Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:54:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I meant to say - I got the new Mario a couple weeks back and played it a lot on the plane. Terrific fun, shame the switch battery is shite. I only got about 3 hours out of it on full charge.

Also it looked so fragile in my bag being bounced around so I got a cheap case on amazon and it looks much more robust now which is nice. It's going to replace the iPad as my go-to plane entertainment (for 3 hours while the battery lasts).

I got myself a RavPower thing for a flight, maybe thirty or forty quid. Lasted fifteen hours or so.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2018, 12:52:24 PM
I got myself a RavPower thing for a flight, maybe thirty or forty quid. Lasted fifteen hours or so.

Talk to me about external charger things. If (for the sake of argument) I had a $50 gift card and was going to buy one on amazon, what is the thing I should look for? Maximum mA? I know 0 about electronics.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A

I think I got this one or the next one up. Thirty quid or so at the moment. Probably cheaper at your end.

Hecate

Make sure you switch fellas pick up 20XX, was my second favourite game of last year after Nex Machina.
Think of a faster paced, more forgiving roguelite megaman and you're more or less there.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2018, 01:20:37 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-20100-Capacity-Technology-Black/dp/B00VJSGT2A

I think I got this one or the next one up. Thirty quid or so at the moment. Probably cheaper at your end.

Will take a look and purchase when I get home. Thanks!

Kelvin

Howard Stern reacts to youtuber/twitch gamer Etika reacting to the Smash Bros E3 reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP7pFewru6E

"North Koreans don't get this excited when they get food."

And then here's Etika reacting to Howard reacting to Etika reacting to the Smash Bros E3 reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVtZnPOqk9c

Beagle 2

I bought Immortal Redneck. It's quite good fun, sort of like a Serious Sam roguelike, but all set in locked rooms (if the world needed such a thing). Would prefer a Serious Sam port.

I'll add it to all my other 'great to play in short bursts!" games of which there are far too many.

Consignia

Captain Toad, it's great. Never played the Wii U version, but it fits the Switch handheld perfectly. I can feel it's going to be short, but nearly level is a joy to play. Except those rail shooter sections.

Ferris

Quote from: Consignia on July 14, 2018, 02:20:14 PM
Captain Toad, it's great. Never played the Wii U version, but it fits the Switch handheld perfectly. I can feel it's going to be short, but nearly level is a joy to play. Except those rail shooter sections.

I happen to love rail shooters. Like a rollercoaster!

Zoooom! Pow pow!

Hecate

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 14, 2018, 06:29:11 AMImmortal Redneck

Immortal Redneck is great! They added an endless mode since I last played, I'll have to fire that up again one day.

Kelvin

Not sure what game to get next. A dumb, fun shooter like Doom or Wolfenstein, a cheaper, charming game like Captain Toad, or a huge timesink like Octopath Traveller? Games on the Switch are likes buses.

Pdine

Quote from: Kelvin on July 18, 2018, 05:37:05 AM
Not sure what game to get next. A dumb, fun shooter like Doom or Wolfenstein, a cheaper, charming game like Captain Toad, or a huge timesink like Octopath Traveller? Games on the Switch are likes buses.

I almost bought Octopath Traveller but in the end I still bristle at being punished for exploring by random encounters.

Kelvin, I'd say that following the recent bit of chat about Doom, I'd say if you can get it physically for cheap, it's a good fun bash. Octopath is lovely but it's a JRPG - tropes and all. I don't know if you've played the most recent demo but your save carries over. I've hardly put any time into it yet but the demo is entirety representative, if that helps.

falafel

Quote from: Pdine on July 18, 2018, 08:06:45 AM
I almost bought Octopath Traveller but in the end I still bristle at being punished for exploring by random encounters.

I never understood why you weren't given the option to just try and run away in these sorts of games. Or why you might be walking in a desert and suddenly 5 giant pink scorpions materialise. At least give them a rock to hide behind! Playing Final Fantasy felt like trying to go to the shops with a sniper taking potshots at you while you try to buy yoghurt.

It's a question of perspective. For a lot of people, the fighting mechanics are more important than the story stuff. There's also usually a 'Flee' option, but you can't always run away.

Octopath is much better than most in terms of checkpoints and autosaves, from my short experience.

falafel

Oh I get that the fighting mechanics are hugely significant. The unsignposted random encounter thing always just seemed so inelegant though.

Beagle 2

Now I've played Immortal Redneck a bit more I'd recommend it, it's a lot of fun. Think it's on sale for £14. I got stuck on Doom really early on and couldn't be fucked with it any more. Just get lost. Dull.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 18, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
Now I've played Immortal Redneck a bit more I'd recommend it, it's a lot of fun. Think it's on sale for £14. I got stuck on Doom really early on and couldn't be fucked with it any more. Just get lost. Dull.

Doom does look repetitive, I honestly think I'd prefer Wolfenstein, despite the problems people have mentioned here before. Octopath looks good, but the grinding and combat might be a bit much for me after playing several long, slower paced games back to back. Captain Toad looks okay, but honestly interests me the least. Looks overly simple, and I wasn't particularly gripped by the demo.

Dunno, basically. Reckon its between Octopath and Wolfenstein. I'll also look up Immortal Redneck video on youtube, and see what I think.

I can't give it a massive recommendation but Ys VIII is an action RPG thing based on a sprawling island. It's pretty goofy, sunny, very good natured kind of thing, reminiscent of PS2 games. More ambitious than its technical expertise can back up. It's a weird one but something different to the above choices, worth having a look. Maybe too close to XC2, even though it's a different type of RPG.

TIAL

Does anyone know if save data transfers from a physical edition to a digital version of the game?
I've been renting a physical copy of Mario Tennis but now want to buy it digital.

Yeah, all saves are on the Switch, not the cart.

TIAL

Thanks, works perfectly!

Kelvin

That Enter the Gungeon update/DLC is out tmw, Bosto.

I'm actually quite excited about it. As alluded to in that recent thread, the game always felt on the cusp of being really good, but was hamstrung by a number of issues that will hopefully be ironed out with this update.

Good call, thanks for the reminder. I'll be keen to get back into that. It just never clicked with me anything near Isaac levels and I'd say that Wizard of Legend is much better game, albeit also rock hard and nowhere near Isaac. Sounds like they've taken a lot of time to listen and tweak.

Kelvin

It will never be Isaac good. It lacks the speed, the distinctive vision, and the variety of synergies.   

I do think it has the potential to be a really solid shooter, though. Even they admit the game was too hard. At a recent speed running event, a respected player literally couldn't finish it, because the run was too hard.

You're right, and the comparison really hasn't helped me get into the game on its own terms. That's interesting about the speed run! If it had more variety early on and allowed you to get more items to affect your build, rather than just different guns, I think it'd be much improved.

Consignia

If you haven't played the Wii U version, go for Toad. It's delightful. Although, I've heard playing in docked mode isn't great since it requires quite a bit of touching and the implementation without a touch screen is apparently lacking.

Hecate

Gungeon was great, the slower paced, more deliberate nuclear throne style combat was a refreshing change for twin stick shooter roguelites.

I found that the slower pace did hurt it's replay value though, I fired it up after one of the big content updates and just couldn't be arsed with it, I was all gungeoned out after 78 hours play time.

I reckon it's a brilliant game though, but if it doesn't click for you, then that's that.

I don't think it's too hard, I think the difficulty is one of it's strong points.