Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2017 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 01, 2017, 10:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 03, 2017, 06:51:45 PM
Million Dollar Baby. I knew it didn't have an happy ending, but fucking hell, Clint.

One of the few films I'm pleased a friend spoilered. I really could not deal with something that grim.

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on January 04, 2017, 01:31:50 PM
The Girl With All The Gifts

A zombie film where the zombies are caused by spores (or sutin) and they're trying to make a cure out of some kids. Starring Glenn Close (who at first I thought was doing a Yorkshire accent), Gemma Arteton (lovely) and Paddy Considine (sleepwalking)

6/10

I enjoyed this. Good central performance from the girl and an interesting take on a well-worn genre staple. Great soundtrack as well. I am not completely sure of the ending but apart from that i was intrigued throughout. I don't think Considine was sleepwalking either. He was just playing a no-nonsense soldier type so there wasn't much showboating going on

The Beast Written and Directed by Walerian Borowczyk

Fascinating and somewhat perverted attack on the bourgeoisie from Borowczyk, who is truly one of those artists who makes you see the world with a new perspective. Very funny in its deliberate affront to conventional taste and morality.

Steven

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on January 04, 2017, 04:27:15 PM
The Shelter. 5 people stuck in a nuclear shelter designed for only two people. Yeah the ending twist [nb]if you can call it that[/nb] is pretty obvious quite early on it's an entertaining strangers in a room movie. The last scene being a little haunting and reminding of the
Spoiler alert
russian sleep deprivation experiment locked in a room creepypasta
[close]
. Worth an hour 45 minutes of your time I reckon.

Do you mean Take Shelter, with Michael Shannon?

EDIT. Ah, reckon you meant Shelter. There's a bunch of films called Shelter/The Shelter, hence the confusion.

EDIT #2. In further twists and turns Rotten Toms lists this as Shelter (2012) but online it's available as Shelter (2015), I've just got to the bit where
Spoiler alert
the computer reads 'Lethal Nuclear Fallout' and as you said about guessing the twist early on, I'm guessing inevitably it will be they will start to in-fight etc leading in probable murder or whatever and it will turn out the computer just malfunctioned and all is well outside!
[close]

EDIT #3. Well, there's the above, but since it's a bunker
Spoiler alert
why are there loads of cameras filming the inside and at least two of the candidates were only there on a job-interview for the day in an office building so likely it's some cruel Social Experiment, too. Bleh.
[close]

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Steven on January 05, 2017, 08:26:02 PM

EDIT. Ah, reckon you meant Shelter. There's a bunch of films called Shelter/The Shelter, hence the confusion.

Yeah this one. Not the greatest film ever made but it entertained me for a couple of hours. One of those films that you see on TV and can't be bothered to switch channels (Triangle was the same for me, though that film I absolutely love) and end up saying to yourself' glad I watched that'

Innocents With Dirty Hands by Claude Chabrol

Ridiculously convoluted thriller with Rod Steiger sporting shit toupee/hair plugs and even shitter dubbing. Romy Schneider is excellent in it, and it's a shame she wasn't in more decent films.

zomgmouse

Raising Arizona. I was very much impressed at how sweet this film was through all of the mania and chaos. And also very hilarious! Great camerawork and a great cast.

Maîtresse by Barbet Schroeder

Unexpectedly great, thought it was going to be a bit of a trashy Euro thriller but turned out to be Cassavetes/Pialat style character study. Have come to the conclusion that Schroeder is very underrated, will be checking out some of his decent later stuff ASAP. Terror's Advocate looks interesting.

Home Movies by Brian De Palma

A self-consciously throwaway film that is fun and watchable enough. Not a lost 'New Hollywood' gem by any means. But it's nice to see De Palma make a kind of return to his experimental 16mm roots. Gerrit Graham is fucking hilarious in it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 05, 2017, 02:03:29 AM
Maniac (1980).
Reminded me of The Driller Killer a little bit.

