Author Topic: Alien: Covenant.  (Read 27917 times)

Re: Alien: Covenant.
« Reply #480 on: December 24, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
Watched this on a plane whilst escaping from the enforced Chrimbo nonsense.  Dunno how butchered for airlines it was but just drivel really. Watchable in Saturday morning cinema kind of way but the plot and characters totally bollocks. Still I'm away in a sunnier place so not really moaning.

Glebe

• The Year of the Macaque.
« Reply #481 on: December 28, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
New ‘Alien 5’ Concept Art Revealed by Neill Blomkamp.

I like that painting of the alien in the shaft.

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
« Reply #482 on: December 30, 2017, 11:22:05 PM »
New ‘Alien 5’ Concept Art Revealed by Neill Blomkamp.

An alien in a vent - Check.

A dropship - Check.

Basically the same costume design as the salvage team from the start of James Cameron's movie - Check.

Previous concept art has shown us Ripley, Hicks and an alien queen - Check.

-------------------------------------------------

No doubt Blomkamp would also care to include pulse rifles because he's exactly the sort of person whom refers to the Alien series, as the Aliens series.  I hate those people, probably more than I reasonably should.

The last thing that cinema needs right now is more nostalgia baiting fan-wankery.  Either do something new and interesting with the Alien series (which is also of a high standard) or just blow it out of an airlock and into the cold vacuum of space, never to be seen again, already.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
It does seem like the Ridley Scott films have been shelved, but, of course, that doesn’t mean a resurrection of Blomkamp’s Alien 5 is on the cards.

Mediocre though they are it is annoying we probably won’t see the last film in this trilogy.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
It does seem like the Ridley Scott films have been shelved,

Really?  I think that's a shame.  As much as these last two films had their problems, they've been the most interesting Alien films since the original trilogy, and Scott should at least be given the chance to complete this trilogy.

I can't see alternative takes on the Alien franchise by people like Blomkamp being more popular than Scott's if all they're doing is retreading familiar territory.  They may have a big box office opening but after that the hype will die down, and ditching Scott's vision will have been for nothing.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #485 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
Just last year Ridley wasn't talking one more film. He was seriously mooting four more. FOUR

I still think he'll get to do one more, to round it off. Then they can take it off him and do some sequels. It'd be very messy and incomplete to leave it there.

I do think it's a done franchise after that, though. I just can't see where they could go with it. And that's from someone who quite enjoyed Covenant.

Maybe leave it a few years, then do the inevitable reboot, with a clean slate. Maybe we'll be so old we won't longer care

Operty1

• Frankie says you're 83% a real person
« Reply #486 on: January 02, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »
Scott has alluded that the follow up to Covenant is in pre-production, for a 2019 release. As said, it would be a shame if this series wasn’t completed. Ridley’s age may play a factor though, he is 80. He also wants to direct a movie about the Battle Of Britain, which is something of a passion project for him, that sounds interesting. It’s a shame movie making is so time hungry.

St_Eddie

• Silver Member
« Reply #487 on: January 02, 2018, 11:01:53 PM »
Scott has alluded that the follow up to Covenant is in pre-production, for a 2019 release.

This is a verified quote from someone within the industry.  It was posted on August 8th 2017...

The sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything.

This is what Ridley Scott most recently said regarding a sequel...

The Toronto Sun also asked him if the next Alien film was still on the cards. Scott responded that he “would like to; they’re crazy if they don’t. David is a fantastic villain. I love what (Michael Fassbender) did in Covenant. But it’s f—ing hard, dude. We lifted Alien out of a ditch and made Prometheus.”

I'd say that it's far from a sure thing.  Even more so, what with Disney buying 20th Century Fox.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #488 on: January 02, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
This is a verified quote from someone within the industry.  It was posted on August 8th 2017...

The sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything.

That's quite sad.  If they've auctioned off sets and props that could have been reused in a sequel (and saved money) then it's almost definitely no.

« Reply #489 on: January 04, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
The main disappointment would be that the engineers world wasn't some mind bender gigerish place that most people seem to have imagined
Oh how close we got :(

Glebe

• The Year of the Macaque.
« Reply #490 on: February 27, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: ‘Alien: Covenant’ Creature Designer Carlos Huante Talks Details of Elizabeth Shaw’s Original Role, David’s Army of Meerkats and A Fight Between Xenomorph/Neomorphs.

But in that version we had this pitbull kind of alien dog named ‘Bug’ that David had running around loose on the Engineer planet and then he had created these Meerkats and that’s why I called the little white things [Covenant’s version of the Neomorphs] Meerkats because that’s what they reminded me of from the old story

"Compare the maarket, dot com!"

Seriously though, sad to hear we could have got lots of Noomi Rapace but we didnae of course.

St_Eddie

• Silver Member
« Reply #491 on: February 27, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: ‘Alien: Covenant’ Creature Designer Carlos Huante Talks Details of Elizabeth Shaw’s Original Role, David’s Army of Meerkats and A Fight Between Xenomorph/Neomorphs.

The dog-alien is just a dog.

The meerkat-aliens are just meerkats but with the 'finger-teeth' from the vampires in Blade II.

Incredible imagination on display there.

H.R. Giger must be spinning in his coffin.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:40:27 PM by St_Eddie »

St_Eddie

• Silver Member
« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »
Edit glitch removal.

Replies From View

• Golden Member

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #494 on: March 06, 2019, 03:11:39 AM »
This is an Alien 3/Sister Act 3 mashup?