Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Milo Yiannopoulos Book Deal Row

Started by Claude Balls, January 05, 2017, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Cuellar on January 06, 2017, 01:38:04 PMI think a public outcry at the prospect of a book by Milo is a sign of a healthy society. As Slavoj Zizek has said, I don't want to have to live in a society that allows open debate about the rightness/wrongness of rape. There are surely certain things that you WANT the public to lash out at.

Though judging by Zizek's recent output, he would also disagree strongly with people trying to silence views like those Milo holds, especially since he himself holds some similar ones regarding the refugee crisis/Islam, political correctness etc.

Quote from: Cuellar on January 06, 2017, 01:38:04 PM
Well yeah, this much is clear. What happens when people DON'T openly oppose people like this spouting bullshit, however, is they get invited into debates in order to be 'open' and 'balanced', giving them exposure far greater than their unpleasant views deserve. Needless to say, it's the far-right who seem to be doing a whole fucksight better out of 'cultural relativism' than the SJWs they rail against. Far better for them to carry on bitching about a conspiracy of silence and there ACTUALLY BE AN EFFORT TO SILENCE THEM, than them to fucking groan on about it while being on Sky News and writing their bile for reputable publishers.

Okay, but you understand that simply "silencing" them doesn't make them go away.  Half or more of the country, if not multiple continents, seem to agree with their ideas on some things, and they agreed with them before Milo went peroxide.  And not all of these people are far-right maniacs - in fact, I'd wager that a significant number of them aren't.  The problem for them, I think, is equating someone like Milo and all his followers with far-right neo-Nazi white nationalists or whatever when really he isn't - either that or you have a very loose definition of those terms.[nb]Unless there's anything else he's said outside of the two three-hour Joe Rogan podcasts, his right-wing views aren't even particularly extreme and would previously have been aligned with classical liberalism for the most part.[/nb]

This doesn't solve anything, and both vindicates his positions and strengthens his own resolve among both his followers and people who maybe didn't care either way previously.  If there's one surefire way to create radicalisation among a group of people, it's to give them the idea that they're somehow oppressed - and whether they actually are or not, it's not hard to see how some recent efforts can give that impression.  It's fine to deny that and point to counterexamples, and I'd agree with that sentiment for the most part, but sadly that's simply not the way it's perceived by the people in question and this has to be acknowledged and understood.  This recent surge of "alt-right" sentiment didn't come from nowhere, it came from people becoming increasingly suspicious of attempts to suppress certain viewpoints - even ones they don't necessarily hold.  Whether they're right to think that or not is almost irrelevant when actually looking at the situation as it stands - it's here now, and I do think it could've been avoided.

It's also worth looking at it as a tide which is flowing one way at the moment, but used to flow another way.  It wasn't that long ago that there were public efforts to silence pro-communist sentiments in the US, or efforts to silence the publication of scientific or philosophical theory in more religious eras.  So aside from the ramifications of suppressing or not suppressing the kind of shite alt-righters are coming out with, it becomes important to separate yourself from the individual issue and look at it as a whole.  If you believe it is right to suppress the ideas of one group, you are ultimately a person who believes it is right to suppress ideas.  I'm someone who thinks it isn't, and that it's manifestly ineffective in the long-run.  In this case specifically, it's proven entirely counterintuitive - I wonder how many more people know Milo's name now as a result of this "furore"?

EDIT:  Oh Christ, not a new page for THIS.

Cuellar

I think we're talking at crossed purposes really. I don't think 'ideas' should be suppressed by some sort of state-diktat, threatening people with the gulag if they discuss them. I think there should be some sort of collective consensus about what is and what isn't socially acceptable. How you arrive at that is obviously incredibly difficult, and yes you would need some exposure to the unacceptable so it could be recognised as such.

I don't think the book should be 'banned' (of course that would give it a cache it doesn't deserve) - it should be rejected, by publisher and public.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Large Noise on January 06, 2017, 02:14:38 PMSame with MTV "advice for white men" (or whatever it was called) video. That was just an attempt to go viral among a certain demographic. Then you'll have the alt-righters of YouTube phoning in some half-assed vlog about it and getting 500k views, which is enough to cover their rent.