But a million times better than Driller Killer.  Jesus christ, that film's a fucking state.  Hard to believe it's Abel Ferrara really.

Bit of a cop-out as I haven't actually watched them yet, but I've kind of bricked myself in to Very Long Film corner having got Napoleon (BFI/Kevin Brownlow reconstruction), 1900/Novecento (full version), Once Upon A Time In America (the extended Italian cut) and The New World (Criterion, with the 3 hour extended cut) on blu ray for chrimbo.

Barry Admin

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 05, 2017, 10:36:41 PM
Raising Arizona. I was very much impressed at how sweet this film was through all of the mania and chaos. And also very hilarious! Great camerawork and a great cast.

I don't usually read list threads but glad I caught this post. I watched it recently myself on Netflix, having not seen it since... Uh, around the time it was released, I guess. We all loved it in my school and would reference it all the time. It's stood the test of time with aplomb, absolutely cracking film, and yeah, really touching.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 06, 2017, 11:22:24 PM
I don't usually read list threads but glad I caught this post. I watched it recently myself on Netflix, having not seen it since... Uh, around the time it was released, I guess. We all loved it in my school and would reference it all the time. It's stood the test of time with aplomb, absolutely cracking film, and yeah, really touching.

Ahhhh, Leonard Smalls.

Sam

10 Cloverfield Lane

Way better than I thought it would be. Good acting, good dialogue, twists and turns, fun little B movie. I was still on board for the final section but I didn't like the last shot, which was quite cheesy. Still, a very entertaining fillum.

Van Dammage

What's the verdict on "The American"? The 2010 film with George Clooney. I'm currently reading the novel its based on, which annoyingly was renamed after the film was released, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth a look. The novel is excellent so far but I've heard mixed things about the film.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Van Dammage on January 07, 2017, 12:27:43 AM
What's the verdict on "The American"? The 2010 film with George Clooney. I'm currently reading the novel its based on, which annoyingly was renamed after the film was released, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth a look. The novel is excellent so far but I've heard mixed things about the film.

I like it a lot.  Very low key and minimalist.

I've not read the book, mind, so cannot compare the two.

I was also going to say that I'm in love with Brit Marling (which I am), but then remembered that it's actually Thekla Reuten.

Van Dammage

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 07, 2017, 01:07:48 AM
I like it a lot.  Very low key and minimalist.

This is what I was hoping to hear. That's how I'd describe the novel but I remembered seeing a trailer for the film that made it out to be some Jason Bourne style thing.

Dr Syntax Head

Hardcore Henry. Fuck me that was fun. Don't expect anything that you need tihinking about. It was simply fun.

Dr Syntax Head

[/quote
Bloody brilliant. I loved every second. The location makes it.

Van Dammage

Nice. I'll definitely check it out after I finish the novel.

Also, Hardcore Henry really is an excellent action film. It's basically a collection of video game set pieces. You've got the shootouts, the fist fight, the on foot chase, the car chase, the sniper level and the boss level.

Gonk

Pretty Village, Pretty Flame/Lepa sela lepo gore.

Black comedy (?) war movie about a group of Serbian soldiers hunkering down in a dilapidated tunnel one of them used to fear as a kid, with lots of chronological jumps contextualising how grim yet endearing the Balkans can be. Massively humanising, dodges the war is hell cliché by embracing it on a very personal level, while acknowledging both sides have their fair share of bastards.

Irritatingly, the trailer for it is awful and does no justice, but bloody Nora it's good.

Dex Sawash

I remember liking it but wishing for Jean Reno instead of Clooney

zomgmouse

Fear and Desire
Kubrick's first feature film and probably his weakest but there's evidence of what was going to come. I think this completes my viewing of his filmography if we don't count shorts.

Mimic
Brilliant creature effects such that they're as creepy in the shadows as they are in full visibility. A bit of a cop-out ending - I'd have preferred something a bit bleaker like in the original short story - but on the whole I was impressed at how organically the plot moved and mutated to the final showdown. And a very cool visual style as is expected from del Toro.

