Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:48:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Superstore (Another US Sitcom, quite good, nothing amazing etc)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 11, 2017, 12:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

So why am I starting a thread about given the title? I don't know, except that I'm oddly fond of this show despite it being what you'd mostly expect from a network comedy, albeit one of the better ones. The first season is a bit slow and patchy too which doesn't help, but I've been really enjoying the second. Part of the appeal is the cast, with Kids In The Hall's Mark McKinney playing the store manager, but all of the quite large ensemble offer a lot, whilst the lead will they won't they couple (Ugly Betty's America Ferrera and a tiny clone of a young Scott Baio) are surprisingly not annoying.

There's the odd unusual episode too, like one where the guy who stars in all the store adverts and promotional material turns out to be a serial killer who's murdered (and eaten) fourteen people, which contains some quirky and occasionally twisted funny moments. Sure, it does get a bit soapy at times (
Spoiler alert
Glenn gets fired and so the staff go on strike in a two parter
[close]
) but it's never far away from a decent joke.

So yeah, it's not for everyone but if you're in the mood for a lightweight but enjoyable show on occasion you could do much much worse than this.

remedial_gash

I trust your opinion cause I think you recommended crazy ex-girlfriend, which I am loving, but did you also mention a new show with Kaitlyn Olson?

Sorry if it wasn't you. x

Moribunderast

Thanks for starting this thread, SMBH. I'd considered giving this show a go as the AV Club have talked it up a bit recently but this thread caused me to finally check it out. Really enjoyed the pilot. Introduced a decent group of characters and had more laughs than the average US sitcom. Definitely a bit sappy but that's fine as long as the jokes hit. Kinda reminds me of Happy Endings in that I doubt it'll ever have me in raptures of laughter but it feels very cosy and amiable. It'll be good hangover viewing, basically. Which I need having recently finished rewatching the aforementioned Happy Endings over a period of Sunday mornings.

mook

Quote from: remedial_gash on January 11, 2017, 01:15:37 AM
I trust your opinion cause I think you recommended crazy ex-girlfriend, which I am loving, but did you also mention a new show with Kaitlyn Olson?

Sorry if it wasn't you. x

nope, that was me. i have amazing taste in comedy, unlike SMBH who will have you watching utter bumgravy like angie tribeca if you ain't careful.

remedial_gash

Quote from: mook on January 11, 2017, 05:40:40 AM
nope, that was me. i have amazing taste in comedy, unlike SMBH who will have you watching utter bumgravy like angie tribeca if you ain't careful.

hahahahaha you cunt. xxx

Robot DeNiro

I enjoy this show too, though I agree it's rarely better than quite good.  It relies heavily on the charm of its cast, but fortunately they are all very likeable.  I'm a sucker for a workplace sitcom, and although not up there with the best of them (Cheers, The US Office, Parks and Rec) Superstore does have that cosy feeling and an ensemble of characters you're happy to spend half an hour with.

The Kaitlyn Olson show is The Mick.  I've seen the first two episodes and will definitely stick with it.  So far it seems to have more laughs than Superstore, but less charm.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mook on January 11, 2017, 05:40:40 AM

Hey, Angie Tribeca started well! Sure it went all wrong during the second season and I doubt I'll be watching it any more, but those first few episodes were fun, so shut it you!

Oddly Crazy Ex-Girlfriend should be my favourite show as I've a love of musicals, but I've only watched the pilot and half the second episode and found it a bit annoying. I've obtained it all though and am planning to give it a second shot, and I'm hoping it'll grow on me quickly.

Glad everyone else who's posted is enjoying Superstore though, as Mr DeNiro says it's not up there with Cheers, The US Office or Parks & Recs, it's a little bit too cartoon-y for that, but you never know, over time it might develop further and at least come close to being as good as they were.

steveh

I'd assumed it was a US remake of Sky's Trollied but there doesn't seem to be any connection.

olliebean

Quote from: steveh on January 12, 2017, 08:28:12 AM
I'd assumed it was a US remake of Sky's Trollied but there doesn't seem to be any connection.

I'd still assume it's inspired by it, at least to some extent. The pharmacist character in particular seems like a direct copy.

Moribunderast

Since yesterday I've watched ten episodes of this and am really enjoying it. Mateo is good laughs.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: steveh on January 12, 2017, 08:28:12 AM

Is Trollied any good? I know there's been about six seasons of it but I've never been arsed to check it out.

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 12, 2017, 08:51:01 AM
Since yesterday I've watched ten episodes of this and am really enjoying it. Mateo is good laughs.

It's incredibly easy to binge watch, isn't it? I'm now up to date despite only starting the series at the beginning of the year, it's just such a pleasant show and there aren't any characters I dislike. Though they need to tone down Dina a little bit, in recent episodes she's become a bit too irritating.

neveragain

Trollied has got better and better, to the point where I think -perhaps sadly, for reasons I'll get to in two sentences - it's my favourite homegrown sitcom at the moment. To my mind it's on a par with Drop The Dead Donkey (or insert something you quite liked but wasn't always great). There just aren't that many shows at the same level, with a bright breezy manner and characters you're happy to see each week. Plus plenty of good lines.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: neveragain on January 12, 2017, 10:56:34 PM
Trollied has got better and better, to the point where I think -perhaps sadly, for reasons I'll get to in two sentences - it's my favourite homegrown sitcom at the moment. To my mind it's on a par with Drop The Dead Donkey (or insert something you quite liked but wasn't always great). There just aren't that many shows at the same level, with a bright breezy manner and characters you're happy to see each week. Plus plenty of good lines.

Ah, thanks for that, will have to give it a shot. Sky have quietly put out some great comedy over recent years and I should check more of it out.

Small Man Big Horse

I was really impressed with the season finale for this, the show dipped a little in the middle of the season but really picked up again towards the end, and as well as having some great jokes they pulled off visualisation of the tornado surprisingly effective, I really thought there was the possibility that someone might die, if it hadn't been renewed it would have been a slightly bleak way to go out. I hope there are repercussions to events as well, especially Glenn sampling Islam, but I imagine they may well just skip that particular potential plot line.