Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Am I right that they've made a habit of dropping shit during the Treehouse stuff? I don't quite get why they do it. Why not have a 60-minute Direct and make a bit more of it, and Fortnite, and Hollow Knight, etc.? Hopefully more to come, though!

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 12, 2018, 10:09:13 PM
Am I right that they've made a habit of dropping shit during the Treehouse stuff? I don't quite get why they do it. Why not have a 60-minute Direct and make a bit more of it, and Fortnite, and Hollow Knight, etc.? Hopefully more to come, though!

Yeah, but I think this is the biggest drop they've ever done. Usually it's just 3DS games and puzzle games.

Kelvin

The Smash Bros tournament is starting now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchkqXEg0qs

possibly another character reveal at the end? Might be a good place to start if you're not sure about the appeal of the greatest multiplayer game of all time. It's a bunch of Smash circuit pros playing the game in front of fans for the first time. 

brat-sampson

I guess they figured it made more sense after their Splatoon 2 tournament as a great surprise for the fans. I can see the logic. It would've fitted into the Direct but wouldn't have changed anyone's opinions on it and would've left nothing for the tournament. Maybe a new trailer or sth.

Kelvin

Sakurai (creator of Smash bros) being treated like a god by the fans, there. He really is one of the greats. Pours his absolute soul into every game.

colacentral

I find it weird that there's been no talk of revisiting Mario Kart 8. When the Switch came out I think everyone assumed that there'd be at least some form of DLC for it down the road for people who bought it on Wii U already, but that's been completely forgotten about.

Bhazor

It had new Battle Mode maps.

Kelvin

Quote from: colacentral on June 12, 2018, 10:41:11 PM
I find it weird that there's been no talk of revisiting Mario Kart 8. When the Switch came out I think everyone assumed that there'd be at least some form of DLC for it down the road for people who bought it on Wii U already, but that's been completely forgotten about.

I think it more likely they'll do a sequel in a few years time. Mario Kart is huge for them.

colacentral

Quote from: Bhazor on June 12, 2018, 10:43:31 PM
It had new Battle Mode maps.

Yeah, but that was when it was released, and it was assumed that MK 8 would be a platform that they could keep adding new stuff too, similar to how they treat Splatoon, or at least one new Grand Prix and Diddy Kong.

I'm assuming that Mario Kart 9 is deep into development, since they would have started working on it as soon as 8 came out on the Wii U, and they're holding everything back for that. 2020 maybe?

Timothy

I think we can all agree that e3 for Nintendo fans was crap.

Jobey

Free Fallout Shelter. Fuck that mate

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Timothy on June 13, 2018, 09:58:54 AM
I think we can all agree that e3 for Nintendo fans was crap.

Mmm, depends on your expectations, I suppose.

Nintendo, IIRC, had said that the focus was going to be on stuff that releases in 2018. That was the case and although I don't think there was anything mind-shattering (well, Ridley maybe) there's a fair bit coming over for the rest of the year and I can't grumble about the third-party stuff – plus there's other stuff that should be out this year, which we already knew about. 

*Also* a good while ago, Nintendo said it was moving away from using E3 as the main conduit for future news and we've seen that. Nintendo will have other directs to make big announcements - that's how the Doom port (a big deal) was made – so that should temper expectations.

In terms of 2019, my gut feeling is that the first few months are going to be solid (e.g. Yoshi being pushed back from 2018). Daemon X Machina looked great, has great pedigree and it was a good way to tease a new IP.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: colacentral on June 12, 2018, 10:47:37 PM
Yeah, but that was when it was released, and it was assumed that MK 8 would be a platform that they could keep adding new stuff too, similar to how they treat Splatoon, or at least one new Grand Prix and Diddy Kong.

I'm assuming that Mario Kart 9 is deep into development, since they would have started working on it as soon as 8 came out on the Wii U, and they're holding everything back for that. 2020 maybe?

In a lot of the discussion, I saw, I get the idea that many expected additional content for the Switch version – and personally, I would have been surprised.

FWIW, Nintendo kyboshed the idea that we would get additional tracks. That's no guarantee that would be the case, but the game is still selling well and arguably, they're best off devoting resources to the next game.

Beagle 2

I've never played a Smash Bros. game. It just sort of looks really lame. I might have to give the GC version a go on Dolphin, see if I can get excited about my piece of shit no games Switch again before I sell it for crack.

