Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

It's a bit convoluted isn't it, but I'll get the hang of it. Absolutely essential purchase.

falafel

See, I'm bad at this, but was getting better. Had a fantastic volley with someone. But then halfway through the match, shocking lag. I would press a direction and move a quarter of a second later. I am on Virgin fibre, fucking nippy. Is that still how online gaming works? It was fucking awful and ruined what had been a fun game
It had also happened a couple of times earlier this evening but the matches had been crap. If that is the experience it doesn't feel worth bothering with. I mean, I went from 'this is weirdly difficult' to 'oh, I'm beating people' to 'wading through treacle rather die' within 20 minutes. Fuck online gaming.

madhair60

I love that there are so few Switch games worth a fuck that you cunts are actually playing Mario Tennis of all fucking things. Unbelievable.

Quote from: Kelvin on June 01, 2018, 09:21:58 PM
Don't eat too much sugar, Uncle Pete.

I don't get the reference but I'll take it as a compliment.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 01, 2018, 11:11:46 PM
I don't get the reference but I'll take it as a compliment.

It was just a crap reference to my post further upthread.

Quote from: madhair60 on June 01, 2018, 11:09:59 PM
I love that there are so few Switch games worth a fuck that you cunts are actually playing Mario Tennis of all fucking things. Unbelievable.

What's the legal limits on death threats? Like, how far can I go before the cops can be called?

falafel

It's so clearly a good, fun game. Is nobody else getting dreadful lag?

Also. How do you spin shots?

Beagle 2

Coming in to this thread for you is like staring forlornly at the Argos Catalogue at things you know you want but then drawing a cock and balls all over them.

Mind you, I fell asleep this evening and dreamed I bought an Xbox, probably not a great sign.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 01, 2018, 11:13:45 PM
What's the legal limits on death threats? Like, how far can I go before the cops can be called?

<3

falafel

My frustration is immediately replaced with happiness when I realise I can just pick this thing up out of the dock and play in bed.

Mate, get one.

bgmnts

Advantage, madhair.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 01, 2018, 11:13:45 PM

Deuce!

madhair60

falafel

Again, though, nobody else having connection trouble? A fair few highish profile people on Twitter seem to be.

Not me but I'm on wired connection. Will report back from the shit house

Consignia

Mario Tennis is good fun, but I just couldn't imagine paying full price for it. I mean a couple of matches here and there is all I'd probably get out of it.

Pretty good fun, I'll inevitably get it but it's also pretty complicated at the moment. I've no idea what any of the special stuff does or how to do it or whatever. It's made no difference to my 100% WR. Played two, won two, including one bad connection/ragequit where I was awarded the victory. Unlike some folks, I like to quit while I'm ahead.

Kelvin

I cannot believe how bad I am at it - I can barely even hit the ball, just like real Tennis! Although, at least I found out before buying. I can't see myself forking out full price for a game I can't even play to a basic level. Now, I know how my parents feel whenever we ask them to play a computer game for five minutes, and they keep falling in the first pit.   

Mango Chimes

I never took part in the original Splatoon Global Testfires, just took a punt on buying the game. There was a fairly hefty initial learning curve, where I went from being fucking baffled by the motion controls to loving them, and from then on it (and it's sequel) has become one of my favourite ever and most played games.

Having now played a few rounds of the Arms Testpunch and the Tennis Pre-Launch Online Tournament (why doesn't Tennis get a fun stupid name for its demo?!) and in each case thought "it's fun enough, but I don't think I'll bother with the full thing", I do wonder if I'd have given up on Splatoon in a similar fashion.

falafel

Has anyone figured out how to put a spin on the ball? More advanced players seem to be able to do that a lot.

I haven't been able to get past the second round because, being against usually better players, they tend to either be quick losses for me or drag out more which has frequently resulted in some really fun and increasingly strategic volleys followed by what appear to now be statistically inevitable episodes of extreme lag which completely fuck me up and make me lose.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: falafel on June 02, 2018, 03:07:15 PM
Has anyone figured out how to put a spin on the ball? More advanced players seem to be able to do that a lot.

No. But if you nail the timing you do get a megashot thing where it twinkles a bit and makes it harder to return. Ta for the top tennis tips before, by the way, helpful. Although I find the controls for the lob etc quite difficult to not fuck up and accidentally do a trick shot or otherwise fuck things up.

And I wasn't yesterday afternoon, but today I did experience some big lag issues – at one point, I wasn't entirely sure I was playing and not just watching some kind of automated thing, it was quite odd. (Note: it was not a replay, I'm not that shit.)

Consignia

Following on from Steamworld Dig 2, which was excellent, I decided to pick another from the developer, Steamworld Heist. Very different style of game, it's a turn based strategy on a 2D platform plane. It's a great feel to it though, and absolute joy to pick up and do a couple of maps. Both of these are really suited to the Switch.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on June 02, 2018, 06:21:54 PM
Following on from Steamworld Dig 2, which was excellent, I decided to pick another from the developer, Steamworld Heist. Very different style of game, it's a turn based strategy on a 2D platform plane. It's a great feel to it though, and absolute joy to pick up and do a couple of maps. Both of these are really suited to the Switch.

I reckon I'll pick that up soon, too. I loved Dig 2. My only concern was that it would get a bit repetitive, but that's based off me looking at 2 screenshots for ten seconds. 

Consignia

I could see it being repetitive, it depends on how they mix it up later on. I'm only about 4 levels in at the moment, so I've not seen much. However, I personally wouldn't mind it too much, since it's a game I can stick on for 10 minutes spurts when I'm in between things rather one to spend hours on in single binge. But what I've played so far has been a lot of fun.

I love the art style of both these Steamworld Games. As I said it makes them stand out of the raft of pixel art indie games which I always seem to come across when looking for platformers.

falafel

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 02, 2018, 06:15:15 PM
No. But if you nail the timing you do get a megashot thing where it twinkles a bit and makes it harder to return. Ta for the top tennis tips before, by the way, helpful. Although I find the controls for the lob etc quite difficult to not fuck up and accidentally do a trick shot or otherwise fuck things up.

And I wasn't yesterday afternoon, but today I did experience some big lag issues – at one point, I wasn't entirely sure I was playing and not just watching some kind of automated thing, it was quite odd. (Note: it was not a replay, I'm not that shit.)

It's that double X to do the trick shot for me - i have never actually wanted to do one yet but  have done it loads of times because I pressed X one more time than I wanted to. Maybe it's to nudge people to not button bash?

Mango Chimes

Quote from: falafel on June 02, 2018, 06:45:54 PM
It's that double X to do the trick shot for me - i have never actually wanted to do one yet but  have done it loads of times because I pressed X one more time than I wanted to. Maybe it's to nudge people to not button bash?

Ah, could be. Because it is the only thing that's made me try to think about (not) double-hitting every time I want to hit a shot.

Bhazor

Nobuyuki Inoue (director on Mother 3) is back with a new RPG exclusive to the Switch.

Work x Work

https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/1004391675848949760

Fortnite runs perfectly well on the Switch. Quite impressive, in fact, given how crap these things usually are before a massive day one patch. I never played much before but really enjoying it. Pretty casual but I've come up against some proper players, too. Turns out loads of cunts been playing the earth number one popular gane.

brat-sampson

The drops keep coming.

Octoling expansion drops worldwide TOMORROW

Kelvin

Quote from: brat-sampson on June 12, 2018, 10:05:53 PM
The drops keep coming.

Octoling expansion drops worldwide TOMORROW

Yeah, that's pretty big. No idea why that wasn't in their Direct.