Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Does look a bit sparse though (I mean Bad North and the indie line-up)

Edit: God I am really stinking up the forum today with my boring opinions at the top of every new page.

Bhazor

At least half those games had a fall 2018 launch date. How that's a Spring showcase I'll never know.

Shay Chaise

Quite surprised by how many of those are 'new' indie games and console launch exclusives, and also quite pleased about that.

Only a few I'm interested in there but it shows they're not reliant on HLD or Terraria or whatever age-old indie hit to pad out the year.

When's Neo Geo Heroines coming out? That's my most eagerly awaited. I heard it's virtually a one handed fighter. Wahey, heterosexual lads!

madhair60

Shay Chaise

The gunky stick is a deliberate design feature. You wouldn't understand.

Kelvin

Kelvin

Nindie thing was a bit of a non-event. Three I might be tempted by if they review/ed well, the rest not really my bag. Which is fine, but I'm sure they showed more games last time.

Also, they need to dump those two corporate dweebs hosting it. Or at least dump any attempts at banter, and just have them pointing at games on a spreadsheet, with graphs labelled "fun" and "longevity". 

Beagle 2

Yeah not impressed, only Bad North looked to have anything about it.

Quote from: Kelvin on March 20, 2018, 01:25:44 PM
My switch is having joystick problems again, this time on the right joy-con. It's really getting on my tits, actually, as I managed to fix the left joy-con through a ridiculous amount of blowing, licking and wiping, but now the right one seems even worse. Spinning the camera around me, refusing to move it left at times. And nothing I try - blowing, wiping - seems to make any noticeable difference. I reckon I'm either gonna have to buy new ones, or send them to Nintendo for repairs, because it's borderline unplayable in handheld mode now.
That will be all the dried cum you've been splooging over Mario and Sexy naked horseback Link.

Shay Chaise

There are loads of better known indies in development, Hollow Knight, Nidhogg 2 and some other well known good stuff available elsewhere which I'd never play elsewhere, this little thing is predominantly to announce new titles, innit. Some more trailers for different stuff have popped up in the last few hours, too. Most of it's not my bag but it's obvious that indie devs are going all in on the Switch, because their sales are vastly better on the system than anywhere else.

Beagle 2

Lads you can stop worrying about my Sainsbury's dumping their Switch section turns out Argos were opening a branch in store and those guys are packed to the fizzy tits with Switch shit crisis over lads.

Shay Chaise

How fucking good does Labo Garage look? Fuckin rubber band guitar. Insane. Is the Switch the best console ever?

madhair60

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 23, 2018, 08:17:04 PM
Is the Switch the best console ever?

It doesn't have a D-pad, so it's the worst console ever I'm afraid.

Consignia

Problem solved:

Best console ever status regained.

madhair60

Oh, well - there's a D-pad. And it has Binding of Isaac so, yes, that's it sewn up.

Is Isaac anyone else's touchstone game? I mean no matter what game I play I always go back to Isaac and chip away at the unlocks. Such a deep and almost never ending game. Which amazingly juxtaposed by its simplicity and it only takes about 30minutes to play through to the end.

P.S. I have such a hard on for Brimstone.

BritishHobo

I'm excited to get hold of it, because it was definitely my go-to game on the PC for a long time. Fuck me I feel swamped with games though, and not even new ones. I've paused Skyrim for a while to crack on with LA Noire (Bad Cop still throws me - I fucked up interviewing a grieving child because I was scared Cole would stand up and go 'LISTEN HERE YOU MEWLING CUNT, COME CLEAN AND ADMIT YOU KILLED YOUR MAM' - I need to start thinking of it as the 'Person Making A Shifty Face' button), and Skyrim now feels like a fuckin insurmountable thing to return to. Not even started Zelda yet, and I'm still only level 7 on Splatoon and a quarter of the way through the single-player mode - and that's before this new story mode they're gonna release. I think the Switch and this batch of games might just do me til I die.

