Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

This Friday (January 13th) at 4am (UK time) Nintendo are holding their big Switch presentation, fully unveiling their new handheld/home console. Thought I might as well start a new thread for it now that we have the official name.

You can watch it live here, apparently:  http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

Can't imagine many Brits will watch the presentation live, at that hour of the night, though.

Old thread, for when it was called NX:  http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,52902.0.html

imitationleather

Despite not playing games for years and years until I bought a 3DS last month I am quite excited to see what this thing is like and might even consider getting one later in the year.

It's at least got to be better than the dull as fuck other two consoles out at the mo. Right?

brat-sampson

5am here in Euroland, I wont lie, I'm tempted... I love a good presser and Nintendo haven't even thrown one for years.

Shay Chaise

Absolutely psyched for this. Day one all day every day. I'll be watching it live. It'll be the first console I've ever bought day one and actually the only one whose launch and development I've followed.

Bearing in mind I can already have a shit and play Mario Kart 8 or a bath with Xenoblade Chronicles, this is a completely unnecessary product but I just can't wait.

Bhazor

Platinum confirming Bayonetta 3 and sequels to other franchises as Nintendo exclusive would basically sell me the console. At 250 quid its not even much of a gamble.

If Nintendo finally gets functional internet capabilities this could totally dominate the generation. Imagine if it could legitimately replace smartphones? Imagine nokia or Samsung selling joycons with built in sim cards and blue tooth headsets.

At the very least its already doing better than WiiU ever did. A console no one understood and no one wanted.

Quote from: Bhazor on January 11, 2017, 07:44:45 PM
Platinum confirming Bayonetta 3 and sequels to other franchises as Nintendo exclusive would basically sell me the console. At 250 quid its not even much of a gamble.

If Nintendo finally gets functional internet capabilities this could totally dominate the generation. Imagine if it could legitimately replace smartphones? Imagine nokia or Samsung selling joycons with built in sim cards and blue tooth headsets.

At the very least its already doing better than WiiU ever did. A console no one understood and no one wanted.

Stop calling for Platinum to make sequels...Bayonetta 2 was already a bridge too far.

I'd rather they made original titles thank you very much.

Kelvin

Don't Platinum have a pretty bad record recently?

Starfox was disappointing on a number of levels; that Turtles game they made is meant to be rubbish; Scalebound just got cancelled. Other than Bayonetta, what have they made that really impressed?

Kelvin

On a separate note, I'm extremely hyped for the big event tmw and the launch in March, although I'm worried that a) all the interesting stuff has already leaked or been shown, and b) most of the games in year one are going to be ports of wii U games. It's already rumoured we have ports of Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash Bros and Xenoblade X. Not only does that mean a lack of new games in the first year, it also means we're unlikely to get proper follow ups to several of those games in the Switch's lifetime.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't know. It sounds like a cool idea, but gets less so the more I think about it. I mean is there more to it, or is it really just a handheld that you can plug into the telly?

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 11, 2017, 10:31:10 PM
I don't know. It sounds like a cool idea, but gets less so the more I think about it. I mean is there more to it, or is it really just a handheld that you can plug into the telly?

Surely fans of Nintendo could just place their mits on one of these?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was going to mention that, but then I couldn't be bothered.

Ham Bap

These are going on sale on Friday morning, expected to be a shortage at release. If you could be bothered and wanted to make easy money you could pre-order one then sell it for double in March.
Alas, I can never be bothered with that kind of thing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ham Bap on January 11, 2017, 11:55:25 PM
These are going on sale on Friday morning, expected to be a shortage at release. If you could be bothered and wanted to make easy money you could pre-order one then sell it for double in March.
Alas, I can never be bothered with that kind of thing.

What's this trend in 2017 of nobody being bothered with stuff?

Hipsters.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Kelvin on January 11, 2017, 10:10:08 PM

Starfox was disappointing on a number of levels; that Turtles game they made is meant to be rubbish; Scalebound just got cancelled. Other than Bayonetta, what have they made that really impressed?

Turtles was bad, Legend of Kora was so-so but other than those, Platinum's track record has been strong.

Nintendo was the lead developer for Star Fox and it's not fair to single out Platinum for that one. Turtles (and IIRC, Kora) was published by Activision, which has a deserved reputation for churning out awful licensed games and the publisher has to take some responsibility. However, Transformers Devastation bucked that trend - that's an awesome game and a pretty recent one... and pure Platinum.