Milo actually did write a Breitbart article about that video (no, I'm not linking to it) which included some spoof MTV listings. One of them was for a new edition of Beavis and Butthead, and "that's allowed because the show that pokes fun at white men and they're acceptable targets" or something, and another was for a new edition of Daria in which she wears a burkha and has an arranged marriage, because "Daria was the original SJW and I fucking hated Jane Lane" or something. It was like a really shit bizarro version of TVGoHome in which nothing made sense and the jokes didn't even work, like something written by Richard Littlejohn using an alt-right fridge poetry kit- and surely Daria was more of a nihilist who didn't give a fuck about anything, and Lisa Simpson was always more of a whiny "SJW"? In any case it's all very weird- all these trolls feeding off each other in their weird symbiotic relationship.

Also he clearly doesn't get Daria, so fuck'im.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Cuellar on January 06, 2017, 02:35:38 PM
I think we're talking at crossed purposes really. I don't think 'ideas' should be suppressed by some sort of state-diktat, threatening people with the gulag if they discuss them. I think there should be some sort of collective consensus about what is and what isn't socially acceptable. How you arrive at that is obviously incredibly difficult, and yes you would need some exposure to the unacceptable so it could be recognised as such.

I don't think the book should be 'banned' (of course that would give it a cache it doesn't deserve) - it should be rejected, by publisher and public.

Rejection by public is as simple as not buying it, or actually reading it and then expressing your objections to the points it raises.  Lobbying a publisher to retract their deal for a book that hasn't even been released is another thing entirely, and ultimately is an attempt to "ban" by proxy.  I didn't agree with it when the Mary Whitehouse clan were doing it, and I don't agree with it when it's at the expense of an arsehole's book (a memoir!)

The other thing, which I mentioned somewhere in that ramble, is that he's not even particularly bad!  He's a provocateur, but hasn't really expressed anything worse than your garden-variety right-leaning pub bore.  Unless there's anything in the book that he hasn't made a point of in his previous public discourse, he can only be considered objectionable in his disdain of modern feminism, identity politics and immigration, but I wouldn't say those are positions which the public shouldn't be able to read if they choose.  It's not the same as giving him his own show on public television.

Anyway, you have books by Steven Crowder, Lauren Southern and all that lot coming out last year without a peep, despite almost certainly expressing views just as (if not more) extreme as those Milo is likely to include in his memoir.  Lauren's book was actually called "Barbarians: How Baby Boomers, Immigrants, and Islam Screwed My Generation" - she was really going for something with that title.  And yet, no fuss, and I'd wager nobody bought it who wasn't already a fan.  As such, the universe remained largely unaffected.  Meanwhile, I'm watching Milo literally gain support as all this unfolds - even in the LGBTQ Nation forums!

Isn't 'alt-right' just a fancy, politicised way of saying 'yuppies'? These people have been around for decades, it's nothing new. It's only surprising if you expect all right-wingers to be the bible-bashing yokel stereotype.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 06, 2017, 03:02:44 PM
Isn't 'alt-right' just a fancy, politicised way of saying 'yuppies'? These people have been around for decades, it's nothing new. It's only surprising if you expect all right-wingers to be the bible-bashing yokel stereotype.

It's still a pretty vague term, which seems to change depending on who's using it and for what purposes.  For instance, when Milo uses it he's referring to what are basically internet libertarians.  When the mainstream media or left-wingers use it, they're referring to actual white nationalist 4-chan types.  While I'm sure there's an overlap, perhaps a significant one, between the two groups, they're definitely distinct enough for such a catch-all term to not be particularly useful.

"Yuppies" ("young professionals") always had a completely different meaning, and no inherent political connotations.  In that regard, it's kind of the opposite of the alt-right, which is an attempt to define the politics and politics alone of a fairly economically and geographically diverse group of people of many ages and classes whose only real common thread is that they use the internet to spread their political views.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Large Noise on January 06, 2017, 02:14:38 PMLindy West

This is off-topic rambling, really:

Sheesh. I only know her from a couple of tweets shared on here, and that debate with Jim Norton where he defended the right to joke about certain things.

