2017, 03:26:40 PM
'Like' is perhaps too strong a word, but what I was looking for was more about the Engineers and their motives.

Instead Scott just offs them (and the first film's co-star) dismissively before breaking out the proto-xenomorphs for an, admittedly well filmed, run around. Prometheus tried, badly, to expand the Alien universe. Covenant, even down to the evil android, was just rerunning old cliches from the series.

So I end up disliking Covenant more even though in many ways it's a better film than Prometheus.

To be fair, Scott has said the Engineers will feature more in the third film, which may make you retrospectively like Covenant more.  I don't think they were "offed dismissively".  They (or at least the ones on the planet at that time) met an aggressive, fateful end in a manner which revealed a lot about David's character.

I'm fascinated by David's character, to be honest.  I found the moment near the end when he did that sinister *shush* gesture because he wasn't Walter brilliant - absolutely chilling.

Head Gardener

Glebe

How Michelle Pfeiffer Inspired The Alien In Alien 3.

QuoteWe did give it Michelle Pfeiffer's lips. That's what they're based on. It always had these little thin lips, and I said to Giger, 'let's make it a woman when it comes right up to Ripley.' So it has these big, luscious collagen lips.

Crikey. Now I fancy the Alien 3 alien.

greenman

Quote from: Replies From View on October 12, 2017, 01:20:19 PM

The main disappointment would be that the engineers world wasn't some mind bender gigerish place that most people seem to have imagined and instead Pompei in New Zealand.

Watched both films at home recently and found myself disliking Prometheus more(especially Idris Elba's overdone nonchalance at seemingly everything)and enjoying Convent a bit more. I mean its still a lot more straight forward than the kind of drama Scott pulled off in the original, but its a nice looking, reasonably entertaining horror film let down by a bit of a clunky plot and a far too obvious twist.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on December 02, 2017, 12:51:53 PM
How Michelle Pfeiffer Inspired The Alien In Alien 3.

Crikey. Now I fancy the Alien 3 alien.

They didn't actually utilise Giger's design in the finished film though.  Having said that; I'd still hit it!  Biomechanical sex on quadruped legs.

Glebe

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 02, 2017, 10:34:42 PM
They didn't actually utilise Giger's design in the finished film though.  Having said that; I'd still hit it.  biomechanical sex on quadruped legs.

They should have just used an angry Michelle Pfeiffer.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on December 02, 2017, 10:38:09 PM
They should have just used an angry Michelle Pfeiffer.

There weren't enough of those still left, even then.  Remember the factory fire that took out most of the stock?

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on December 03, 2017, 05:18:55 PMThere weren't enough of those still left, even then.  Remember the factory fire that took out most of the stock?

Yes, but they can insert as many digital Pfeiffers as they want, now. You hear that, Biggy?

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on December 03, 2017, 05:49:28 PM
Yes, but they can insert as many digital Pfeiffers as they want, now. You hear that, Biggy?

I think there are ongoing disputes about who owns her image, to be honest.  Would be cheaper to just use an alien.

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on December 03, 2017, 05:49:28 PM
Yes, but they can insert as many digital Pfeiffers as they want, now.

Just not in a PG rated film.

Replies From View

Head Gardener

Replies From View

Would have been funnier if they'd called the cat "Nonce".

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Or 'Nigel', after the Dambusters dog.

St_Eddie

Introducing 'Mittens', who came from a litter of kittens.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
Introducing 'Mittens', who came from a litter of kittens.

Introducing
MISSING

Who isn't actually missing - that's just her name.

I've just realised that if I ever own a cat I'm going to name it MISSING, just to make the posters more entertaining in the event of its disappearance.

There should be more of me - I am such a genius.

St_Eddie

I wonder how the Disney buyout of 20th Century Fox will affect the Alien series?  Perhaps they'll cut Ridley Scott's nonsensical prequel wankery short and make Neill Blomkamp's nonsensical fanwankery instead.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 23, 2017, 02:03:44 PM
There should be more of me - I am such a genius.

Aye, humble too.

Psst!  Like you, I'm just being facetious.