Bazooka

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 13, 2018, 04:32:03 PM
I've never played a Smash Bros. game. It just sort of looks really lame. I might have to give the GC version a go on Dolphin, see if I can get excited about my piece of shit no games Switch again before I sell it for crack.

Smash Bros is far from lame, its biggest design flaw is at times its impossible to tell what is happening on screen.

Kelvin

Smash is brilliant, but it's a hard sell to people who haven't played it. You really need to sit down and try it with a group of friends to see the appeal.

Phil_A

Connectivity on my Switch has become an absolute shitshow, with the eshop now refusing to download anything. I can't believe how feeble the wi-fi range is in general, even in the same room as the router it's barely usable.

Urgh. Am going to have to fork out for a LAN adaptor? Twenty-seven quid, what a piss-take.

Z

Quote from: Kelvin on June 13, 2018, 08:22:54 PM
Smash is brilliant, but it's a hard sell to people who haven't played it. You really need to sit down and try it with a group of friends to see the appeal.
I played Smash Bros one time, Melee in approximately 2004 with a bunch of friends.
The one friend who owned it won every game within a few seconds, he refused to explain anything to us; after about half an hour we managed to get away from it and I've never even considered playing it since.

Bhazor

I can't play fighting games, my brain just isn't wired that way, Smash is no exception. That said Smash Wiiu was worth getting just for the fan service. The orchestra renditions of classic Nintendo themes, the collectable models, unlocking heroes, all the daft arenas.

In terms of fanwank its a full blown bukkake and I'm the soggy bitch with my mouth open.

Quote from: Phil_A on June 16, 2018, 12:25:25 AM
Connectivity on my Switch has become an absolute shitshow, with the eshop now refusing to download anything. I can't believe how feeble the wi-fi range is in general, even in the same room as the router it's barely usable.

Urgh. Am going to have to fork out for a LAN adaptor? Twenty-seven quid, what a piss-take.

It sounds defective. Mine connects over wifi from the ground floor to anywhere including the attic. The LAN adapter helps of course but the wifi is no way that bad. It sounds buggered.

Also, any old USB to ethernet adapter will work. You don't need the official job. I have it but I tried a generic one and no different.

Kelvin

You lot better buck your ideas up about Smash, because I'm going to want to talk about that game a lot, and it's not going to be any fun if you all think it's shit.

You have six month.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Phil_A on June 16, 2018, 12:25:25 AM

Yeah just to add it must be faulty. The range on mine is fine, matches my phone and laptop basically.

Kelvin

Yeah, the bad news is that you might need to send it in to Nintendo, and bearing in mind that they sometimes wipe or lose all the save data, you might want to just put up with it until the cloud saves arrive with the internet service in September. Sorry.

Phil_A

I'm thinking the problem might be router-based to be honest. We've got this shitty Virgin megahub that only seems to cover one side of the building with any stability, I had similar problems with my 3DS.

I've tried downloading again today and it seems like it's working, although I had to try every room in the house to find the most stable connection.

I'll still be getting an ethernet adaptor though(good shout Bosto, ta).

No sweat. I hope that helps a bit.

The other thing I did to improve WiFi was to make sure the Switch was connected to the 5ghz signal from my router, if yours has that option. It definitely drops out less, almost never, and it's not much slower than the wired connection now. I'm pretty sure I also set up port forwarding, for whatever that's worth.

Kelvin

I've noticed the noises when you scroll through the homepage icons seem to have disappeared (or in some cases, fade down after a few seconds) when docked. I can't tell if it's a problem caused by the last system update, a fault with my switch/dock, or the crap old tv I'm using at the mo.

Has anyone else got the same issue when docked?

Kelvin

Checked online again and it's apparently an issue with tv compatability. I'm using a fairly old one.

Mine takes a few seconds to kick in with the bips. Seems a bit weird but has been like that since the start.

Kelvin

Switch is off the front page! Nintendoomd

Nah, I came to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_isAqA-iyI

I keep hearing people saying how good the graphics are, but... they aren't good at all, are they? Not even a nice style to them. At least I don't think so.

On the other hand; pikachu is just soooo cute!

edit: to remove the suggestion I would fuck pikachu. 

edit 2: I literally only started this post to make a crap joke about fucking a pikachu, and now I've chickened out of it, leaving this post bereft

edit 3: and now the edit glitch means you will all have to repeatedly read this pitiful monument to depravity and cowardice

brat-sampson

So much relentless energy in that trailer, definitely looks like one for a younger audience though.

NTTAWWT