Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Injustice 2

Started by Barry Admin, January 02, 2017, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Anyone else really excited for this? I want to get back into fighting games, but was stupid enough to buy an Xbone, meaning no SFV. Have finally recently got Mortal Kombat XL in a sale, and am having fun, but am unsure how much time I should put into a fighting game near the end of its life cycle. Having said that, I think I might dig out SSFIV and dust off my Balrog and Ken.

Waiting on a Brooks Super Converter so I can use my lovely 360 fight stick on my Xbone, even though people say control pads are fine (sometimes even preferable) for NetherRealm fighters.

Kind of super-heroed out over the last few years, but the first Injustice game was ace, and the sequel is guaranteed to have another great story mode, and hopefully they'll bring back Star Labs, and go easy on the fucking DLC.

madhair60

I'm excited on the strength of the potential story mode, which as I mentioned in the MKXL thread is something that Netherealm really excel at. The original Injustice was great - it came out of nowhere for me and really impressed me.

samadriel

https://youtu.be/Nl2Ly5u85ak

New cinematic trailer. Damian Wayne, Bane, Poison Ivy, Brainiac, and Darkseid previewed.

Barry Admin

Fucking dirty bastards; just watching Angry Joe's analysis of the trailer and roster. Three versions of the game, standard, one with three DLC characters, and one with NINE!  And it's nearly double the cost of the standard edition, but Angry Joe is forgoing his usual ranting about this toxic shit to excuse it, the bearded shill. I really want this, but I might just put off buying it altogether now to be honest. Gamers need to start boycotting this nonsense.

Edit: Jesus fuck, they're adding all that "supply drop" shit too.

Spiteface

Looks like a trio of DLC characters has been unveiled: Starfire, Red Hood, and Sub-Zero, who won't be the only MK character crossing over, it seems.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6BHtwigEA

There's silhouettes for what will be future Fighter Packs, two of them are obvious:
Spoiler alert
Raiden and Black Manta both have distinctive headgear
[close]
, also rumours of Neo from The Matrix being a guest character.

I might have to get a new PS4 soon. Wi-fi's fucked on mine. That said, this all looks good, but I'd rather Netherrealm be working on MKXI.

Kelvin

I love that the "heroes run at each other and collide in the air" cliche has been repeated so often in recent times, that it's resulted in those three characters not actually running at each other at all, but instead aiming for the point at which their three routes would intersect.

Swoz_MK

MKXL was the first non-Capcom/ArcSys fighting game I'd enjoyed in years so will be picking this up for sure.
Speaking of MKXL, I played it for the first time in a little while last night and 4 of my DLC characters are missing and I can't see where to get them on the store without buying ones I already have (Jason for example). Bah.

Fighters always seem to have terrible balance problems on release which is as to be expected but those issues must get so much harder to solve with armour systems, essentially creating a huge roster of characters.

(Long time lurker, first time poster)

madhair60

I am absolutely having this.

Barry Admin

Swoz_MK

Picking it up after work. As with all new fighters I'm absolutely torn on which character to start with. My heart says Swamp Thing. My desire to win easily against Day 1 Batmans says Deadshot.

Barry Admin

All signs seem to point to AWESOME, with the single-player content apparently being particularly brilliant, and the facial animations setting new standards. Right enough I was very impressed by what I saw of the beta footage.

Kelvin

I watched the whole story mode on youtube the other day, as I can't play this on Switch. I'll never get over Wonder Woman being evil. It ain't right.

edit: that's not a spoiler, by the way. She was evil in the first one.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 19, 2017, 10:34:21 AM
Picking it up after work. As with all new fighters I'm absolutely torn on which character to start with. My heart says Swamp Thing. My desire to win easily against Day 1 Batmans says Deadshot.

I GOT IT! HYPE! Dicking around with the characters now, thinking either Catwoman or Black Canary, based just on coolnesss. Gonna try Swamp Thing now to see his moveset and combos. I wanna get the season pass when I can afford it, to get the first three DLC characters. 

Doctor Fate looks kind of cool too. Swamp Thing can grow big bushels out of his shoulders!

Barry Admin

Tempted by Robin, surprisingly. He's got a sword. Decent cape and cowl too. I wish I'd been playing Injustice 1 more to get in shape, gah.

Edit: Black Canary is a beast, I love her!

Sad to see that no one on my friends list is playing this yet. I hope this reawakens interest in fighting games.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Kelvin on May 19, 2017, 02:16:19 PM
I watched the whole story mode on youtube the other day, as I can't play this on Switch. I'll never get over Wonder Woman being evil. It ain't right.

edit: that's not a Spoiler, by the way. She was evil in the first one.

What did you think of it? I've just finished playing through the Gods Among Us story again. Returning to injustice 2, wow. Those facial animations are absolutely staggering. I'm sick to death of Harley, but could watch her introduction on a loop.

That's as far as I've got anyway, might get a good way into the story today, as the pre-fight dialogue seems to reference the storyline a fair bit.

First online game was a spamming Atrocitus, awful, will have to learn how to deal with that as I expect I'll be seeing it a lot. Next fight was with a guy who I could continually parry, but I didn't want to be a twat, so got the W by trying out other bits and pieces.

Kelvin

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 20, 2017, 01:40:03 PM
What did you think of it? I've just finished playing through the Gods Among Us story again. Returning to injustice 2, wow. Those facial animations are absolutely staggering. I'm sick to death of Harley, but could watch her introduction on a loop.

