Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Milo Yiannopoulos Book Deal Row

Started by Claude Balls, January 05, 2017, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Yeah, some people even fancy George Osborne, apparently.

Somewhere beneath the stupid hair and clothes and the perpetual smug grin there is a reasonably good looking man.

I don't believe in his assertion that he 'only dates black guys' - has he ever been seen with one on his arm? - just seems to be an excuse so he can 'get away with' saying things that his (overwhelmingly heterosexual) fans feel they can't say publicly.

If he ever fucks anyone he is definitely looking in the mirror while he does it.

Cuellar

Deciding not to publish something isn't censorship.

I imagine publishers receive lots of racist/sexist/homophobic manuscripts without feeling that they HAVE to publish them because if they don't it's censorship.

Big publishers tend to publish stuff they think will sell. They're not aloof arbiters of taste and culture. If they think Milo's specific brand of misogynistic sub-Withnailian foppery will sell, than that's a sad indictment of society. If they don't want to be associated with it then that's entirely up to them.

Maybe he can get a vanity press to publish it, like he did with his poems.

Quote from: thenoise on January 06, 2017, 08:40:34 AM

I don't believe in his assertion that he 'only dates black guys' - has he ever been seen with one on his arm? - just seems to be an excuse so he can 'get away with' saying things that his (overwhelmingly heterosexual) fans feel they can't say publicly.

c.f. His religion. An openly gay Catholic with a 'complicated' relationship with God, and also Jewish so when Steve Bannon hired him for Breitbart it PROVES Bannon isn't an anti-Semite.

Claude Balls

Milo mustn't be cowed by the totalitarian Snowflake Generation.

imitationleather

If Ed Miliband and Chris Morris had a child.

We've done this before, but I find those blonde identikit right-wingers that Noodle Lizard has a wide-on for completely unsexy. Almost like robots designed to be attractive. Just not my cup of tea at all.

Cuellar

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 05, 2017, 08:55:41 PMPerhaps the most offensive thing about Yiannopoulos, Hopkins, Brendan O'Neill etc is how very boring they all are. Those opinions they pretend to hold are just dog-whistle journalism, they aren't original or insightful or even expressed eloquently.

Yeah, if you tell me the subject Brendan O'Neill has written about, I can probably guess his professed opinion.

Cuellar

And they seem so pleased with themselves, as if they invented this brand of anti-PC flummery.

I was watching TMWRNJ the other day (on youtube, not YEARS ago), and the staff of the Ironic Review pitch a piece on The PC Mr Men (Mr. Vertically Challenged etc.), and one of them goes off on one saying 'This is a hackneyed, 10 year old idea!' And that was in the NINETIES.

jobotic

Quote from: Claude Balls on January 06, 2017, 09:49:08 AM

You thick cunt. Try writing something that wasn't cut and pasted from the alt-right phrasebook.

The snowflake generation are the ones who think they are entitled to fling their shit around without any criticism from anyone. The ones that have all the power but still want to play the victims. The right in other words.

Blue Jam

Thomas

Quote from: jobotic on January 06, 2017, 10:57:13 AM
You thick cunt. Try writing something that wasn't cut and pasted from the alt-right phrasebook.

The snowflake generation are the ones who think they are entitled to fling their shit around without any criticism from anyone. The ones that have all the power but still want to play the victims. The right in other words.

I intuitively feel that the contrarian, default-avatered Claude Balls doesn't actually believe what he types on here. He's a bloke sitting somewhere, halfheartedly hoping for the reaction you've just given him.

But I do agree with your sentiment about the right's own sensitive tendencies.

mrpupkin

The Americans love being told what to do by the British fellas don't they? John Oliver, Chris Hitchens, Gervais, Dawkins, Piers Morgan, this Milo bloke, some others probably... All of these guys are famous over there for giving it to you straight like a pear cider made from 100% British pears, as if a British pear has any business spouting his limey mouth off on CNN or whatever. Imagine if some yankee doodle was all over our telly giving it the biggun about British politics? "Ya know what, Cameron's gotta haul ass on this one. Y'all are snowflakes y'all". We'd be like do one mate, wouldn't we?

