Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,474
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Kelvin on July 18, 2018, 12:01:20 PM
Doom does look repetitive, I honestly think I'd prefer Wolfenstein, despite the problems people have mentioned here before. Octopath looks good, but the grinding and combat might be a bit much for me after playing several long, slower paced games back to back. Captain Toad looks okay, but honestly interests me the least. Looks overly simple, and I wasn't particularly gripped by the demo.

Dunno, basically. Reckon its between Octopath and Wolfenstein. I'll also look up Immortal Redneck video on youtube, and see what I think.

I think Wolfenstein is even more repetitive than Doom in terms of gameplay and enemies. The level design is meant to be pretty average. The whole thing is supposedly best played for the story, which I heard is great fun, far out and pretty intense at times. I've seen some cut scenes and it looks pretty zany. I really really don't think it's going to be worth full price, though. Again, I know it's not exactly what you're looking for as it's online multiplayer but Paladins shits on any other FPS on the Switch. It's really good fun. Only shit thing is the cosmetic stuff and whoring out the store in the main menu.

Totally off-piste but have you ever played Lumines? That's just come out and it's a fantastic puzzle game with music/rhythm elements. The music is bloody brilliant and it's a very hypnotic game. Or, Just Shapes and Beats? Both would be a great change of pace and something very different, especially the latter.

Captain Toad is absolutely gorgeous and quite brilliant, by the way. It seems simple in concept but it's chock full of those little Nintendo surprises and moments that make you grin. I wasn't keen but a mate nagged me and I've just had a brilliant forty five minutes with it. If you didn't enjoy the demo at all though, I can't promise that the full game is radically different.

Kelvin

Quote from: Hecate on July 18, 2018, 10:52:38 PM
Gungeon was great, the slower paced, more deliberate nuclear throne style combat was a refreshing change for twin stick shooter roguelites.

I found that the slower pace did hurt it's replay value though, I fired it up after one of the big content updates and just couldn't be arsed with it, I was all gungeoned out after 78 hours play time.

I reckon it's a brilliant game though, but if it doesn't click for you, then that's that.

I don't think it's too hard, I think the difficulty is one of it's strong points.

Gungeon is one of the few games I've ever spent money on that I actually gave up on. Although I definitely got my money's worth, as my very stubborn friend insists we beat it, and so plays co-op with me every time he comes round.

I think me managed level 4 once, but the best moment was when we were desperate for guns before a boss, found a chest, bought a key, I died in the room before the chest, and then he opened it seconds later and I burst out in a hale if party poppers. He nearly screamed the place down, while I doubled over laughing.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 18, 2018, 11:01:18 PM
Totally off-piste but have you ever played Lumines? That's just come out and it's a fantastic puzzle game with music/rhythm elements.

Not played it, but I've heard such good stuff about it recently, that I've added if to my favourites list.

QuoteJst Shapes and Beats? Both would be a great change of pace and something very different, especially the latter.
I was singing the praises of this game on here before it came out. Loved the demos and trailers. Then the actual full game released, and I honestly felt like I'd already seen the best the game had to offer. I ended up scrubbing through entire longplays trying to find a few levels that impressed me, and I only saw 2 or 3 sequences that seemed truly imaginative. Plus, the music started to get on my tits.

To be honest, it's something that you have to play to get a feel for. I've made clips of the 'really exciting' moments and my 'mad skills' but it just looks like someone shining a laser pointer. It's not as good as Lumines though and if you find the music annoying (it's pretty of an ilk yeah) then shitcan defo.

madhair60

Captain Toad is beautiful and perfect. One of the very best Nintendo games of all time

Kelvin

Thanks for all the buying advice over the last couple of pages. I'm still trying to beat the insanely hard secret boss in Hollow Knight, and after that, I'll decide. 

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on July 19, 2018, 03:02:21 PM
Captain Toad is beautiful and perfect. One of the very best Nintendo games of all time
Agreed.

brat-sampson

I'm playing Octopath and I don't really mind random battles so i'm having a great time. Compared to classic SNES games the encounter rate is relatively low anyway I feel. The actual battle systems and questing is fun and the environments are sumptuous.