Hard to really talk about without getting into spoilers, but it was compelling, if not exactly deep. I'm a massive fan of Superman, Batman and a lot of DC in general, so I can never quite get over Superman being a cold-hearted, remorseless bastard, or, as I said, Wonder Woman being a manipulative, ruthless bitch; but it's always fun seeing heroes and villains flipping sides. Batman's my favourite comic book character, so I'm happy they get him absolutely spot on. The voice acting's consistently great, too. 

Actually, my only genuine problem with the story is the costume designs for some of the characters. Superman, in particular, look daft as fuck this time around. How does he play? I'd definitely want to main him, if I had the chance.   

Barry Admin

Superman? Haven't tried him yet mate, however I did just unlock fishnets and a nice yellow jacket for Black Canary.

Ooh, and a basque.

Barry Admin

The Green Lantern is now Tank Dempsey from CoD Zombies. Shit is fucked up. Robert Englund as Scarecrow is an inspired bit of voice acting though.

biggytitbo

What are the buttocks like in this game?

Barry Admin

Absolutely loving this game, and really want to stop being a casul. Wish everyone was playing this, it's awesome. Only downside is seemingly no character challenges? Wtf I love those.

biggytitbo

Who wins the best buttocks award in this game? Is it Wonderful Woman or one of the fellas?

That's the main thing I've noticed about getting back into games is that 90% of the graphics power of the new engines is used to render highly realistic bum physics.

Barry Admin

Just hit the 50% mark in the story, and I am really impressed! It's the best action film I've seen in years. More coherent, dramatic and engaging than the Mortal Kombat X one.

Barry Admin

Here you go biggy, level 20 Canary bum just for you:

Swoz_MK

I am so crap at this it is untrue.

Ham Bap

Bought this on Saturday. It's a really good game but I havent played a fighting game probably sine Mortal Kombat on the SNES which Wikipedia tells me was a quarter of a century ago **touches face, feels wrinkles**

From playing the tutorial and practice mode a bit the moves arent really that difficult but from watching this video its putting them all together after that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WlIuMQfi7I

Its gonna take a fair few hours to try and master 1 character remember their moves then move on to the next.
But yeah id love to get good at this. Otherwise all i play on PS4 is Rocket league Rumble Mode which is fun but after a few thousand games it starts to grate with people quitting left right and centre whenever a goal is conceded. And every other annoyance that comes with playing with random gamers online.

Barry Admin

Yeah Bap, I think the amount of practice required is one of the main reasons that fighting games are such a niche interest today. You do really have to spend time just going through strings and experimenting in the practice room. You can hit start and go to your move list to tag a few combos in there though, that really helps. You can even do that in the middle of a fight with AI. Look for where attacks are landing on your opponent for your mixup game - in other words, your opponent has to guess where  to block, and you want to be able to take advantage of that.

But yeah don't be intimidated, just get into the lab and practice, and try to stick with one character for the most part. At level 10 and 20 you unlock new abilities, yay. Experiment and see what you can come up with yourself, and then just start getting it into muscle memory. Check the practice room options too.

Meter is super useful so don't spaff it all on supers, and learn how to integrate your characters trait. Definitely try experimenting with meter burning some of your moves, to see what other options this gives you.

Barry Admin

Oh yeah, the supers all seem to be interactive; you can buff or nerf them by hitting heavy attack each time a hit occurs, has to be timed right. You'll know if you've got it if you see an icon appearing under the health bar.

Edit: for Ham Bap and anyone else returning to fighters after many years; "chunking" is invaluable. This is just breaking loads of info down into smaller chunks, and working on each chunk at a time. So at the minute I'm doing these combos over and over with Canary: forward 1, 3, down back 2 (in other words the Birds of Prey into Canary Drop - 1 is  light, 2 is medium 3 is heavy) and  2, 1, down back 2 (Inner Strength into Canary Drop). I want those firmly ingrained in muscle memory, then I'll start adding more bits and pieces to them.

Important: I'd also recommend turning off "release check", "alternate control" and maybe also "input shortcuts" in controller presets, but leave "buttton shortcuts" on. Release check in particular will Just fuck you up.

Ham Bap

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 22, 2017, 12:18:06 PM
Oh yeah, the supers all seem to be interactive; you can buff or nerf them by hitting heavy attack each time a hit occurs, has to be timed right. You'll know if you've got it if you see an icon appearing under the health bar.

Edit: for Ham Bap and anyone else returning to fighters after many years; "chunking" is invaluable. This is just breaking loads of info down into smaller chunks, and working on each chunk at a time. So at the minute I'm doing these combos over and over with Canary: forward 1, 3, down back 2 (in other words the Birds of Prey into Canary Drop - 1 is  light, 2 is medium 3 is heavy) and  2, 1, down back 2 (Inner Strength into Canary Drop). I want those firmly ingrained in muscle memory, then I'll start adding more bits and pieces to them.

Important: I'd also recommend turning off "release check", "alternate control" and maybe also "input shortcuts" in controller presets, but leave "buttton shortcuts" on. Release check in particular will Just fuck you up.

Some great advice! Thanks!

Barry Admin

No worries. Couple more things: join a guild! Get in one that is nearly full or looks like it will fill up, and then check back to your guild page every once in a while. If there are active players, you will get a lot of loot boxes, and will be able to help with guild events.

Multiverse is fucking great. After you've done the tutorial go to Battle Simulator; advanced battle simulator is like arcade mode. Beating the 8 characters in there will get you a cutscenes for each person you do it with.

Almost finished the story. Just amazing, love it, some really exciting moments that thrilled me.