Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gears of War 4

Started by Blue Jam, January 08, 2017, 12:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Anyone else playing this? I suppose it had an unfortunate release date and may have been lost among Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and that new Call of Duty, but it comes with some Xbox One bundles so I imagine a few people here must have given it a go.

I've just finished the GoW4 campaign on Normal difficulty (it was my first shooter, alright) and while I've since started the Titanfall 2 campaign and now think that blows Gears out of the water, I still enjoyed the GoW4 campaign immensely. It's bit dumb at times but in an enjoyable way, especially the final battle
Spoiler alert
where you climb into a mech, pick up the downed helicopter and use the spinning rotor blades to cut the final boss's limbs off
[close]
. It's linear but not too predictable and I did enjoy trying out different strategies to win the battles- I liked seeing how long I could last on a turret before having to run for cover, also downing a Scion with a few headshots and then running in and grabbing the Mulcher it dropped, or grabbing a Buzzkill, a fun weapon to use if surprisingly ineffective for
Spoiler alert
a gun which shoots spinning buzzsaw blades
[close]
. I found the Snatchers a real pain in the arse and kept wishing they'd just fuck off but that made it all the more satisfying when they were eventually downed. Also John "Bender" DiMaggio as the voice of Marcus Fenix is a delight to hear.

Got to give Horde Mode a try next- I know there are a few fans here and it sounds ace. Not sure I'm ready to play online yet- I understand that the Gears series isn't one of the easiest for a n00b as there are players who have been playing the games for a decade.

I understand that the Xbox One is backwards-compatible with all of the Xbox 360 Gears titles- are there any I should pick up?

madhair60

All the Xbox 360 Gears titles are various flavours of excellent. The original Gears looks like shit now, 3 and Judgment still look impressive. I haven't been back to 2 lately so can't comment. I recall 2 being the weakest one, but that makes it an 8/10 instead of 9.

Is it just Gears of War you like or that type of game in general? Cause if it's the latter you could do worse than trying SEGA's overlooked Binary Domain.

Then get Vanquish for an ultra high speed version of the same idea, my idea of what the best game ever would look like...love Vanquish.

You should also try and get hold of a game called Kill Switch for the PS2/OGxbox gen..it's the genesis of Gears.

Pdine

Definitely the best overtly homoerotic cover shooters there are.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 08, 2017, 08:10:26 PM
All the Xbox 360 Gears titles are various flavours of excellent. The original Gears looks like shit now

You must have ridiculously high standards.

How is it suddenly shit now? By 'shit' do you mean 'a bit old looking'?

Cause that's not on man.

madhair60

Quote from: captaincockring on January 09, 2017, 08:56:29 AM
You must have ridiculously high standards.

How is it suddenly shit now? By 'shit' do you mean 'a bit old looking'?

Cause that's not on man.

That's fair - my standards are quite low, honestly, but basically the IQ is very weak compared to the pin-sharp Gears 3 or many later 360 titles. Obviously that makes total sense and "shit" was a bit over the top.

But yeah of the Gears games it's naturally the most dated. Still fun to play (I'm replaying it at the moment actually), just a bit low-res and colourless.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pdine on January 09, 2017, 06:48:33 AM
Definitely the best overtly homoerotic cover shooters there are.

Hahahaha... the male Gears do look more than a bit Tom Of Finland don't they? Also because it's a TPS you get to crawl around and get a good view of their arses- would an FPS version be as popular?

I liked the bit in the abandoned hospital where
Spoiler alert
Kait gets creeped out by the maternity ward, with its propaganda posters with pictures of smiling women holding babies and slogans like "FIND YOUR PURPOSE", when her uncle says she has a problem with babies, and she snarls back "No, I just have a problem with people thinking I need to have one"
[close]
. There's also the
Spoiler alert
post-credits scene where it emerges that Kait's uncle was taken by a Snatcher and instead of rescuing him they just let it take the annoying sexist pisshead
[close]
. Those bits definitely seem to have been written and designed by feminists... but I doubt that the tattooed steroidal male Gears were designed as eye candy for the lady gamers.

I missed this collectible- it looks like it's straight out of Scarfolk:

http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/on8hAKFwzCA2F5jHfg83h8-650-80.jpg

biggytitbo

I have noticed on a lot of these new games that 90% of the GPU power appears to be used rendering the complex physics of realistic arse cheeks.