Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Milo Yiannopoulos Book Deal Row

Started by Claude Balls, January 05, 2017, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I don't know much about this guy but surely it'd be worth a few grand to purchase 20 odd of those $750 packages to ensure all his time was taken up fulfilling the obligations so he wouldn't have any left to do anything else like write or speak.

Cuellar

Quote from: icehaven on December 06, 2018, 02:28:53 PM
I don't know much about this guy but surely it'd be worth a few grand to purchase 20 odd of those $750 packages to ensure all his time was taken up fulfilling the obligations so he wouldn't have any left to do anything else like write or speak.

$750 PER MONTH if you can imagine it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Cuellar on December 06, 2018, 02:34:46 PM
$750 PER MONTH if you can imagine it.

Oh my God! Like a subscription? That's...extraordinary. Still be fun to waste his time, just maybe not 600 smackers a month's worth of fun.

ajsmith2

There's absolutely no way even half of those pledge obligations would get fulfilled if the money was paid out anyway. They'd all get fudged or forgotten about.

Cuellar

Quote from: icehaven on December 06, 2018, 02:59:09 PM
Oh my God! Like a subscription? That's...extraordinary. Still be fun to waste his time, just maybe not 600 smackers a month's worth of fun.

Indeed, absolutely baffling.

sevendaughters

I've dined with him in a former life (before he was a grifter racist) and I'd have to be paid for that experience again.

Apparently he left a trail of shitty unpaid debts in the UK when he fled here too, anyone know anything about that?

Blue Jam

sevendaughters

it's not an amazing story but here goes: this was when I was doing my masters. i wrote for the uni paper, sub-edited the music section. there was a meeting of the sub-editors, getting to know each other type affair over pancakes at a branch of Giraffe. we're about to start chatting about the direction we're going to take this term when a friend of the editor comes in - our titular hero -  comes in, chatting loudly on his phone and waving away would-be waiters in the brusque manner of the rich and overconfident.

eventually he finishes his call with the 8 or so of us trying to have a slightly farcical conversation and just dives straight into our conversation and utterly dominates it. in a way it was quite a sight. he's got all these big plans for every section of the paper (i can't remember if he'd dropped out at this point, so his affiliation was minimal in reality) and they all involved the admittedly conservative paper becoming a bit more inyourface and more like The Tab.

he went round each section suggesting - unsolicited - what we could all do to make it more interesting, which often involved flying in the face of whatever we'd done already (or his conception of it). when he got to me (i was seated next to him) he went off on how he knows loads of guys in "the scene" (which scene?) in London who i could go and chat to and how i should DEFINITELY speak to this one person he knows who is rillyrilly interesting. i said, in a low-ish voice, "so what do i get to volunteer YOU for?", and he did this matey arm punch that i found a bit embarrassing.

so yeah when i saw him being a thoroughgoing racist i was a bit surprised but it didn't exactly lack sense given that i knew he was just angling for a place where he could make his voice and contrary spirit felt the most. in a room full of slightly territorial nebbish writers it wasn't quite going to play.

i never did follow his suggestions or meet him again, though our mutual friend would go on to set up some tech news website with him. i'd be staggered if they're still friends, what with some of the shit he's said that directly affects this person's ethnicity. i didn't dislike him either because then i did walk away thinking "well that's quite a character who won't affect my life" but not thinking it would actually go anywhere.

Mr. Etiquette

You realise he's married to a black man, right?

imitationleather

I can't believe that in Jordan Peterson these fuckwits managed to find a figurehead even more ridiculous and less charismatic than gay nerd Ed Miliband after a Gok Wan makeover. Syd Little must be fancying his chances of becoming the new darling of the alt-right.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Mr. Etiquette on December 07, 2018, 01:14:24 AM

one hell of a posting history there, mate

Blue Jam

Thanks for that, sevendaughters- for me the detail of Milo having pancakes at Giraffe was enough. These days he probably drrams of being able to afford pancakes at Giraffe...

Is he? Funny, he never mentions this fact. Perhaps he should mention it more often...

Paul Calf

And of course, no misogynist has ever been married.

Wow great post, I've completely changed my mind. I now DON'T think it's good that that nazi shithead has gone bankrupt.

Mr. Etiquette

Owch guys. Hitting me where it hurts most! My POSTING HISTORY!
Maybe I should explain to help you understand: my response was a direct one for whoever it was who suggested black people wouldn't be his friend anymore for all the anti-black stuff he's supposedly said (he hasn't).
I think he's a bit of a twat and his downfall is largely deserved. But if you are married to a black man, it's probably likely you're not a racist. I mean, that's a fair point isn't it? Or are we still all pretending otherwise?