Cuellar

Quote from: jobotic on January 06, 2017, 10:57:13 AM

George Oscar Bluth II

It is quite bizarre that a British person is identified as one of the biggest media supporters of the new US president.

Do they not consider us "real" foreigners or what? Cos I can't imagine anyone being OK with a high profile media personality who was a US citizen cheerleading for either major party in a general election here.

I mean, does Milo even live in the US?

Thomas

Quote from: mrpupkin on January 06, 2017, 11:10:30 AM
The Americans love being told what to do by the British fellas don't they? John Oliver, Chris Hitchens, Gervais, Dawkins, Piers Morgan, this Milo bloke, some others probably... All of these guys are famous over there for giving it to you straight like a pear cider made from 100% British pears, as if a British pear has any business spouting his limey mouth off on CNN or whatever. Imagine if some yankee doodle was all over our telly giving it the biggun about British politics? "Ya know what, Cameron's gotta haul ass on this one. Y'all are snowflakes y'all". We'd be like do one mate, wouldn't we?

Of course, Farage is another British voice slinking about in America of late, addressing crowds with a new transatlantic accent and lapping up all of Fox News' praise for allegedly 'leading UKIP to victory' in the referendum.

ajsmith

http://heatst.com/politics/sarah-silverman-and-judd-apatow-join-movement-to-stop-publication-of-milos-book/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/04/simon-schuster-alt-right-hate-breitbart-milo-yiannopoulos

I do find it disappointing folks like Sarah Silverman and the like coming out and saying this book shouldn't be published etc.

They're just falling for his shtick and by calling for suppression, bestowing upon it a subversive power it doesn't deserve but that Milo certainly craves.

Can't believe supposedly media savvy people are falling for the trap. I know it's the oldest 'just ignore them and they'll go away' advice in the book, but it really would work in this case. The book's called 'Dangerous' and you're actually helping it live up to it's title. They should just let him get on with delivering his jobby and, if anything, make a tartly unimpressed zinger when he's done.

jobotic

Quote from: Thomas on January 06, 2017, 11:09:56 AM
I intuitively feel that the contrarian, default-avatered Claude Balls doesn't actually believe what he types on here. He's a bloke sitting somewhere, halfheartedly hoping for the reaction you've just given him.

Yeah true, I'm a fool for these fuckers.

madhair60

I disagree with a lot of Milo's opinions but I have grown to rather like him. He's just too adorable! Look at him! Look at his little face... he's lovely.

Shaky

Quote from: Claude Balls on January 06, 2017, 09:49:08 AM

So blatantly designed to get a rise of people, it's fucking laughable.

You might as well shout, "Er, I love Hitler!" for all the genuine transgressiveness, wit or insight you're showing there.

ajsmith

Quote from: Thomas on January 06, 2017, 11:14:50 AM
Of course, Farage is another British voice slinking about in America of late, addressing crowds with a new transatlantic accent and lapping up all of Fox News' praise for allegedly 'leading UKIP to victory' in the referendum.

Argh yeah I hate Americans being impressed by Farage and not getting the full picture of how he's seen in the UK. It's like Gervais in the 00s, you feel frustrated that you can't get across the nuances of how shite he is in so many ways. No it's just,cut back to the photo of him smiling in the pub, what a great old archetypal English gent who knows where it was at before we lost the plot. Beyond question, even more than Trump because they just don't get it.

Interesting you don't see many Farage Pepes, I suspect because the original source face is so Amphibian like to begin with
that inviting the comparison doesn't do the subject any favours.

This genuine attempt at doing at PepeFarage by a supporter in the wake of Brexit bears that out imo.
Just looks miserable and in pain.

