Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Covenant.

Started by Glebe, December 25, 2016, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbur

Watched this on a plane whilst escaping from the enforced Chrimbo nonsense.  Dunno how butchered for airlines it was but just drivel really. Watchable in Saturday morning cinema kind of way but the plot and characters totally bollocks. Still I'm away in a sunnier place so not really moaning.

Glebe

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on December 28, 2017, 08:37:29 AM
New 'Alien 5' Concept Art Revealed by Neill Blomkamp.

An alien in a vent - Check.

A dropship - Check.

Basically the same costume design as the salvage team from the start of James Cameron's movie - Check.

Previous concept art has shown us Ripley, Hicks and an alien queen - Check.

-------------------------------------------------

No doubt Blomkamp would also care to include pulse rifles because he's exactly the sort of person whom refers to the Alien series, as the Aliens series.  I hate those people, probably more than I reasonably should.

The last thing that cinema needs right now is more nostalgia baiting fan-wankery.  Either do something new and interesting with the Alien series (which is also of a high standard) or just blow it out of an airlock and into the cold vacuum of space, never to be seen again, already.

Alberon

It does seem like the Ridley Scott films have been shelved, but, of course, that doesn't mean a resurrection of Blomkamp's Alien 5 is on the cards.

Mediocre though they are it is annoying we probably won't see the last film in this trilogy.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on January 02, 2018, 09:21:08 PM
It does seem like the Ridley Scott films have been shelved,

Really?  I think that's a shame.  As much as these last two films had their problems, they've been the most interesting Alien films since the original trilogy, and Scott should at least be given the chance to complete this trilogy.

I can't see alternative takes on the Alien franchise by people like Blomkamp being more popular than Scott's if all they're doing is retreading familiar territory.  They may have a big box office opening but after that the hype will die down, and ditching Scott's vision will have been for nothing.

Custard

Just last year Ridley wasn't talking one more film. He was seriously mooting four more. FOUR

I still think he'll get to do one more, to round it off. Then they can take it off him and do some sequels. It'd be very messy and incomplete to leave it there.

I do think it's a done franchise after that, though. I just can't see where they could go with it. And that's from someone who quite enjoyed Covenant.

Maybe leave it a few years, then do the inevitable reboot, with a clean slate. Maybe we'll be so old we won't longer care

Operty1

Scott has alluded that the follow up to Covenant is in pre-production, for a 2019 release. As said, it would be a shame if this series wasn't completed. Ridley's age may play a factor though, he is 80. He also wants to direct a movie about the Battle Of Britain, which is something of a passion project for him, that sounds interesting. It's a shame movie making is so time hungry.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Operty1 on January 02, 2018, 09:51:48 PM
Scott has alluded that the follow up to Covenant is in pre-production, for a 2019 release.

This is a verified quote from someone within the industry.  It was posted on August 8th 2017...

QuoteThe sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything.

This is what Ridley Scott most recently said regarding a sequel...

QuoteThe Toronto Sun also asked him if the next Alien film was still on the cards. Scott responded that he "would like to; they're crazy if they don't. David is a fantastic villain. I love what (Michael Fassbender) did in Covenant. But it's f—ing hard, dude. We lifted Alien out of a ditch and made Prometheus."

I'd say that it's far from a sure thing.  Even more so, what with Disney buying 20th Century Fox.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 02, 2018, 11:01:53 PM
This is a verified quote from someone within the industry.  It was posted on August 8th 2017...

QuoteThe sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything.

That's quite sad.  If they've auctioned off sets and props that could have been reused in a sequel (and saved money) then it's almost definitely no.

Tikwid

Quote from: greenman on December 02, 2017, 04:48:56 PM
The main disappointment would be that the engineers world wasn't some mind bender gigerish place that most people seem to have imagined
Oh how close we got :(

Glebe

EXCLUSIVE: 'Alien: Covenant' Creature Designer Carlos Huante Talks Details of Elizabeth Shaw's Original Role, David's Army of Meerkats and A Fight Between Xenomorph/Neomorphs.