Z

Is there a reason captain toad has poorer reviews on the 3DS? I could get it for the 3DS or Wii U but I far prefer the 3DS to actually play on

Consignia

I tried the demo on the 3DS, and it felt more clunky. It might be a bit better on a New 3DS, with it's better 3D screen and second analog controller for the camera. But I played it on classic and found it harder to play compared to the Switch.

Content wise you are missing nothing, but I could appreciate it not feeling as good on the 3DS.

BritishHobo

Jesus how short is that?! I just spunked thirty-five quid on it and then hit the credits in under an hour. Fuck!

Twed

You hit the credits for the first story in the game.

Consignia

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 01, 2018, 02:23:18 PM
Jesus how short is that?! I just spunked thirty-five quid on it and then hit the credits in under an hour. Fuck!

Captain toad? That's just the first third, and it gets harder. Not that hard, but it'll take longer as you go though. Especially if you try to 3 star every level and do the bonus objective.

BritishHobo

It was a stupid fucking question really because I've seen all the Mario Odyssey stages in the advert but know I haven't played them yet.

South Park is under thirty quid on the eShop, which isn't too bad given how much it's going for in CEX.

madhair60

Just want to repeat myself. Captain Toad is fucking amazingly brilliant.

Kelvin

Smash Bros Direct coming on Wednesday the 8th.

I actually rolled my eyes involuntarily. What the frig.

It better have other stuff.

Bhazor

Quote from: Kelvin on August 05, 2018, 10:33:22 PM
Smash Bros Direct coming on Wednesday the 8th.

Oh fucks sake. Fucked it. All fuck eggs in one fuck basket this year.

Sebastian Cobb

A few of us stayed behind at work and played games on a wii u (8 player smash brothers, I didn't have a clue what was going on!) and one of these recently. Rocket League is good fun eh?

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 05, 2018, 10:58:39 PM
I actually rolled my eyes involuntarily. What the frig.

It better have other stuff.

It's not that unusual. They often do dedicated directs for an upcoming release.

Kelvin

You lot better start liking Smash Bros quick, because this apathy about it is making you look really silly.

madhair60

I hope they announce a playable Sword-wielding Anime.

Bhazor

Quote from: Kelvin on August 05, 2018, 11:29:16 PM
You lot better start liking Smash Bros quick, because this apathy about it is making you look really silly.

I like Smash. But they just spent 30 minutes of a 40 minute E3 presentation going over it in excruciating detail.

Consignia

There will have been people who will have been really excited to hear all that detail. But I can't believe it would psyche a siginficant number of people that dropping frame shield canceling* that would warrant it to be the centre piece of the E3 presentation. Most people just want to see Kirby twat Captain Falcon with a hammer.

*I'm making this up.

Kelvin

Yeah, I'm in the group that loves that stuff about smash bros (I listen to a 2 hour podcast about the game every week), but it was obviously a mistake to go into that level of detail in their E3 show.

This is an absurd amount of game and variety and 'content'. It's pretty insane. It's madness, to be honest. Grand Masturbation. I was pretty turned off going into this but I'm now fully aboard.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on August 08, 2018, 03:12:56 PM
This is an absurd amount of game and variety and 'content'. It's pretty insane. It's madness, to be honest. Grand Masturbation. I was pretty turned off going into this but I'm now fully aboard.

That was miles better than the E3 presentation.  If you had asked me to write a list of 10 dream inclusions for a Smash Bros game, I reckon 8 or 9 of them would have been covered in that direct. Five more characters, two of which I was desperate to be in the game; an insane amount of music (all remixed by famous game composers from across the industry); over 100 levels; modes that see the levels remixed, characters swap, or eliminated.

Masahiro Sakurai is a bit of a hero within the Nintendo fandom, due to his obsessive dedication to the Smash series - even above and beyond what you'd expect from a normal game director; he famously injured his hands from fine-tuning one of the games for hours on end. I really think he's outdone himself this time, though. The level of detail is absolutely crazy. 900 songs!   

I couldn't be happier.

madhair60

I've yet to watch this (I actually go to work unlike you fucks) but everything I'm hearing is fabulous.

The stage swap thing looks mental and 34 tracks for the one Castlevania stage is absurd. Love it.

Someone was saying that Ken may be announced as a Ryu echo fighter. If that happens, well, I'll probably play as Ken quite a bit.

Kelvin

Full credit to Nintendo for literally SHOWING THE CORPSE OF LUIGI