Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Say it aint so, Shay! Your enthusiasm for games is relentlessly entertaining. I hope I can still find you somewhere out there telling me what's what in the world of Switch?

Squink

Shay mate, I suspect you're back on the coffee or trying to get off the coffee again. Both those things are worse than heroin (fact). Come back after you go cold turkey?

Z

I'd say there's a chance I'm one of the more annoying posters tbh but I generally very much appreciate your enthusiasm and input. This subforum has probably been my most visited one over the last good while and you were definitely a contributing factor there.

That being said, you've definitely seemed a bit in need of a break from the place in some other subforums/threads so I hope it goes well and that you might be able to come back in a while.

madhair60

This is definitely my fault.

colacentral

Quote from: madhair60 on April 16, 2018, 09:45:11 PM
This is definitely my fault.

Can't blame him for flouncing from a forum with posters who prefer Gex: Enter the Gecko to Mario 64.

TIAL

I don't often post, Shay Chaise, but I did enjoy your deep dive in to Switch games.
All the best and do come back when you feel ready.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

He will be back. I wonder what his new user name will be.

A shame for now though, I probably wouldn't have bought a Switch and some games I've very much enjoyed without his relentless and manic eulogisms.

Timothy

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 16, 2018, 08:20:26 PM
Say it aint so, Shay! Your enthusiasm for games is relentlessly entertaining. I hope I can still find you somewhere out there telling me what's what in the world of Switch?

This!!! Thanks to you I found real Switch gems I never heard before!

Dark Souls has been postponed. :(

falafel

Beagle 2

Fuck man I feel like we've lost our leader in this thread. I own 11 Switch games and that seems a lot to me. It's not enough to sustain this thread. It's not enough. Now people will think the Switch has quite a disappointing amount of decent games because the thread keeps sinking which is obviously definitely not the case definitely.

Bhazor

I don't even have a Switch. I just came here as a Nintendo fanboy dispelling all the Nintendoomed stuff the gaming press was proclaiming when the Switch was announced. The fact the Switch became such a sales success was honestly a bit of a letdown. They lost the plucky underdog image they've had since the Wii sales dried up. Its like cheering on your home team when they've replaced the plucky butcher's boy with an 8 figure a year swedish import.

brat-sampson

Only if they conceived and raised that young Swedish champ themselves from the local village.

But yeah, Shay mate, fuck off GB if you wanna but stay in the Tech forum at least. Who else can shovel us through the eShop shitstorm?

Dex Sawash

I cant ever get the black to button extension/wrist strap holder-y things off the joy cons. They are on +to+ and -to-. I assume every 7 year old on the planet can do this without breaking a sweat.

Kelvin

Did you buy them at launch? I think there were some joycon straps that were hard to remove at launch. I haven't heard about it much since, but maybe it's still a problem with later units?

colacentral

I got mine at launch and they got stuck too, although I got them off eventually. I just don't bother with them now and don't find it an issue not using them.

Dex Sawash

Wife won it as a corporate gig prize a few weeks ago. 
I think my fucking hands are just too big to press the tiny little black button, somehow not drop the con and then slide the black bit off.

Shay Chaise

Amen, peace, dudes. I loved all this chat and mad excitement in the thread and glad to hear plenty of others have done too, but yeah, a lot of it just pisses me off and I'm not very good any more at just ignoring stuff. Mostly I just wind myself up and ruin my own day. It's entirely one for me to get on with. See you for Dark Souls no doubt and maybe catch you for Party Crash or Splatfest. Until then.

Kelvin

Stay in this little corner, you melodramtic numpty. Fuck off General Bullshit, you're greatly appreciated here.

Bhazor

Korg releasing full blooded synthesiser software for the Switch at the end of the month.

http://gadget.korg.com/nintendo_switch/

Includes bizarre four player jamming.

https://youtu.be/_1Imjsro6Hw

Beagle 2

Yaaaaas. I already have this for iPad and it's fucking great. It's basically a fully-fledged DAW. I'll buy it again, you see if i don't.

Bought Doom the other day. No fucker's playing it online! That was a waste then.

Jobey

Quote from: Bhazor on April 19, 2018, 04:44:01 PM
Korg releasing full blooded synthesiser software for the Switch at the end of the month.

http://gadget.korg.com/nintendo_switch/

Includes bizarre four player jamming.

https://youtu.be/_1Imjsro6Hw

Nice. Can you make good stuff with this?
Is it easy to pick up?

Barry Admin

Seeya soon Shay, peace out, as they say on YouTube.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 19, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
Bought Doom the other day. No fucker's playing it online! That was a waste then.

Don't you like the single player? I'd heard it was excellent.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 19, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
Yaaaaas. I already have this for iPad and it's fucking great. It's basically a fully-fledged DAW. I'll buy it again, you see if i don't.

I'm up for a game whenever you're ready.

Kelvin

Somewhat bravely, Nintendo seem to have set the Labo bike races at the Nuremberg Rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzgh-UFo2y0

Bhazor

Quote from: Jobey on April 20, 2018, 11:23:46 AM
Nice. Can you make good stuff with this?
Is it easy to pick up?

I'm sure theres people here much better qualified than I am but as a complete novice to music making software these types of things are pretty hard to get into. It is not a game it is professional software and you can expect to do a lot of reading and watch a lot of youtube videos before you even find the drum machine. But once you've got the basics of what everything does you can start bashing out tunes amazingly quickly. I can't speak of Gadget but Korg DS was a lot of fun to just poke. Even though I never knew what I was doing and was basically just making 8 beat loops on the drum machine because I couldn't work out to move the timeline or automation or any of the hundreds of dials and curves and charts you can twiddle with.

If you want a feel for Korg and the like you can try LMMS. A free open source Korg like with a nicely svelte download size of 30mb. Or look up fruityloops tutorials on youtube.
https://lmms.io/showcase/

Kelvin

Just played the original Yoshi's Island on my flatmates perfectly calibrated big screen TV.

How the fuck does that game still look so good? I honestly don't think a single other classic era game has aged so well, visually. It's insane.

That will be the extra chips inside the cart. The Super FX2 to be exact. Giving it a bit of extra graphical beef to work with.

Kelvin

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 20, 2018, 09:16:25 PM
That will be the extra chips inside the cart. The Super FX2 to be exact. Giving it a bit of extra graphical beef to work with.

Did they impact the sprites, too? I thought the Super FX chip just added the 3D elements. I was actually more amazed by how good the art looked. 

"The Super FX chip is used to render 3D polygons and to assist the SNES in rendering advanced 2D effects. This custom-made RISC processor is typically programmed to act like a graphics accelerator chip that draws polygons to a frame buffer in the RAM that sits adjacent to it. The data in this frame buffer is periodically transferred to the main video memory inside of the console using DMA in order to show up on the television display."

So I think yes, also it was released at the tail end of the 16 bit era, before 3d took over with Playstation era.