Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:53:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I've finally started playing Breath of the Wild. God it's gorgeous.

Wanna buy more games but I'm too broke at the moment to be shelling out forty/fifty quid for the big games. Really want that Toad game when it's out, I missed it on the WiiU.

Consignia

Just picked up Steamworld Dig 2, and it's absolutely great fun. I was looking for something to get me back on the Switch after ages, but couldn't find much that really shouted out to me in the myriad of 8-Bit era pixel art style games. I was also considering Donkey Kong, but the price is way too rich for my blood, no matter how could it acutally is.

But Steamworld Dig really scratched that itch. I know it's multiplatform, but it really fits the Switch in handheld mode. I can just pick it up and start digging and constantly find new stuff. I've heard tell it's short, but frankly it's already justified it's price if I'm right at the end. Absolutely charming art style too.

Cracking little game, SD2. I didn't get round to playing it properly for a good while but I'm glad I went back. Once you build a little momentum, it's hard to stop. I wonder if the concept will support a third game. I'd likely be up for it.

Ikaruga is out tomorrow, for anyone wanting some very refined, legendary shmup/puzzle action. It's not my favourite, and I've only ever played for a few hours, I'm much more into the Cave bullet hell stuff but I'll be giving this some proper attention now it's on Switch.

Radar

Now, I'm probably being stupid, but Alta Vistaing this just isn't bringing the goods. What the hell do I do with Platinum Points on the Switch? I've used a few gold ones to knock a couple of quid off games in the shop, but I have no idea what to do with the Platinum ones. Any ideas?

Nothing for the Switch. You can get some themes or shite for a 3DS or Wii U, it think. I expect them to bring in themes and stuff but who knows if the platinum tokens will carry over, or if it'll even happen.

Radar

Ah - that explains it. So why do they keep handing them out on Switch stuff? Silly buggers.

I didn't think they did, or didn't realise. I guess to 'cross-pollinate the Nintendo family' or some bollocks.

Bhazor

Because Nintendo are fucking idiots who make really good games. But they're still fucking idiots.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bhazor on May 29, 2018, 12:03:04 PM
Because Nintendo are fucking idiots who make really good games. But they're still fucking idiots.

Exactly. Nintendo are what you'd get if you asked a cursed monkey's paw for the best games in the world. 

Jobey

Twitter is popping off right now regarding a Fallout announcement.
Looking like F3 might hit the Switch.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jobey on May 30, 2018, 11:35:39 AM
Twitter is popping off right now regarding a Fallout announcement.
Looking like F3 might hit the Switch.

How so?

Jobey

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jobey on May 30, 2018, 11:43:12 AM
Ah shit maybe I'm wrong, loads of fake stuff floating around.
Now I'm seeing this.
https://twitter.com/G27Status/status/1001618551902322688

Ah, wondered if you had seen something more concrete - anyway, the next game is announced... https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,67252.0.html

Jobey

Nice! But I want Fallout on the ruddy Switch.

Bhazor

New Sonic racing game. If it's half as good as Transformed it will 0.85 times as good as Mario Kart 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZMkv8_w1yI&feature=youtu.be

Consignia

Quote from: Bhazor on May 30, 2018, 07:45:38 PM
New Sonic racing game. If it's half as good as Transformed it will 0.85 times as good as Mario Kart 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZMkv8_w1yI&feature=youtu.be

I love the way it says preorder now, as if you're so wowed by that 20 second CGI animation of a couple of characters famous for running in cars makes you shout "YES, I NEED THIS NOW!"

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Consignia on May 30, 2018, 07:57:27 PM
I love the way it says preorder now, as if you're so wowed by that 20 second CGI animation of a couple of characters famous for running in cars makes you shout "YES, I NEED THIS NOW!"

Bad. Bad bad bad. The lack of imagination actually angers me. They've got two things: characters whose main attribute is "can run and roll incredibly fast" and a desire to do a knock off Mario Kart. And yet they can't take the worlds easiest creative leap to think "what about a racing game with the characters running and rolling!" and instead just put them in cars.

asids

Quote from: Mango Chimes on May 31, 2018, 11:52:44 AM
Bad. Bad bad bad. The lack of imagination actually angers me. They've got two things: characters whose main attribute is "can run and roll incredibly fast" and a desire to do a knock off Mario Kart. And yet they can't take the worlds easiest creative leap to think "what about a racing game with the characters running and rolling!" and instead just put them in cars.

They did the running thing with Sonic R on the Saturn and it was shite. The last Sonic racing game was brilliant though and much more than a mere Mario Kart knock-off so I'm looking forward to this.

Bhazor

Yeah Transformed was way better than Mario Kart 8. I'd say it actually felt like a modern Diddy Kong Racing with its multi vehicles and daft boss fights and mini games. It also had a really cool mechanic where the track would radically change between laps like in Split/Second.

But yeah it also shows how shit the Sega IPs are compared to Nintendo. Its like when Sony did their Smash Bros rip off and it looks like one on those joke "& Knuckles" composites where no two characters look like they belong together.

madhair60

I'm really looking forward to this, Transformed was ace, Sonic is ace too

It's like the Gobots tier of gaming, pound shop variants.

Just a reminder that the Mario Tennis Aces demo thing starts today at 3pm. You can unlock an exclusive costume for the full game by playing through it.

Mango Chimes

I don't understand this game. I can't tell the difference between the different shot types. Should I lob, slice or top-spin? No idea.

falafel

Do you mean Mario Tennis or... just tennis?

Mango Chimes

Quote from: falafel on June 01, 2018, 07:30:32 PM
Do you mean Mario Tennis or... just tennis?

Well... both.

Kelvin

I thought the Mario Tennis: Aces demo seemed fun. Shame it might be the closest I've ever been to being truly, inescapably shit at a game. I couldn't even beat the CPU after several matches, and of the online games I played, the only match I won was a result of the other player taking too long to serve.

It was like being a kid again, playing against your uncle who claims losing "builds character". Fuck you Uncle Pete, I'm glad you have diabetes.   

falafel

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 01, 2018, 07:58:10 PM
Well... both.

Well, to my understanding:

Lob should get your ball way into the other end of the court. Makes your opponent run around more.

Slice is backspin, slows your ball down on the bounce. Can make your opponent have to run closer to the net and set you up for a lob, or just catch them out. Topspin does the opposite, speeds the ball up on the bounce. Again good for catching the opponent out.

I won every game so far.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 01, 2018, 09:20:16 PM
I won every game so far.

Don't eat too much sugar, Uncle Pete.

madhair60

Sometimes I imagine the idea of ever "losing" at a Mario game and just laugh and laugh, cumming hard.