QuoteBut in that version we had this pitbull kind of alien dog named 'Bug' that David had running around loose on the Engineer planet and then he had created these Meerkats and that's why I called the little white things [Covenant's version of the Neomorphs] Meerkats because that's what they reminded me of from the old story

"Compare the maarket, dot com!"

Seriously though, sad to hear we could have got lots of Noomi Rapace but we didnae of course.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on February 27, 2019, 01:13:20 PM
EXCLUSIVE: 'Alien: Covenant' Creature Designer Carlos Huante Talks Details of Elizabeth Shaw's Original Role, David's Army of Meerkats and A Fight Between Xenomorph/Neomorphs.

The dog-alien is just a dog.

The meerkat-aliens are just meerkats but with the 'finger-teeth' from the vampires in Blade II.

Incredible imagination on display there.

H.R. Giger must be spinning in his coffin.

St_Eddie

Dex Sawash

This is an Alien 3/Sister Act 3 mashup?

kalowski

Quote from: Mister Six on May 28, 2017, 03:48:27 PM
Had no interest in seeing this, but was dragged along by my missus anyway. It didn't even live up to those expectations. Hard not to empathise with David's belief that he is better than all human life when literally every human within 100 years of him is a fucking idiot at all times. Even the nonsensical design of the ship suggests that Earth is populated by morons.

Anyway: Aside from nervy Christian captain (who got the only human-related scene I liked, where he talks about meeting the Devil), chubby Ripley and the bloke from Eastbound and Down, I was incapable of telling who any of the humans were at any point, or caring about any of them. The plot just kind of meanders halfheartedly whenever David's not on screen - he was very clearly the only part either Scott or the scriptwriter gave a shit about - and goes nowhere in particular, then finishes with an overly CGIed, utterly unthrilling scene that's like the ending of Alien TIMES A BILLION except without the slightest shred of tension.

List of stupid fucking nonsense things humans did in the film:

* Designed cryo pods that cannot be opened from the inside, meaning that if the robot breaks down, is disabled or turns out to be evil, you can't get out.

* Also filled cryo pods with petrol or something, so if they go a bit wrong you burn to death horribly.

* Put the long-term cargo pods for the colonists on stupid dangly cables, in a ship with artificial gravity, so that if there's any rocking or destabilisation, they'll bash into each other and fall off, and kill the people inside.

* Made all of the active crew on the ship couples, so that in the event of something going wrong, they would act not in the interests of the mission and the 2,000 people in stasis, but in the interests of their partners.

* Didn't make nervy Christian fella captain because of his religion, but did put him in a position where he would be captain if James Franco bit it.

* Didn't equip the crew with hazmat suits or even little face masks in the event of, say, the planet they are to land on having viruses, malicious bacteria or gross little black spore things.

* Crew then flew to spooky unknown too-good-to-be-true alien planet, took down most of the people with them.

* When two of their members became sick, either did not have, or did not initiate, quarantine procedures.

* When examining guy in horrible pain, don't wear any kind of protective clothing so his blood can spray all over you.

* Then panic and lock someone else in the room with him.

* Then panic again and blow up the ship with you in it.

(I know I've changed tenses at this point; shush.)

* When walking into a big temple thing occupied by a mysterious android, don't enquire about all the blackened, stone-like corpses around the place.

* Similarly: all split up upon arriving, without establishing any kind of perimiter even though you know there's a murderous thing outside.

* When said android has yammered on about his creating creepy parasites and monsters, follow him into his creepy cellar, then trust him when he asks you to peer over a gross alien egg thing.

I can't be bothered going on, but you get the idea. It's chock full of indistinguishable idiot people doing unbelievably idiotic things to no real end.

Would much rather have had a proper film about David and his plans, rather than this formless anodyne nonsense.
I watched this last night. Mister Six hits every nail on every head. Very poor film and particularly poor CGI. The Aliens seemed to be ten times stronger than the ones in the first films so did they evolve backwards?

JesusAndYourBush

Saw this on the telly the other night.  It was ok, if a little boring.  What concerned me most is the ending which is setting things up for a totally utterly boring Alien-by-numbers follow-up.  If there's a follow-up the only way it won't be shit is if they revealed within the first few minutes that the Covenant was self-destructed a couple of years later and then gets on with another story.