Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Van Cleef

So looks like gamester are honouring their pre-order price.

Wow. I thought it'd be refunds ahoy.

Kelvin

Basic UI from the Japanese Nintendo website.

Also, pro-controller will be £64 apparently.

Kelvin

Another bit of bad news (sadly), is that it looks like voice chat and messaging friends will all be done through a phone app (yes, even the voice chat), rather than through the console itself.

Junglist

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 02:46:21 PM
Another bit of bad news (sadly), is that it looks like voice chat and messaging friends will all be done through a phone app (yes, even the voice chat), rather than through the console itself.

Yup, and it won't even be ready at launch. Online won't even work in Europe:

"The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch."

Online lobby and voice chat
Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

But you get one free NES/SNES game a month to loan.

Shay Chaise

"Imagine if they'd released it in November with Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, MK, XB2 and all the rest of this year's stuff. It would have been the greatest launch line-up ever."

Twed

I just noticed a sign in the Super Mario Odyssey footage. The New York place is called "New Donk City".

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on January 13, 2017, 03:12:35 PM
I just noticed a sign in the Super Mario Odyssey footage. The New York place is called "New Donk City".

All the streets and shops are named after Donkey Kong Country characters. Dixie, Diddy, K.Rool, Expresso, Rambi, Cranky. And you can see the classic Donkey Kong construction site as part of the level.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 03:16:32 PM
All the streets and shops are named after Donkey Kong Country characters. Dixie, Diddy, K.Rool, Expresso, Rambi, Cranky. And you can see the classic Donkey Kong construction site as part of the level.
Aye.

This video does make me feel positive about it. It looks like a blast to me, despite my initial reservations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqE6ctMZigE

Kelvin

Sorry to keep posting, but there's a lot of info coming out.

Console comes with the two joy-cons, a single joy-grip controller, and two of the little grips with bigger L and R triggers.

Journalists video of the joygrip controller makes it look more comfortable than previous images, and it actually clicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2Y0qEvLGg

EDIT: I actually really, really like the look of the handheld. The console/handheld versatility should definitely have been the focus over HD rumble and motion control.

Kelvin

They're doing Treehouse Live at the mo, with gameplay etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI

Bhazor

God you're a miserable bunch of cunts.

My only letdown is paid online. Which you can blame entirely on Microsoft for setting the shit show trend. At least by making it a pay service they're incentivised to actually make it functional and keep updating and improving it. Every game I saw looked fantastic, especially ARMS which is for all intents and purposes Punch Out: Platinum edition.

I do think its wierd people insist Nintendo should be doing a high end 4k Scorpio beating console. I mean you know that will kill Nintendo right? The only reason the Xbox is still kicking is that its got Microsoft's bank roll. Sony is beating the Xbox 2:1 and you want Nintendo to jump in as third runnerup behind their own handheld? Hell, Sony is barely breaking even while dominating the competition. This isn't the 16 bit era where you could come in second and still make 9 figure profits.

imitationleather

I just watched the Odyssey clip. Hmm... Not too sure about that New York level, but I assume it'll only be a minor part of the game. Definitely didn't give me the "FUCKING HELL! I MUST PLAY THIS!" reaction I had when I first saw Galaxy, but I am an old man who has seen it all now. I have pretty much total confidence in Nintendo to make superb games out of every iteration of their main franchises, so I'm sure it'll be very good anyway.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bhazor on January 13, 2017, 04:19:58 PM
God you're a miserable bunch of cunts.

Nah. I loved Mario and Zelda trailers. Get genuine chills every time I watch the latter. I just think they missed their best opportunity to sell it to a wider audience, but we'll see how the internet/media responds.

QuoteEvery game I saw looked fantastic, especially ARMS which is for all intents and purposes Punch Out: Platinum edition.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about ARMS from the trailer, but watching them play it on Treehouse live, it looks great. Like a mix of punch-out and smash bros. Lots of moves, exchangeable items, interactive levels, and the ability to play without motion controls, if you prefer.

QuoteI do think its wierd people insist Nintendo should be doing a high end 4k Scorpio beating console. I mean you know that will kill Nintendo right? The only reason the Xbox is still kicking is that its got Microsoft's bank roll. Sony is beating the Xbox 2:1 and you want Nintendo to jump in as third runnerup behind their own handheld?

I've never said I wanted that. I just feel like they should have shown a few more tent pole games and/or high profile 3rd party games (like skyrim). Them being graphically inferior versions could be balanced out by the opportunity to play anywhere. The pricing is also a serious turn off, considering the tech limitations, I think. 