Shay Chaise

ARMS Global Testpunch free demo is on this weekend. Download it from the eShop and experience the full game with updated roster and modes.

I still think they should have done this during a Party Crash but anyway, what do I know?

I AM RIGHT ABOUT THIS

Mango Chimes

I'm glad I've the opportunity to play this, but I doubt it's something I'll want to put in the hours to become better than "dodge and then grab them", which has something around a 60% success rate for winning matches so far.  It's very peculiar that the training mode tells you to use A and B rather than the triggers for punching.

Shay Chaise

That was my first feeling, it was frustrating. It's because you're playing against other shit munchers. Anyone halfway decent would punch through your grab. The grab spam stops being viable very quickly.

Kelvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVO8rkXkrcs&t=0s

Probably the game I'm most hyped for in the near future. Absolutely love Ninja Gaiden and this looks truly retro in a way many retro games actually fall short. Music pretty amazing in the 2nd half of the video, too. 

edit: I mean, that water is pure TMNT

Kelvin

Not Switch related, but Nintendo related, and not worth a new thread.

Fella uses Mario 64 engine to recreate the Ocarina of Time world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDPStdbP_10

Makes the whole thing play like a Mario game.

Twed

Weird that Ocarina of Time was ever considered a good-looking game. I find it difficult to even read the layout of the world on the screen, it's so polygons and smear. Lovely game, but ugly. Not a touch of timelessness to its look (unlikely many games from the same era). It had about a three-year period where it wasn't comparatively shit.

Shay Chaise

Looks crud in HD, certainly, but still sounds like heaven. Thanks for the vid. It's interesting and I will never tire of that soundtrack or atmosphere.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on April 04, 2018, 03:34:44 AM
Weird that Ocarina of Time was ever considered a good-looking game. I find it difficult to even read the layout of the world on the screen, it's so polygons and smear. Lovely game, but ugly. Not a touch of timelessness to its look (unlikely many games from the same era). It had about a three-year period where it wasn't comparatively shit.

That video is using the Mario 64 engine, not the Ocarina one. The textures have been imported, and the overworld built from scratch, I think. Ocarina hasn't aged well, though, I agree. But then, almost no N64 games have. They're all polygonal, with ugly stretched textures. If anything Mario and Zelda have aged better than most, because of the brighter colours, better draw distance and simpler designs. The frame rate is consistently bad in Ocarina, too.

Twed

I get that the video isn't a representation of actual Ocarina, just a reminder. Mario 64 still makes sense visually, feels solid, consistent and not plug-ugly. Ocarina is a muddy nightmare, though. Only the title screen looks good.

Shay Chaise

Does Ocarina have the greatest attract mode ever made? The low-key music and atmosphere shows exactly how much confidence they had in their creation. It instantly transports me to a wonderful world.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on April 04, 2018, 04:10:46 AM
I get that the video isn't a representation of actual Ocarina, just a reminder. Mario 64 still makes sense visually, feels solid, consistent and not plug-ugly. Ocarina is a muddy nightmare, though. Only the title screen looks good.

Ah, right, apologies. I think one advantage that Mario 64 had over many N64 games is that it actually doesn't have many detailed textures, at all. It's mostly just a load of simple, single colour objects, which age better than the more detailed ones that now look horribly smudged.   

Kelvin

Holy shit, this game looks cool:

https://youtu.be/O2Q_8DqaZPo?t=6m17s

(I've skipped ahead to a particularly great bit, but the whole thing looks really good)

brat-sampson

More Labo noodling: Make a guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fueos7OJeuo

I love the progression, from showing you something that's like, an eh 5/10, then how to make that, then how to escalate it with button presses etc so it's like a 7/10 then coming up with a guitar housing made from cardboard and suddenly the whole thing looks actually pretty fun.

Also, bonus points for using the word Embiggen and the bit at the end, which was lovely.