Coming to America
For some reason I had in my mind that this was a stupid, middling comedy and I was tremendously glad to be proven wrong. It's an utter delight. Jam-packed with jokes and a hell of a lot of heart. Hilarious and nuanced and Landis uses his flair for large-scale shenanigans to great effect. I loved this a lot.

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 06, 2017, 11:22:24 PM

PLUS it did the "breaking out of prison in the rain through a layer of shit" about five years before The Shawshank Redemption!
I loved how the Dr Spock book was carted back and forth across the film but never actually opened.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 06, 2017, 11:09:46 PM
But a million times better than Driller Killer.  Jesus christ, that film's a fucking state.  Hard to believe it's Abel Ferrara really.
I dunno, I got really into The Driller Killer. The sleeplessness as a horror mechanism appealed to me, as well as the musings on art and television. I thought it was a lot more experimental than I'd been led to believe through its - entirely unfair - classification as a video nasty.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Van Dammage on January 07, 2017, 03:29:13 AM

Also, Hardcore Henry really is an excellent action film. It's basically a collection of video game set pieces. You've got the shootouts, the fist fight, the on foot chase, the car chase, the sniper level and the boss level.

It was like watching someone play a first person shooter game, but actually fun. Best action film i've seen for a long time

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 05, 2017, 10:36:41 PM

Best Coen Bros film in my opinion. The prison breakout with John Goodman screaming while he pulls his mate out of the hole is hilarious. One of my favourite scenes in any film.

And it really is a sweet film

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Steven on January 02, 2017, 03:21:10 PM

Roman Polanski's The Tenant from 1976.

A really creepy psycho-sexual horror about obsession and paranoia. There is some humour though in the absolute horror the main character experiences, and the ending is so darkly grusome that it does pre-empt a Chris Morris Jam sketch.

I will be watching this tonight based on your comments here. Be warned if I waste 2 hours of my life you'll feel my wrath

zomgmouse

King of Jazz
Of its time but a fascinating curio. Lavish musical sequences in Technicolor - in 1930!

Son of a Gun
An okay Australian heist film starring Ewan McGregor. Kinda drawn out though there's some good moments.

Small Man Big Horse

Premature (2014) - A teen sex Groundhog Day type thing where an inept lover gets to go back and repeat his sexual antics until he stops prematurely ejaculating all over the shop. Sounds awful but some of the cast appealed (mainly Alan Tudyk and Craig Roberts) though your central lead fella is unfortunately a bit dull and he stupidly fancies the hot dumb blonde girl despite it being clear that the hot smart brunette[nb]Both played by actresses in their mid-twenties so you can watch it guilt free![/nb] obviously wants to fuck him. He also has to repeat his university interview with Tudyk each day, as well as avoid getting pissed on and all manner of hijinks like that. It's slightly smarter than all that suggests and initially there are some cute moments, but about half way through it gets all a bit shitty when yer main fella gets over confident and
Spoiler alert
forces students to kiss,punches a girl and sexually assaults her and one of his teachers.[nb]It's not quite as bad as that sounds, but he grabs hold of there breasts and the scene is played for laughs, somewhat unpleasantly.[/nb] He does at least get repeatedly kicked in the balls for doing such a thing, but it's still bleak (and lazy) stuff. Then he sinks in to a depression and is still an arsehole until he realises who he should shag and finally breaks the cycle.
[close]
It's a shame as the first half showed potential, and Alan Tudyk has fun with his role, but the second half really spoils it and makes it not really worth watching.

Body Double by Brian De Palma

De Palma gives up on coherency almost entirely and just paints a portrait of his inner self using light and celluloid. Perverse, ironic, fantastical and very funny. Has a beautiful score by Pino Donaggio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3VXlxCLHqY

chand

Gone Baby Gone (2007)
Film in which everyone is basically horrible except Casey Affleck, who looks miserable anyway and gets dumped at the end for doing what's essentially the right thing.