Microsoft has a record for cancelling projects - lest we forget it cancelled Stormlands, which nearly destroyed Obsidian and not because it was bad or broken in anyway. Scalebound has been trapped in development hell but we can't assume that's entirely due to Platinum.

Kelvin

IGN claim that the time of the UK broadcast is 3.30am, not 4am, so don't tune in late, if you are staying up.

Friday, January 13 @ 3:30 a.m. UK

There's also a Treehouse Live (where Nintendo's team play and discuss the upcoming games) at 2pm Friday afternoon (UK), presumably at the New York press event.

Friday, January 13 @ 2:30 p.m. UK

Quote from: Kelvin on January 11, 2017, 10:10:08 PM

Transformers Devastation was a good solid game, nothing wrong with it.

They do seem to be going through a 'populist' phase, I'm just bitter cause they never made Vanquish II, that's a game that deserved building on.

brat-sampson

Their only 'bad' games were Turtles and Korra, which weren't dumpster fires, just disappointing, and also both smaller scale games made by less prestigious teams. Also maybe Starfox, but that seems more divisive than rubs, and that more due to Miyamoto's wacky control system than Platinum's game design.

Counterpoint Nier: Automata looks fantastic and Scalebound looked at least ambitious before Microsoft pulled the plug. Might've been weird for a game where you can essentially flip controls between a spectacle fighter and a fricking Dragon, but after W101, I'd trust Kamiya with any idea he cared to follow.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: captaincockring on January 12, 2017, 02:37:27 AM
Transformers Devastation was a good solid game, nothing wrong with it.

They do seem to be going through a 'populist' phase, I'm just bitter cause they never made Vanquish II, that's a game that deserved building on.

Sega owns the IP to Vanquish, so that's really on them.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 12, 2017, 09:22:36 AM
Sega owns the IP to Vanquish, so that's really on them.

Yes, you're right aren't you.

Oh well we might have to wait fifteen years on a kickstarter...nah let it go, not happening...:(

Ignatius_S

Quote from: captaincockring on January 12, 2017, 09:25:25 AM
Yes, you're right aren't you.

Oh well we might have to wait fifteen years on a kickstarter...nah let it go, not happening...:(

Alternatively, someone could do a Nintendo but fear that's equally unlikely!

It's a real shame as it was a game that really deserved a follow-up... I know where you're coming from!

Bhazor

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 11, 2017, 10:31:10 PM

Don't think of it as a portable you can play on the telly. Think of it as a high end PS3 you can play on your lunch break or toilet time.

Shay Chaise

I literally can't wait for this. Gonna get pissed and go to sleep in five minutes so it'll be here sooner.

Replies From View

You don't need a Nintendo Switch if you already own another console.  You can just keep using the older one.

Old Nehamkin

Probably setting my hopes a bit high, but if I wake up tomorrow to a trailer for a big new Mario game that looks as beautiful, inventive and exciting as Galaxy was, I'll be a very happy lad.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Replies From View on January 12, 2017, 07:46:33 PM
You don't need a Nintendo Switch if you already own another console.  You can just keep using the older one.

Fuck that. I want to play the remaster of Wii U Mario Kart 8 on the Switch because the Wii U signal doesn't consistently reach the downstairs bog.

Bhazor

The Switch may not have a funny name. But I will call plugging the Joycons in DPing.

"Home, time to DP the bitch."

Beagle 2

I'm going to have to get one I think. I love my PS4 but the practicalities of my life mean I'm just not able to shut myself away and play it enough. Stealing moments on a handheld just works so much better. Any chance of Rocket League I wonder? They'd clean up on a Nintendo machine.

Thursday

I'll be getting it because the adverts have all shown it's for COOL people, like me, not children and nerds like the Wii U.

Bhazor

Speaking of the adverts, I will say they're definitely smart aiming for an older audience. I've heard alot of people say the same as Beagle 2 about how they don't have the opportunity to take over the lounge anymore and have to go play games in a closet like a leper. How the Switch is an option they never knew they wanted until they saw it.

It really feels like Nintendo are bypassing the entire console war shite and hitting for a new market. A market of Dad's who want to play Zelda. Of course Dad's who play Zelda most probably have children who will want to play Zelda too. Nintendo is essentially the only company who still focus on family friendly childrens games anymore. Even my cynical heart finds the idea of parents and children playing together on a couch crowding around a little tablet screen with tiny little joycons adorable.

Twed

Just to echo at the bottom of the thread, the live stream will be here: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

43 minutes from now.