Bhazor

It doesn't matter how many multi platform third party games it has. People are not going to buy it for third party games when they've already paid out $500 for a Playstation 4. The people interested in third party multi platform games have already bought their console three years ago and will probably be paying another $500 for the new upgrade. Because thats the console that can run the games they've already bought and its the platform their friends play on. Thats not even getting into the stigma of "Nintendo is for kiddie gayboys" among the core console frat boy demographic. No one will ever buy a Switch for COD. Even if they own a Switch. They're not playing COD on it.

Would it actually be a bad thing if they stopped making hardware? At least for the home console business. They seem to have made repeated mistakes in that area, ever since the N64 opted for cartridges over CDs. The Wii was a hit but, as has been said, people tended to forget about it once the novelty wore off.

Bhazor

Competition is always a good thing and in this competition I'd always support the guy actually doing something interesting as opposed to the two faceless, soul less and largely indistinguishable corporate entities indulging in a pissing match to see how expensive they can make game development. I mean how many developers are going to go bankrupt trying to do 4K graphics to compete with the Microsoft funded tech demos?

But yeah, Nintendo could drop out of the hardware industry and still make fantastic games. But they would be making them in a dark dystopian future where the main selling point of a console is being able to watch Netflix.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 13, 2017, 05:15:58 PM
Would it actually be a bad thing if they stopped making hardware? At least for the home console business. They seem to have made repeated mistakes in that area, ever since the N64 opted for cartridges over CDs. The Wii was a hit but, as has been said, people tended to forget about it once the novelty wore off.

If Nintendo left the hardware business, that would be the final nail in the coffin for dedicated portable gaming devices.

Without controlling its own platform, Nintendo would have to dance to the tune of platform holders. That would have an impact on the games it produces.

No Nintendo platform means one less option for games developers - not great. Also, it's hard to imagine another platform holder stumping up the cash for something like Bayonetta 2.

I was under the impression that Nintendo already weren't much of an option for third party developers.

brat-sampson

Nintendo are still the main technical innovators in this business, having led the way on practically everything since day 1 with the recent obvious exception of VR. It might have been with varying success, but an industry without their hardware would be worse off for it down the line imo.

Shay Chaise

You look at Nintendo and think:

THIS GUY FUCKS

Replies From View

Quote from: Bhazor on January 12, 2017, 10:59:08 PM
A market of Dads who want to play Zelda.

Hyde Park at Christmas: eat your heart out.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 13, 2017, 05:35:24 PM
I was under the impression that Nintendo already weren't much of an option for third party developers.

Nintendo has been working to improve its relationships with developers and in the case of indie developers, it's made huge improvements. These days, indies who have produced for Nintendo, consistently sing the company's praises. As per online discussions, such as at Neogaf, Nintendo don't publicise this as much as it should.

If you look at what larger developers have been saying recently, compared to what they did when the Wii U was launched, it's much more positive.

Also, Nintendo has helped support developers localise their titles and we've gotten games over here that we wouldn't have had otherwise. For instance, fairly recently, it was revealed (IIRC) that Nintendo has basically footed the bill for localising Dragon Quest games for the West and offered other support.

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 13, 2017, 05:36:06 PM
Nintendo are still the main technical innovators in this business, having led the way on practically everything since day 1 with the recent obvious exception of VR.
Oh?

brat-sampson

Treehouse demo for Snipperclips made it look like an *excellent* little co-op title.

EDIT: Touche...

Bhazor

As someone with no mates the focus on party games is very alienating to me.

Though 1 - 2 - Switch looks like the kind of game that could get sexual very easily. So I would have to be selective with who I played it with.

Thursday

My first thought upon seeing Mario in New York was "Finally! A game based on the movie"

Bhazor

I'm sure its just a mad dream but according to the website the eshop isn't restricted to paid online. Which indicates the console can go online with no subscription. Which may mean there is the potential for online apps like youtube or Spotify or even a web browser that would connect online even without the Nintendo online play subscription. Which could be big. Certainly I'd stop carrying a phone if my Switch was able to login into my email and access online radio. If the Switch really wants to take off it needs to act as a replacement to a phone because people don't want to lug two slabs around with them everywhere.

I mean paid online is still utter bollocks. But again, I've no mates anyway.

madhair60

Despite my relatively negative take on Switch, Let's be real, Super Mario Odyssey has a pretty good chance of being the best game ever made.

Shay Chaise

Don't come crawling back cunto