But I think it was Large Noise a while back who made this really interesting point about how a lot of "leftist" commentators spend much of their time moaning about how hard it is for them to have media careers, and I thought yeah, then went and looked at Laurie Penny's feed to see if I could back that up. There she was, moaning about how she couldn't write more fiction because Trump had got elected, or something. Grr, now she has to save us all, grr.

But I remember a short while ago being really miserable, in just a terrible mood, and I was on the Guardian site. I hate-clicked onto a Lindy West column, and she was once again claiming to be in floods of years because of a Disney film, and patriarchy. This seems to be a regular occurrence with Lindy West.

So I went and looked at her twitter, and stumbled across this comment that was so absurd it made me fucking piss myself laughing, and totally broke through the black, angry mood I was in. As she's evidently deleted her twitter account - and will reactivate it just before it permanently vanishes, like Stephen Fry - it's no longer online, but I took a screenshot. She was reminiscing about her time spent on bulletin boards and stuff, in the early days of the net, then ended with this as a closer:

"sometimes I forget how much time I spent on the young-ish web; it's like the insistence that tech is for boys talked me out of my own past"
7 retweets, 74 likes.

I fucking laughed and laughed.

Blue Jam

Who the fuck is Lindy West?

Spoiler alert
No, this isn't [banned member] posting here.
[close]

Large Noise

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2017, 02:51:12 PM
"Daria was the original SJW and I fucking hated Jane Lane" or something. It was like a really shit bizarro version of TVGoHome in which nothing made sense and the jokes didn't even work, like something written by Richard Littlejohn using an alt-right fridge poetry kit- and surely Daria was more of a nihilist who didn't give a fuck about anything, and Lisa Simpson was always more of a whiny "SJW"? In any case it's all very weird- all these trolls feeding off each other in their weird symbiotic relationship.

Also he clearly doesn't get Daria, so fuck'im.
A generation of Daria's is Milo's worst nightmare. Ironic detachment and apathy cut through try-hard hacks like Milo far more easily than impassioned debate and appeals to civility. Milo tries so hard to make reactionary politics not-boring, a good fucking eye-roll is like a knife in his heart.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 06, 2017, 03:14:15 PM
"Yuppies" ("young professionals") always had a completely different meaning, and no inherent political connotations.  In that regard, it's kind of the opposite of the alt-right, which is an attempt to define the politics and politics alone of a fairly economically and geographically diverse group of people of many ages and classes whose only real common thread is that they use the internet to spread their political views.

Well, I would say that it does have inherent political and social connotations, which are very similiar to the alt-right. They are are far from being opposites. When I hear 'yuppie' or 'alt-right', this is what springs to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY3yzLA-g24

Barry Admin

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2017, 03:23:09 PM
Who the fuck is Lindy West?

Spoiler alert
No, this isn't [banned member] posting here.
[close]

Highly obnoxious Internet SJW, blames the patriarchy on everything, even her own memory loss, a comic who says you shouldn't joke about certain things, attention seeker and full-on Millie Tant type. The sort of person who has made the left into a joke using their twitter accounts.

Makes "#allmen" style comments, then gets furious when men tweet her to say "#notallmen." Grievance collector and all-round bad egg.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 06, 2017, 03:24:02 PM
Well, I would say that it does have inherent political and social connotations, which are very similiar to the alt-right. They are are far from being opposites. When I hear 'yuppie' or 'alt-right', this is what springs to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY3yzLA-g24

But alt-righters aren't necessarily rich (in fact, it'd appear a lot of them aren't), a good deal of them are in their 30s and 40s and I'd imagine many of them are unemployed just going by the amount of time they have to spend online.  That alone precludes them from the very definition of "yuppie".  Also, yuppies today (i.e. young professionals in the city) would tend to be multicultural, metropolitan types.  The same probably couldn't be said of most alt-righters.

I mean, you can define them however you want, but I think most people would be confused if you conflated the two terms.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Large Noise on January 06, 2017, 03:23:15 PM
A generation of Daria's is Milo's worst nightmare. Ironic detachment and apathy cut through try-hard hacks like Milo far more easily than impassioned debate and appeals to civility. Milo tries so hard to make reactionary politics not-boring, a good fucking eye-roll is like a knife in his heart.

Exactly. The best thing you can do about Milo, or Hopkins or whatever is ignore them.

