Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just put my fucking wall through.

I'm not complaining about the service for anyone asking or wondering, I'll champion the service to fuck to wind up cry baby's any day but the actual games are dog egg

madhair60

Smash your Switch to pieces with a hammer.

Just done it because I've got cloud saves now so I don't give a FUCK

Timothy

They didn't bother to update or change the button layouts on the NES games and don't give the option to change the button layouts yourself.

Bastards.

Mango Chimes

Why the fuck would you map the NES's A and B buttons to the Switch's X and A in handheld mode? Y and B are right there, in easy and natural reach, and are just dead buttons during play. Fucking mental.

Also, good grief the NES has a drab colour palette.

madhair60

Agreed, that is mad. I hope they'll patch it in.

Love this service otherwise.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on September 19, 2018, 07:46:59 AM
I am better than you. I am a better person. For the rest of my life I will look in the mirror and know that even though I am fat and ugly, at least I'm not literally completely insane wrt NES games.
haha fat uggo

Mango Chimes

Fucking hell, NES games are terrible. FULL VIRTUAL CONSOLE NOW.

Even SMB3 is shit now it turns out. NES CANCELED

Jobey

This NES thing is their first misstep.
Couldn't imagine playing any of them for more than 5 mins.
In other news, bought a pro controller. Nintendo fully extorted me in the end.

Phil_A

That is a dismal selection of games, just the same old first party titles they have already flogged to death over multiple systems, wheeled out yet again. The lack of decent third party titles is painfully obvious, and the slow roll-out they seem to have planned is not remotely encouraging.

Who honestly is going to pay for out this service to play NES Pro-Wrestling and Baseball in 2018? It's an absolute joke.

Kelvin

They know it's shit. They just don't want to give away anything valuable for £20. I honestly don't think they expect people to buy it for the NES games. I think it's just to add percieved value to the subscription.

I do wonder if this crap offer and the paltry collection of games will actually produce a more widespread reappraisal of 8-bit games, though. When you're paying monthly for them, and you feel like you should get your money's worth, I think people are going to be less tolerant of a five minute novelty.

Twed

Hopefully Nintendo will start being less greedy and understand that people want these games archived historically, not just curated for paid services. If they were smart, they would celebrate their place in gaming history by making the full official catalogue (with regional versions) available, canonically. People would pay to support it.

All this said, I just got my wife to play on the Switch for the first time since I got it. I have bought over three hundred games, probably two hundred and fifty worth playing. It took SMB3 and she was absolutely thrilled. Put on Odyssey after to show her where Mario is now and she said "wow, it's so cool...huh...he looks really cute.........where's the game?"

WHERE'S THE GAME?

EXACTLY.

Modern tutorial shit. Where's the fucking game? Who gives a cunt about Cappy or that shite? WHERE. 'S. THE. FUCKIN. GAME. SHE SAID.

Amen.

Phil_A

Haha, fucking hell. Someone has already gone and and figured that not only is Switch Online just running standard roms in the .nes format, it's very probably the same emulator as on the NES Classic.

That is almost impressively low-effort on Nintendo's part.

https://twitter.com/KapuccinoHeck/status/1042260716105998336

Why would they do anything else having already got it right?

Twed

Quote from: Phil_A on September 19, 2018, 09:57:13 PM
Haha, fucking hell. Someone has already gone and and figured that not only is Switch Online just running standard roms in the .nes format, it's very probably the same emulator as on the NES Classic.

That is almost impressively low-effort on Nintendo's part.

https://twitter.com/KapuccinoHeck/status/1042260716105998336
I don't think this is bad. The emulator is accurate, they don't need to go inventing a new ROM format at the risk of introducing bugs... I'd find it annoying if they re-developed things just to make it look brand new to reverse engineers.

It's annoying that they take from the emulation communities that they hate, but I think it's objectively better that they use a known format instead of something proprietary.

madhair60

Seriously, everyone shitting on the NES is fucking banned from CaB. Get the fuck out.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 19, 2018, 11:37:18 PM
Seriously, everyone shitting on the NES is fucking banned from CaB. Get the fuck out.

Shigsy?

madhair60

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Kelvin on September 19, 2018, 09:00:18 PMI do wonder if this crap offer and the paltry collection of games will actually produce a more widespread reappraisal of 8-bit games, though.

Playing these today, I felt like I was in that Limmy's Show sketch. Although in this case, my reaction might be specifically because I've got no real nostalgia for the NES – never had one – so they were just drab looking boring games with shitty controls. So I can play these or Splatoon 2. Splatoon 2, mate.

madhair60

Played last night and really enjoyed myself on Dr Mario, Gradius, Ice Hockey and DK. I hope we get Donkey Kong 3 soon.

Love retro games, me.

Push a button and the game says GOOD LAD and you would do a Youtubd video about its great.

madhair60

Yeah it really sucks that I like loads of things what a twat lol

Have you even plaitnum Bloodbourne??

Phil_A

Quote from: Twed on September 19, 2018, 10:10:31 PM
I don't think this is bad. The emulator is accurate, they don't need to go inventing a new ROM format at the risk of introducing bugs... I'd find it annoying if they re-developed things just to make it look brand new to reverse engineers.

It's annoying that they take from the emulation communities that they hate, but I think it's objectively better that they use a known format instead of something proprietary.

It'd not that ir's bad per say, it just comes across like a really slapdash, half-arsed way to launch a new service. Yeah just bung some roms on there mate, that'll do.

Twed

Anybody who didn't immediately World 1-1, World 1-2, World 4-1, World 4-2, World 8-1 through finish is a filthy casual.

All that empty space up the sides and they put the button prompts on the bottom of the fucking screen, preventing the image from filling the vertical space.

THANKS NINTENDO.

Twed

I love the fact they have a CRT filter overlaid with a bunch of fucking HD modern UI bullshit. Just like 1986, that.