Large Noise

Quote from: ajsmith on January 06, 2017, 11:17:21 AM
http://heatst.com/politics/sarah-silverman-and-judd-apatow-join-movement-to-stop-publication-of-milos-book/

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/04/simon-schuster-alt-right-hate-breitbart-milo-yiannopoulos

I do find it disappointing folks like Sarah Silverman and the like coming out and saying this book shouldn't be published etc.

They're just falling for his shtick and by calling for suppression, bestowing upon it a subversive power it doesn't deserve but that Milo certainly craves.

Can't believe supposedly media savvy people are falling for the trap. I know it's the oldest 'just ignore them and they'll go away' advice in the book, but it really would work in this case. The book's called 'Dangerous' and you're actually helping it live up to it's title. They should just let him get on with delivering his jobby and, if anything, make a tartly unimpressed zinger when he's done.
Could be the same cynicism on their part, in reverse; use his book to get attention for themselves by publicly opposing it.

The book itself will of course be shit, but this has always been about money for Milo, and he'll doubtless make absolutely fucking hunners of it.

Claude Balls

Quote from: ajsmith on January 06, 2017, 11:28:32 AM
Argh yeah I hate Americans being impressed by Farage and not getting the full picture of how he's seen in the UK. It's like Gervais in the 00s, you feel frustrated that you can't get across the nuances of how shite he is in so many ways. No it's just,cut back to the photo of him smiling in the pub, what a great old archetypal English gent who knows where it was at before we lost the plot. Beyond question, even more than Trump because they just don't get it.

Interesting you don't see many Farage Pepes, I suspect because the original source face is so Amphibian like to begin with
that inviting the comparison doesn't do the subject any favours.

This genuine attempt at doing at PepeFarage by a supporter in the wake of Brexit bears that out imo.
Just looks miserable and in pain.

Nigel is such a likable guy. As anyone listening to his LBC show this week will attest.

thenoise

Quote from: Cuellar on January 06, 2017, 09:36:02 AM

I imagine publishers receive lots of racist/sexist/homophobic manuscripts without feeling that they HAVE to publish them because if they don't it's censorship.

Big publishers tend to publish stuff they think will sell. They're not aloof arbiters of taste and culture. If they think Milo's specific brand of misogynistic sub-Withnailian foppery will sell, than that's a sad indictment of society. If they don't want to be associated with it then that's entirely up to them.

Maybe he can get a vanity press to publish it, like he did with his poems.

c.f. His religion. An openly gay Catholic with a 'complicated' relationship with God, and also Jewish so when Steve Bannon hired him for Breitbart it PROVES Bannon isn't an anti-Semite.

I can see a lot of the 'old right' having seen him piss people off on the TV news buying it out of curiosity, as well as people who have heard the phrase 'alt-right' who are curious and don't know what it means.  People who don't know or care about twitter, presumably.

thenoise

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 06, 2017, 11:13:54 AM
It is quite bizarre that a British person is identified as one of the biggest media supporters of the new US president.

Do they not consider us "real" foreigners or what? Cos I can't imagine anyone being OK with a high profile media personality who was a US citizen cheerleading for either major party in a general election here.

I mean, does Milo even live in the US?
Americas see a posh well-spoken English person and think 'well-educated', whereas in England we tend to think 'out of touch'.

Noodle Lizard

Somewhere beneath the stupid hair and clothes and the perpetual smug grin there is a reasonably good looking man.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Cuellar on January 06, 2017, 09:36:02 AM

I think everyone understands this.  "Censorship" isn't technically the right term to use, but there is something to be said for publishers (whether it be books, film, TV, whatever) refusing to put something out there because they fear a backlash from certain portions of the public.  This ultimately has a similar effect to what censorship from a government body would - not in any one individual case, but as a trend.  The kind of person who would lobby against an organisation publishing something they don't agree with[nb]in this case, a book which doesn't yet even exist[/nb] is not someone I think I'd see eye to eye with on issues surrounding free public discourse.