And if you know anyone who's a TV or radio producer, get them to promise not to put them on air.

And if you know anyone who's a lefty media commentator, get them to promise not to fucking write about them and burnish their brand.

If Milo becomes "hate filled idiot shouting into the void" he'll disappear.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 06, 2017, 03:38:20 PM
I mean, you can define them however you want, but I think most people would be confused if you conflated the two terms.

No one would be confused. They would know exactly what I meant.

Let's face it: you only replied because you knew there was an element of truth to it.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 06, 2017, 01:07:24 PM
I think everyone understands this.  "Censorship" isn't technically the right term to use, but there is something to be said for publishers (whether it be books, film, TV, whatever) refusing to put something out there because they fear a backlash from certain portions of the public.  This ultimately has a similar effect to what censorship from a government body would - not in any one individual case, but as a trend.  The kind of person who would lobby against an organisation publishing something they don't agree with[nb]in this case, a book which doesn't yet even exist[/nb] is not someone I think I'd see eye to eye with on issues surrounding free public discourse.

Moreover, and it's a point I've made countless times regarding Milo and his followers; the more you do stuff like this or banning him from Twitter or successfully preventing him from talking at your university, the more he and his followers feel vindicated in their assertion that there's a conspiracy to silence them, and the more people who wouldn't previously have given him much thought become aware of him.  I'm astonished those who are so vehemently against him don't appear to understand his most basic mode of operation.

Naaah, Simon and Schuster publishing him is for naked greed, nowt to do with free speech. If they didn't publish his tat he'd have to go to a smaller publishing house, and receive a far smaller advance. This publishing juggernaut happened because of the success of Ann Coulter's and Sean Hannity's books, and putting those out only degraded the culture, it didn't serve to delegitimise their ideas, rather it brought them into the mainstream. A big, respectable publishing firm like S&S  (or RandomHouse, etc) should be fucking pilloried and scorned for this. Let these fascist cunts go cap in hand to some makeshift firm that won't have a marketing budget. Defending free speech means defending the ethical and social content of what you sponser too, and publishing MY is irresponsible, cynical and craven.

imitationleather

I went to see my supervisor today and he said he was off booze for the time being as he'd had a bit of a funny turn during Christmas where he'd convinced himself he was responsible for the rise of the alt-right and Trump being elected. It all stemmed from the '90s when, while at Warwick, he'd given Nick Land, the dude who I understand is something of the Godfather of the movement, his first big break in getting published. He seemed to see it as a real "Damn I missed the opportunity to kill Hitler while he was still a nobody doing shit watercolours in Vienna" situation. I was like "lol stop crying u cuck".

Funcrusher

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 06, 2017, 03:28:40 PM
Highly obnoxious Internet SJW, blames the patriarchy on everything, even her own memory loss, a comic who says you shouldn't joke about certain things, attention seeker and full-on Millie Tant type. The sort of person who has made the left into a joke using their twitter accounts.

Makes "#allmen" style comments, then gets furious when men tweet her to say "#notallmen." Grievance collector and all-round bad egg.

Also a regular Guardian contributor.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 06, 2017, 04:12:14 PM

Naaah, Simon and Schuster publishing him is for naked greed, nowt to do with free speech. If they didn't publish his tat he'd have to go to a smaller publishing house, and receive a far smaller advance. This publishing juggernaut happened because of the success of Ann Coulter's and Sean Hannity's books, and putting those out only degraded the culture, it didn't serve to delegitimise their ideas, rather it brought them into the mainstream. A big, respectable publishing firm like S&S  (or RandomHouse, etc) should be fucking pilloried and scorned for this. Let these fascist cunts go cap in hand to some makeshift firm that won't have a marketing budget. Defending free speech means defending the ethical and social content of what you sponser too, and publishing MY is irresponsible, cynical and craven.

Yes, we won't see eye to eye on this.

Paul Calf

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on January 06, 2017, 03:39:36 PM
Exactly. The best thing you can do about Milo, or Hopkins or whatever is ignore them.

I am, and it's not working. What now?

Howj Begg

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Large Noise on January 06, 2017, 03:23:15 PM
Daria had strong left beliefs but apathetic that she could change things. When she did get nto confrontations, she left the situation until her mother (usually) convinced her to compromise on her principles.