PlanktonSideburns

Don't think you can definatley assume that - people are tricky and sometimes ones relationships and politics don't line up,  like farage and his fourgein missus

Cuellar

Quote from: Mr. Etiquette on December 07, 2018, 10:42:55 PM
Owch guys. Hitting me where it hurts most! My POSTING HISTORY!
Maybe I should explain to help you understand: my response was a direct one for whoever it was who suggested black people wouldn't be his friend anymore for all the anti-black stuff he's supposedly said (he hasn't).
I think he's a bit of a twat and his downfall is largely deserved. But if you are married to a black man, it's probably likely you're not a racist. I mean, that's a fair point isn't it? Or are we still all pretending otherwise?

Lots of high ranking Nazis were on very good terms with individual Jews.

Breitbart maintained a 'Black Crime' section of their website while he was senior editor, so yeah I think he's pretty fucking racist

Kelvin

Blue Jam

Milo's black husband must be the only person on the planet who is more filled with self-loathing than Milo himself.

BritishHobo

Also the whole 'I'm not a racist I have black friends!' shit is something Milo himself has repeatedly and desperately used, puncuating every racist right-wing appearance with gags about a fetish for black men and black cock. Ironically for people who bang on about virtue signalling and labels, the right are obsessed with this idea that it doesn't matter if the content of your opinions is racist, if you constantly promote racism, if your entire worldview is openly rooted in racism - you can just say you're not racist, and that's what counts.

Flouncer

I was going to say, I've heard him say that he only dates black men, which implies some weird fetishisation and in no way precludes him from being racist. It's like saying "He can't be a misogynist because his partner is a woman."

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 08, 2018, 06:41:32 PM
Also the whole 'I'm not a racist I have black friends!' shit is something Milo himself has repeatedly and desperately used, puncuating every racist right-wing appearance with gags about a fetish for black men and black cock. Ironically for people who bang on about virtue signalling and labels, the right are obsessed with this idea that it doesn't matter if the content of your opinions is racist, if you constantly promote racism, if your entire worldview is openly rooted in racism - you can just say you're not racist, and that's what counts.

There's also this counter-sexism thing that happens with the likes of Tomi Lahren where people insist that she probably loves fucking black guys in her private life, despite the racist views she expresses publicly. So Milo might be using an effective defence for some folks.

BritishHobo

This is great shit. It shows that fuck-all has changed since the days of Milo's many failed tech journalism ventures back in the UK - he remains a shiter with no real business nous who talks the world's biggest game but has absolutely no ability to translate that into any sort of long-term business success. He can flounder on for a bit with whatever cash he's stumped together, and then it all falls apart. Every time.

Milo would like to believe that this has happened because society is hostile to right-wingers, but it's not true. Right-wing populism is as strong as ever, and plenty of other fascist pundits do gangbusters. The problem isn't politics, it's him - and it always will be.

thenoise

I'm pretty sure that his only fucking black guys (he used to joke about sending his 'staff' into the ghetto to get him some black guys to fuck as he never met any in the circles he moves in) is a pretty clear indicator that he is a racist.

'I am not a sexist, I love women!  In fact I regularly send my butler out into shopping mall to go and fetch me one to fuck.'

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 08, 2018, 06:50:45 PM
This is great shit. It shows that fuck-all has changed since the days of Milo's many failed tech journalism ventures back in the UK - he remains a shiter with no real business nous who talks the world's biggest game but has absolutely no ability to translate that into any sort of long-term business success. He can flounder on for a bit with whatever cash he's stumped together, and then it all falls apart. Every time.

Milo would like to believe that this has happened because society is hostile to right-wingers, but it's not true. Right-wing populism is as strong as ever, and plenty of other fascist pundits do gangbusters. The problem isn't politics, it's him - and it always will be.

This is so true. This era is so ripe for the right wing grift merchant. Seemingly anybody can make a bit of cash by jumping on the 'anything to trigger the libs/pc culture' train. And Milo had publicity to die for. The Berkley riots, mainstream TV appearances, a book with a major publisher, and he fucked it all up.

Now Jordan Peterson is the go-to guy if you need someone to ham-handedly pantomime puncturing the liberal orthodoxy for the sake of ambiently aggrieved fuckwits and Milo sits at home watching him, seething

rue the polywhirl

Just saw that his real name is Hanrahan, which makes him MILO'Hanraha-Hanrahan. Similar journalistic credentials as well. If anything, Chris Morris and Day Today fans should be showing greater kinsmanship with this feisty, foolhardiest of fops.

steveh

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 08, 2018, 07:56:49 PM
This era is so ripe for the right wing grift merchant.

They all seem to be funded by the same coterie of far-right US billionaires too.