Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Well, it looks bloody good on a big screen. Way better than any other 16 bit game I've played on it.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on April 20, 2018, 09:21:07 PM
Did they impact the sprites, too? I thought the Super FX chip just added the 3D elements. I was actually more amazed by how good the art looked.
It's just good, timeless art. The Super FX just handles the rotatey stuff.

Z

Yoshi's Island looks all kinds of amazing on a CRT.

But yeah, end of console's lifespan, bonus chips and being made by the guys who designed the console who had a bit of a chip on their shoulder RE Donkey Kong Country.

Kelvin

Well, it worked. The game didn't impress my stupid child brain as much as the DKC games, but it's clearly ages far, far better, both in terms of gameplay and visuals.

Bhazor

Donkey Kong Country looks pretty bad nowadays. That horrible early "3d" era prerendered backgrounds with sprites awkwardly floating atop looking totally detached from everything.

Kelvin

I really think the Switch eshop is becoming a problem, at this point. The amount of outright garbage appearing on it every week is smothering any good titles that get released. Phone games, broken games, hideous low res steam games. I understand that initially they wanted to prove that there was a lot of content on the Switch, but at this point, there was also a sense that Nintendo were generally cultivating the mid and upper tier titles to encourage quality over quantity.

This guy has a funny video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qh7mv3-QXo

Every month he goes through the eshop tearing strips off the worst games and expressing disbelief at how some of them were allowed on the console. You don't need to watch all of it, but any given ten minutes is funny.     

edit: he does fuck up on the very first game, though, as he obviously doesn't know how Football Manager works, but putting that aside, it a funny watch.

Consignia

Absolutely, I was looking through various eshops after finally wrenching myself free of Xenoblade, and looking for some fun little game to pick up, but I was just greeted with an avalanche of shit. Seriously, Bingo and Word-searches there for non-trival amounts of money. Gal Gun un-ironically sitting there. I shared loads of sentiment with ya man on that video.

In the end I gave up. Back to Puyo Puyo Tetris for me.

Kelvin

I feel like I have to check the eshop every week, just to add any interesting games to my watchlist. No way I'd every be able to find them otherwise.

I also decided to buy something as a diversion from Xenoblade 2. Settled on the much acclaimed Steamworld Dig 2, which I added to the list months ago.   

It was a similar story on the Wii, the amount of shovalwear. It kinda denotes its sucess when all the roaches come out and try to get rich off the back of it.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on April 22, 2018, 01:41:29 PM
edit: he does fuck up on the very first game, though, as he obviously doesn't know how Football Manager works, but putting that aside, it a funny watch.
Yeah, watching this guy immediately gibbering about something he doesn't understand with such confidence means I have to put him in the reject bin for life, I'm afraid.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on April 22, 2018, 02:33:01 PM
Yeah, watching this guy immediately gibbering about something he doesn't understand with such confidence means I have to put him in the reject bin for life, I'm afraid.

Fair enough, but as he says himself, the idea is that it's about first impression created by the games and the eshop, rather than a critical assessment of the games themselves. He does sometimes comment on a game that's well reviewed and dismiss it, or see a game that's poorly reviewed and think it looks okay, but his wider point is that there are an increasing number of very sloppy, badly promoted games on the eshop. I just think it's fun hearing him improvise and riff about them.   

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on April 22, 2018, 02:48:11 PM
Fair enough, but as he says himself, the idea is that it's about first impression created by the games and the eshop, rather than a critical assessment of the games themselves.
That's all well and good but the first impression created by an obnoxious YouTuber overrides all of that.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on April 22, 2018, 02:55:54 PM
That's all well and good but the first impression created by an obnoxious YouTuber overrides all of that.

Fair enough. I don't like it enough to defend it beyond what I've said.

Ferris

Right. I didn't like Zelda. What game should I get off the eShop? Want to play switch again.

Kelvin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 22, 2018, 03:00:14 PM
Right. I didn't like Zelda. What game should I get off the eShop? Want to play switch again.

Did you play Mario?

Ferris

No, but I loved Galaxy 1 & 2. Is that a good place to start?

Kelvin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 22, 2018, 03:28:29 PM
No, but I loved Galaxy 1 & 2. Is that a good place to start?

Wow, I'm surprised you even need to ask if you enjoyed Galaxy so much  :)

Odyssey is a great game. Not as good as BOTW in my view, and maybe without the pure platforming highs of Galaxy, but, on balance, probably the most consistently great 3D Mario since 64. I wouldn't hesitate in telling someone to get Mario and Zelda as their first games on the console.

Ferris

Right, I'm downloading Mario now. Will report back.

I desperately want to get into the Switch so I'm making a concerted effort after Zelda didn't do it for me.

Kelvin

Without knowing what types of games you like, it's hard to make recommendations, but I also very strongly recommend Splatoon 2, Celeste, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8 (if you haven't played the Wii U version), Binding of Isaac (if you haven't already played it elsewhere), and a bunch of shooters, which I can list if you like that sort of thing.   

Ferris

I have MarioKarts 8 on the Wii U but haven't played it in yonks. I enjoy more or less all game genres - I'll see how I get on with Mario for now.

Binding of Isaac looks good, I've never played it but it's been recommended to me before.