Apart from sharing the same ideals the total opposite of a  SJW.

I've seen some of his lectures it seems he's just giving the people what they want. Alt-right validation and the ability to laugh at/with a camp gay without 'PC' and the left someone to hate in person. He's all style.

Barry Admin

People are way too Mary Whitehouse these days, it's actually shocking. Remember that? Remember when that old bat and her minions decided what was unsuitable for you to see? Remember how fucking annoying it was?

Let him publish his book. It's hardly going to be a new volume of Mein Kampf. What is the problem exactly?

Howj Begg

He's not doing the publishing, Simon & Schuster is. So let the people who believe a white supremacist should not have the imprimateur of a mainstream publishing house protest the decision. Actions have consequences, right? People should be allowed to boycott whomever they want, and express their displeaure at that. Free speech, right?

I think this article by the editor of the CRB sums it all up:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/04/simon-schuster-alt-right-hate-breitbart-milo-yiannopoulos

QuoteLast week, the literary world gasped when one of the largest publishers in the United States, Simon & Schuster, rewarded America's most infamous internet troll, Milo Yiannopoulos, with a $250,000 book deal. But we probably should have seen it coming. After all, 2016 taught us that ridiculing women, people of colour, Muslims and members of the LGBTQ community can make someone immensely popular.

Leslie Jones accuses Simon & Schuster over Milo Yiannopoulos book deal
Read more
For Simon & Schuster, it can also be immensely profitable. During Yiannopoulos's tenure at Breitbart – where he's told gay people to "get back in the closet" and women to "log off" the internet – he has amassed more than 1 million followers on Facebook. Threshold Editions, the Simon & Schuster imprint dedicated to "innovative ideas of contemporary conservatism", has a hit on its hands.

But Yiannapoulos is not a conservative intellectual leader with a political agenda. He's a clickbait grifter who has made a name for himself spewing hate speech. As the editor-in-chief of a small literary review, I wanted Simon & Schuster to know that broadcasting his rhetoric would have real-world consequences. So I made a decision that has nothing to do with political ideology and everything to do with human rights and decency: the Chicago Review of Books will not cover a single Simon & Schuster book in 2017.

According to thousands of Twitter and Facebook users, our stance is equivalent to censorship, fascism and book-burning. By choosing not to review Simon & Schuster books for a year, they claim we're contradicting both the first amendment and our own mission to cover "diverse voices". In response, they've photoshopped my head onto a Nazi soldier, posted my photo with the caption "WARNING! This man was just accused of molesting young children!" and expressed their hope that the next wave of Chicago shootings might "take out" some of our editors.

But we aren't infringing upon Yiannopoulos's or Simon & Schuster's free speech. Yiannopoulos has the constitutional right to say whatever he wants. He can call Leslie Jones a "black dude" who is "barely literate". He can call Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon "fat" and "ugly". He can call transgender people "mentally ill" and "retarded," and mock a transgender student during a speech at her own school.

And of course, Simon & Schuster has every right to increase Yiannopoulos's platform by publishing his book. However, free speech doesn't protect anyone from repercussions in a free market. The literary community – and society at large – has the freedom to respond in kind. That's why the UK division of Simon & Schuster has decided not to publish Yiannopoulos's book. It's why some professionals, such as author Danielle Henderson and audiobook producer Emmett Plant, are reconsidering their relationships with the publisher.

Some writers, editors and publicists have pointed out that our decision isn't fair to hundreds of other Simon & Schuster authors who had nothing to do with the publisher's decision to sign Yiannopoulos. I agree. It's unfair. Simon & Schuster will publish some wonderful books in 2017 through imprints I admire, such as 37 Ink, Salaam Reads and Touchstone. But I strongly believe the literary community must hold the publisher accountable.

Why? Because rhetoric like his – which targets racial, religious and cultural minorities – invites discrimination. It arguably encourages people such as Omar Mateen and Dylann Roof to think of entire groups of people as less than human. And in his 2012 book The Harm in Hate Speech, legal philosopher Jeremy Waldron writes that hate speech sends a clear message to its victims: "Don't be fooled into thinking you are welcome here."

