Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

That guitar video is pretty impressive. I would have loved this as a kid.

Edit: brat beat me to it.

falafel

Persevered with Snake Pass and it has become quite Zen. Incredibly clunky at first but then you sort of find a rhythm. Gravity and inertia are key. Main issue is with the camera being in the wrong place sometimes when you're trying to pull off a tricky manoeuvre, oh and the checkpointing is terrible. It's a bit like QWOP in 3D but with a snake and a bit easier. Very jolly, nice music and a chirpy player character.

madhair60

Had a go on Switch for the first time. Quite honestly one of the worst controller layouts I've ever endured.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on April 06, 2018, 01:21:14 AM
Had a go on Switch for the first time. Quite honestly one of the worst controller layouts I've ever endured.

Was it the grip?

falafel

Ha, I have to admit I still kind of hate the controller layout. I feel like my hands have had to take several months of clawing up to get confortable with it - like hand yoga. Or delayed RSI, I suppose.

Shay recommended a silicon grip, which really helped. I don't think I could happily play for more than 30 minutes with a bare Switch, though.

Still love the thing.

Kelvin

I really dislike the grip, tbh, but because my friend and I both have pro controllers, I often forget that most people have to use the grip when docked. I'm surprised you don't hear more people complaining about it.

falafel

But what about handheld mode? You ok with that?

Kelvin

Quote from: falafel on April 06, 2018, 06:51:20 PM
But what about handheld mode? You ok with that?

Oh, it's fine in handheld (or was, until I started having problems with my control sticks, as talked about elsewhere in the thread). I love the console in handheld mode. Never thought I'd use that functionality, and now I use it more than docked.

madhair60

I didn't find the single joycon acceptable, nor the double joycons, nor the handheld mode. I haven't tried Pro yet. I think I'd get used to it but I'm glad I got a go on one finally as I feel it's saved me 300 quid. Shit controls. I'll get one at the end of its life cycle like I did Wii U.

Shay Chaise

You didn't find handheld mode acceptable, but you'd play on the Wii U tablet? Maybe save your money and get a hand transplant. Honestly.

A ten bob silicone grip for handheld mode is actually a good call and I use it if I'm on a trip or something or having a mega dump. The Pro controller is the most comfortable pad available, and only beaten by the XB1 revised pad which is just better for triggers, really.

I haven't used the joycon grip or a single joycon since day two of owning the thing. Free hand dual joycon I used for Mario for a bit and for very lazy/relaxed/bedtime gaming. I'm probably half handheld half Pro.

madhair60

I have a Pro Controller for Wii U

Dex Sawash

Wife caught me pooing while playing Swich. Not allowed to use Switch  now.

falafel

Still allowed to poo though?

Beagle 2

Quote from: madhair60 on April 06, 2018, 11:50:47 PM
I didn't find the single joycon acceptable, nor the double joycons, nor the handheld mode. I haven't tried Pro yet. I think I'd get used to it but I'm glad I got a go on one finally as I feel it's saved me 300 quid. Shit controls. I'll get one at the end of its life cycle like I did Wii U.

The end of its life cycle is likely to be at least five years away though isn't it? I would have thought Nintendo will just keep releasing iterations of the Switch for the forseeable future considering they have a unique part of the market sewn up.

You would obviously just get used to the controls. I agree they could be infinitely more comfortable, but the console as a whole is very sturdy and well built, and I'm not sure they could have made it as adaptable for things like Labo any other way.

Dex Sawash

brat-sampson

Thumper's really good fun.

Until like stage five.

Then it's still fun, but also damn near impossible. The difficulty jump is a bit jarring, but I'm still making progress even if I'm not sure how I'm even physically capable of handling the required inputs at that kind of pace and at that kind of notice. A true flow-state game at it's peak. Thing is I feel like you were supposed to actually be able to follow audio cues, but in reality there's so much going on I feel like I'm mostly reacting to what I see, just with a fraction of a second to do so while also logging the next few things that just popped up.

An addictive terrifying ball-busting sensory domination experience.

Kelvin

I had the same experience with Thumper. Loved it, up until about stage 5, at which point it became unplayable for me.

Bhazor

How is the rumble in Thumper on Switch. Is it Hi FI?

Kelvin

I don't remember it being particularly special, but then I've never been impressed by hd rumble with the one exception of Mario Oddessey's fizzy water. Id happily dump the tech, along with some of the other additions and buy joycons for much less.

Phil_A

I think with a bit more polish, Blossom Tales could've been a decent Zelda clone rather than just an acceptable one. But just it feels a bit amateurish.

Kelvin

Quote from: Phil_A on April 15, 2018, 09:31:13 AM
I think with a bit more polish, Blossom Tales could've been a decent Zelda clone rather than just an acceptable one. But just it feels a bit amateurish.

Like that isometric Windwaker ripoff, it looked so shameless that it actually put me off the game. If it was just the artstyle, I might be more tempted, but it looks like it uses the same mechanics and everything.

Phil_A

Quote from: Kelvin on April 15, 2018, 09:36:59 AM
Like that isometric Windwaker ripoff, it looked so shameless that it actually put me off the game. If it was just the artstyle, I might be more tempted, but it looks like it uses the same mechanics and everything.

Yeah, it really wants to be a 2D Zelda in every possible way, but just ends up highlighting all the things a typical 2D Zelda game makes look really easy - tight controls, difficulty curve, dungeon design, etc. Disappointing.

Bhazor

Quote from: Kelvin on April 11, 2018, 10:43:42 AM
I don't remember it being particularly special

Shame. That was a game I thought could actually be pretty great with HD rumble.

Shay Chaise

Football Manager is quite a nasty fit for the Switch, I feel like I can never escape it. The feeling of twenty five years ago are crawling back, seeping into my pores and wriggling and itching under my skin, my blood tunnels undulating with Headers 12 and Aptitude 9 and this kind of shit. AMR(C). Fuck, can I retrain the cunt to be AMC(R)? End of life entertainment scenario #1.

Bhazor

Yeah some games are too addictive for portable gaming. If XCom 2 gets a Switch release it could bring down the economy.

Jobey

Will Fallout 3 ever go on this thing?

Twed

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 16, 2018, 11:22:48 AM
Football Manager is quite a nasty fit for the Switch, I feel like I can never escape it. The feeling of twenty five years ago are crawling back, seeping into my pores and wriggling and itching under my skin, my blood tunnels undulating with Headers 12 and Aptitude 9 and this kind of shit. AMR(C). Fuck, can I retrain the cunt to be AMC(R)? End of life entertainment scenario #1.
Wretched Excess

Shay Chaise

^ good man.

Love Ecco Jams, too.

Shay Chaise

Yo lads, as expected I am going to fuck off now. This thread/sub has been the main interest for me on here for the last year or so. I've tried to stimulate a bit of chat in here and enjoyed the back and forth and ideas but the heart of the forum is GB and it's just not a place I want to discuss anything any more. I don't know or give a shit about most of the posters, simple as that. A fair few I would not tolerate for any amount of time in real life but I generally try not to be too unkind. I've thought this for ages and just bit my tongue and chilled in this bit but the forum is more exasperating than entertaining to me now. I'm on a different page, for better or worse. Anyway, this has been a really fun bit so just wanted to say cheers and flounce with as little dignity as I have to spare. Thanks for the laughs.

Kelvin

Fair enough. It's a real shame, though. You're one of my favourite posters, in particular in these threads. Your passion for gaming always shines through. Maybe just visit the tech forum moving forward? Hope you at least pop into the Switch thread when something big drops.