Moreover, and it's a point I've made countless times regarding Milo and his followers; the more you do stuff like this or banning him from Twitter or successfully preventing him from talking at your university, the more he and his followers feel vindicated in their assertion that there's a conspiracy to silence them, and the more people who wouldn't previously have given him much thought become aware of him.  I'm astonished those who are so vehemently against him don't appear to understand his most basic mode of operation.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Large Noise on January 06, 2017, 11:31:02 AM
Could be the same cynicism on their part, in reverse; use his book to get attention for themselves by publicly opposing it.

Yep. Remember that lawyer who got the email telling her she had a "stunning" LinkedIn profile pic? People wondered why she didn't just block the guy's account and move on, and didn't seem to consider that she was after some publicity and a kickstart to her media career, and that she succeeded in getting these things:

Cuellar

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 06, 2017, 01:07:24 PM
I think everyone understands this.

I think that's optimistic.

I'm astonished those who are so vehemently against him don't appear to understand his most basic mode of operation.

Well yeah, this much is clear. What happens when people DON'T openly oppose people like this spouting bullshit, however, is they get invited into debates in order to be 'open' and 'balanced', giving them exposure far greater than their unpleasant views deserve. Needless to say, it's the far-right who seem to be doing a whole fucksight better out of 'cultural relativism' than the SJWs they rail against. Far better for them to carry on bitching about a conspiracy of silence and there ACTUALLY BE AN EFFORT TO SILENCE THEM, than them to fucking groan on about it while being on Sky News and writing their bile for reputable publishers.

I think a public outcry at the prospect of a book by Milo is a sign of a healthy society. As Slavoj Zizek has said, I don't want to have to live in a society that allows open debate about the rightness/wrongness of rape. There are surely certain things that you WANT the public to lash out at.

Did you see that terrible article in the Irish Times? 'How to speak racist 4chan! Here's what the alt-right mean when they say 'Dindu''.

Fucking disaster.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: mobias on January 05, 2017, 06:22:16 PM
Do any of his 'fans' buy books?

They'll all buy this, to stick it to the cuck SJW liberals and drink their tears. There's a part of me that unwillingly admires Milo for that. He's found his marks, and he's taking them for everything. Not really admirable, but then the marks in question are scum so...

Quote from: Thomas on January 06, 2017, 11:09:56 AM
I intuitively feel that the contrarian, default-avatered Claude Balls doesn't actually believe what he types on here.

So kind of like an unsuccessful Milo, whose audience is limited to CaB? That's the bleakest thing I can possibly think of.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

If he ever fucks anyone he is definitely looking in the mirror while he does it.

There was a recent interview with him in which he said he's the woman in a relationship, and needs a man who can throw him around a bit. Anyone know a bloke with a trebuchet?

Large Noise

The Irish Times story is another example: it appeared online only, not in print, and you can bet that it generated massive traffic for the site.

Take Lindy West flouncing off Twitter the other day. No sooner had she flounced than she had a fucking article in The Gaurdian about it. As if she couldn't just change the settings on her account so she'd stop getting attention trolled. You can bet she looked at Milo getting banned a while ago and considered how she should best twitter-martyr herself. That book will be out soon enough too.

Same with MTV "advice for white men" (or whatever it was called) video. That was just an attempt to go viral among a certain demographic. Then you'll have the alt-righters of YouTube phoning in some half-assed vlog about it and getting 500k views, which is enough to cover their rent. Everyone involved in the controversy is trying to get paid, except the overly-earnest, credulous teenagers (and particularly stupid adults) on either side of the debate: they're the ones clicking and subscribing.

I mean Silverman and Apatow, have they seen their own work? Apatow's contribution to any fight against Milo is all those films and tv shows he made that proved rape-culture exists. And Silverman, she says the difference is that she was playing a character, as if Milo isn't.