In a statement, Simon & Schuster assured readers they "do not and never have condoned discrimination or hate speech in any form". But how is handing a purveyor of hate speech a $250,000 megaphone not condoning his rhetoric? And as an editor and book critic, how is giving Simon & Schuster free publicity not condoning their decision?

After the Chicago Review of Books attracted so much attention for our stance, and writers more talented than me asked us to reconsider, I lost sleep. But on Saturday, when the biographer of a lesbian artist criticised Simon & Schuster, Yiannopoulos responded: "There is only one place for lesbians: porn."

I remain convinced that to protect the victims of discrimination from its traumatic and sometimes deadly consequences, the literary community must stand against anyone – author or publisher – who peddles hate speech for profit

Also, you can call disgust and anger at hatespeech receiving a public platform 'Mary Whitehouse', but I see the unbridled encouragement of free speech as some kind of hipsterish, childish, free speech without responsibility bullshit - the kind of shit Vice and Nathan Barley engage in, and pretty easy for people with privilege to shruggingly assent to, tbh. Also it's demonstrably not true that people are too Mary Whitehouse these days - check out the internet for one. Lots of people seem pretty happy with the airing of disturbing right wing ideas and insults. You might have noticed the PEOTUS is one of them.

Noodle Lizard

Is that article seriously (yet tacitly) implying people like Milo could've influenced a Muslim going on a killing spree in a gay nightclub?  That is quite astonishing.  It's amazing how seemingly eager his opponents are to prove him right about them, and that's how he'll get supporters.

As for the content of his speech, it's honestly not that far-removed from what countless respected centrist or right-leaning authors or academics have already put out there, and hardly "white supremacist" unless you really want to trivialise the term.  His views on race relations and feminism have been talking points for Thomas Sowell, Christina Hoff Somers and Camille Paglia for decades, his gripes with transgenderism are supported by a not-insignificant proportion of the scientific community, his gripes with immigration and multiculturalism are the same ones being posited by Slavoj Zizek[nb]NOTE: I'm not saying this means he's right about any of those things, but that his opinions aren't exceptionally outlandish[/nb].  The only difference (apart from being shitter and more childish) is that he operates largely with a focus on the internet, which means a lot of his opponents are active on the internet and are well-practiced in getting people "shut down".

So yes, like they support the freedom of S&S to publish his book whilst doing all they can to stop them from doing so, I support their freedom to react in such a way whilst urging them to reconsider as it will (and in some ways already has) backfire horribly.  Like these things always do.  It's as if people think this recent surge in opposition to liberalism has come out of nowhere instead of considering their own accountability.  What really allows people like Milo to exist aren't publishers, they're people for him to react against, and look at the sheer volume of ammunition he and his acolytes have been given in the first week of 2017 alone.

Claude Balls

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 07, 2017, 03:19:26 AM
People are way too Mary Whitehouse these days, it's actually shocking. Remember that? Remember when that old bat and her minions decided what was unsuitable for you to see? Remember how fucking annoying it was?

Let him publish his book. It's hardly going to be a new volume of Mein Kampf. What is the problem exactly?

The Snowflake Generation have strong totalitarian tendencies.

jobotic

Anymore more of that talk Comrade Ballbag, and it's off to the gulag with you. You brave, brave dissident.

Barry Admin

He hasn't even written the book. It doesn't currently exist. It is a hypothetical, nonexistent book.

Quote from: Claude Balls on January 07, 2017, 11:35:52 AM
The Snowflake Generation have strong totalitarian tendencies.

The Snowflake Generation essentially reflects that the loudest voices are the ones who complain the most.

I think Milo is popular because of his 'infamy', in a way this actually transcends any generation. Essentially being banned on Twitter is the noughties pop culture equivalent to the Sex Pistols swearing on live TV in the seventies. The more controversial you are and the more viral hype around you, the more you are listened to. Book deals also get handed out to popular people, regardless on their ability to contribute anything to the world of literature, see also any YouTuber whose got a book deal in the last few years.

Large Noise

The Chicago Review of Books boycott is fair enough, but once again it's a case of someone opposed to Milo using this for free publicity. Boycott him if you like, but don't write a fucking article in The Guardian about it.