Kelvin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 22, 2018, 06:29:36 PM
I have MarioKarts 8 on the Wii U but haven't played it in yonks. I enjoy more or less all game genres - I'll see how I get on with Mario for now.

Binding of Isaac looks good, I've never played it but it's been recommended to me before.

Okay, well check in when you next want some suggestions, and I'm sure we can find you something you'll like :)

In other news, the various Nintendo youtubers I watch have been putting up Labo footage, and for the first time, I actually find myself tempted by it. The fishing game in particular looks like it could be very chilled out fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIiYDiwrewo

(and yes, it is the same youtuber I posted earlier today. I like his Nintendo content, so sue me)

Kelvin

A very enthusiastic recommendation for Steamworld Dig 2. I had heard it getting praised as one of the best games on Switch for months now, but had assumed that it wouldn't really be to my tastes, which tend to lean more arcadey and fast paced.  I was totally wrong. The game has a very simple but satisfying gameplay loop; you head down into the mines beneath a town of robots, in search of your missing friend, but are initially restricted by your ineffective tools and limited lamp fuel. By digging, though, you unearth ore and jewels which can then be sold back in town, giving you money to spend on upgrades and perks, making each subsequent visit to the mine longer, and more effective.

The paths you dig through the mine are permanent, so each dig takes you further and further down, into new regions, unlocking new abilities (it's a sort of Metroidvania), and unearthing more and more expensive jewels to spend on upgrades. The sense of progress and of something to work towards is constant and impressive, and with every few digs, you'll come across another cool power, a new region, or a ton of jewels to spend in the town above.

I've explained this very badly, tbh, but I really do think the game is very, very good after only playing it for a few hours. It's one of those games you just can't put down, because after every trip into the mines, you think "I'll just go and see what was through that mysterious door I nearly reached,", or "I'll just get enough money for this cool upgrade", or whatever.

It's also quite a chilled experience. There are enemies, and it can be fairly hard at points, but the constant sense of exploration, and the fact each dig only lasts a few minutes, means you just kind of enter this zen place where every gem feels satisfying, every new area feels enticing, but you never feel rushed or pressured to explore them immediately. You can just take it at your own pace; focus on exploring, focus on the mission objectives/story, or focus on earning money for upgrades; all of which feel worthwhile.

It's excellent, and for £14 (I think), it's an absolute bargain.       

Kelvin

Just rolled credits on Steamworld Dig 2. 14 hours to reach that point, and I was gutted when I realised I had reached the end. I honestly think it might be my favourite indie game on Switch. It's certainly in the same bracket of quality as Shovel Knight, Celeste and Isaac, imo. I can't recommend it enough.

It is great I just wish there was more to do in the crazy dark weird robot world place.

Kelvin

Quote from: canted_angle_again on April 28, 2018, 10:45:06 AM
It is great I just wish there was more to do in the crazy dark weird robot world place.

I think that was the last world from the first game, so I guess it's more of a call back than a fully fledged area, but I loved how creepy that section was, and how genuinely frightening the huge robots were.

I also wish I'd known the game was going to end when it did, because I would have put it off and gone for 100%, probably. Now I've done the final boss, I'm not sure I'm incentivised to level everything up. Maybe on another run through in the future. I definitely want to play through it again.

I felt much the same about how the ending came as a bit of a shock. It felt as though there should have been at least a quarter more of the game to go.

Have you played the first game? Is it worth picking up or is it just like the second one but not as good?

Kelvin

Quote from: canted_angle_again on April 28, 2018, 12:09:25 PM
I felt much the same about how the ending came as a bit of a shock. It felt as though there should have been at least a quarter more of the game to go.

Yeah, I assumed there was a whole final act to follow after the point where it actually ended. There's no padding, though, and I'd rather play a game which leaves me wanting more than one with tons of filler.

QuoteHave you played the first game? Is it worth picking up or is it just like the second one but not as good?

I haven't played the first one, no. I've repeatedly heard that it's okay, but nowhere near the standard of the sequel, and perfectly skippable.

Apparently, Steamworld Heist (also on Switch) picks up the story of the world (not the characters) after the events of Steamworld Dig 2's ending, so I might give that a try at some point.

Ignatius_S

The first Steamworld Dig game is excellent - although the second does expand the game elements nicely, I found the first one more addictive and I think, a bit more of a challenge. Personally, I feel it's very much up to the standard of the sequel. The story in the second nicely follows on from the first.

The original game was *very* well received and IIRC, nominated for a few awards. However, after the second was released, there was a tendency for it to compared harshly against the newer game - certainly, that was the case in some Switch reviews.

The core game is pretty much the same between the two, but because of of the tweaks to the formula in the second, I suspect some might find the first a little frustrating. However, I can't really see anyone who hated the first, undergoing a Damascene conversion by the second.

Steamworld Heist is set in the same universe but a different type of game - it's a turn-based squad shooter. Again, it's excellent.

Beagle 2

Sky Rogue looks right up my alley. That's my next purchase I think.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole at £62.99, is not.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 01, 2018, 08:57:53 PM
Sky Rogue looks right up my alley. That's my next purchase I think.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole at £62.99, is not.

south park is on there for less, I think. The £62,99 version a bundle