Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,473
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Grim Fandango is great. I've played both on PC back in the day and half of the PS4 port and I thought that it worked fine with a controller, generally. It helps that it's 3d with tank controls rather than a traditional 2d point and click.

I imagine a Switch port would use the joycon as a mouse pointer anyway, surely.

Beagle 2

YouTube on Switch. We're through the looking glass here, people.

Bhazor

It only took 2 years. They're getting better at this so called internet thing.

Beagle 2

If you use Korg Gadget already on an iPad it's well worth getting it on Switch - you can now export tracks to the iOS version using a QR code. You might ask what the point of buying it twice is (and the Switch version is much stripped down) but it's really worth it for me just for the fact my Switch is always nearby and charged. It's excellent having it there as an option when none of my games are looking inspiring. I love Korg Gadget, but I guess there's not much point if you're only going to get this version as you can't export tracks in any other way.

I've hardly put my Switch down for the last few weeks. I just needed to invest my money wisely.

Mango Chimes

There's a demo of Monster Hunter so I've now played Monster Hunter and it appears to be total shit. I'm assuming it's another Dark Souls, where all the fans are "it doesn't matter that it looks and controls like shit, one you've put in 100 hours it's really addictive" and that is just not for me, Julia, not for me.

Any Big Fans of this here?

Nobody says that about Dark Souls because that's not in the slightest what it's like or why anyone enjoys it.

Nobody says that about Monster Hunter, either, for the same reason.

Any time you say anything about anything, you end up being wrong, so I don't hold it against you now.

That said, a demo for something like Monster Hunter is a laughable enterprise, doomed to fail. It doesn't even begin to explain what the game is. There's a thread on it, though. It's more akin to Destiny with Dark Souls style combat and with loads of planning and actual hunting and tracking monsters. It's one of the best games on the Switch.

Jobey

Gonna buy Civ VI despite never trying it before.
Looks boring but people bum it.

Bhazor

If they bring Xcom 2 to the Switch it might very well kill me.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Jobey on November 11, 2018, 12:56:54 PM
Gonna buy Civ VI despite never trying it before.
Looks boring but people bum it.

I've not played Civ since Civ, but I've had a hankering for some lolloping God Sim nonsense for a while, my computer isn't up to any new fangled stuff and all the mobile games seem to be microtransaction virtual currency infested dogshit. So Civ on Switch it is.

Ferris

Civ2 was one of the first games I played, like hours at a time, all-encompassing play. I can only find Civ3 now and it's shit in comparison.

Long story short - will Civ6 fix me as a human y/n?

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on November 11, 2018, 10:21:13 AM
There's a demo of Monster Hunter so I've now played Monster Hunter and it appears to be total shit. I'm assuming it's another Dark Souls, where all the fans are "it doesn't matter that it looks and controls like shit, one you've put in 100 hours it's really addictive" and that is just not for me, Julia, not for me.

Any Big Fans of this here?

I disagree with your assessment of Dark Souls. You don't need to put 10s of hours into it. Just long enough to get your head around (or look up) the poorly explained mechanics. After that it's brill.

However, the two games do share a lot of DNA, with boss creatures that take ages to kill, while you learn their tells and how to tackle them. Dark Souls is more about dying repeatedly and learning by repetition, whereas Monster Hunter is more about long battles of attrition, wearing each other down, weakening them, hacking off parts and tracking them across terrain.

It's a similar gameplay appeal, though. That sense of relief and pride when you finally take down a creature you've been fighting for ages. In my own experience, Monster Hunter provided an even greater satisfaction when you succeeded than Dark Souls.

The Nintendo MH games do feel very dated, though. Loading screens between small areas, ugly graphics, fiddly controls. The core gameplay is fun (although I haven't played this latest one, except for the demo), but there's a real need for these games to move on in certain QOL ways, even if they don't need to fully embrace the accessibility of World. A case of 'satisfying, with a but', rather than 'satisfying eventually'.

Twed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aZSpGwDJ4

What do you think; intentional or beautiful coincidence?

Mango Chimes

Either way, that's brilliant.

Thursday

Don't stop me now, would go with anything though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on November 12, 2018, 05:43:20 PM
Don't stop me now, would go with anything though.

Yeah, but it's wierd how the lyrics frequently match what's happening on screen- charizard flying past at 'burning through the sky', Captain Falcon flying off at 'travelling at the speed of light'.

Thursday

Yeah, I know the Sonic bit is just ridiculous.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 11, 2018, 10:44:33 AM
That said, a demo for something like Monster Hunter is a laughable enterprise, doomed to fail. It doesn't even begin to explain what the game is. There's a thread on it, though. It's more akin to Destiny with Dark Souls style combat and with loads of planning and actual hunting and tracking monsters. It's one of the best games on the Switch.

Nah. Not even in top 20. Especially compared to ps4 monster hunter.

Well, let's just say that if you prefer MHW, then you will likely have a low opinion of what is undoubtedly the better game.

Timothy

MHW is in all ways superior to the game on the Switch.

If you like a dumbed down version of Monster Hunter which takes all of the hunting out of the game, it's fine.

It's so obviously not superior to the Switch game in terms of sheer content and endgame play, you either misspoke, exaggerated or you don't know what you're talking about.

Mango Chimes

Which one has the most loading screens?

Switch one, that's what I meant by content.

Bhazor

The one good thing about the PC version of Monster Hunter World is that it essentially removed all load times. Still not as good as Tri though. Sigh.

Kelvin

Tri was fantastic. I'm actually slightly put off by the amount of Monsters in the Switch one. I feel like the game should be more about each monster feeling distinct and special, rather than just another one to be ticked off a long list.

Bhazor

Tri is the only Monster Hunter game I played until World and World left me cold. Monsters just felt like a cake walk. Beat Rathalos first time without carting. Now that aint on. I want to be experiencing existential dread from battling the same monster for 3 hours. In world though it feels like the monsters are using the same animations as the last generation but I'm moving at three times the speed. Meanwhile my pet cat is healing me every 20 seconds.

Intrigued if any of the other games keep the Tri feel. I want 25 minute slugging matches where one hit is death.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 12, 2018, 10:35:03 PM
If you like a dumbed down version of Monster Hunter which takes all of the hunting out of the game, it's fine.

It's so obviously not superior to the Switch game in terms of sheer content and endgame play, you either misspoke, exaggerated or you don't know what you're talking about.

I disagree. Switch game feels very less gen compared to MHW. Enjoyed that more.

They are all distinct and special, though. It's just got more than any other MH game. Is Street Fighter 4 better than Ultra Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition? No.

Quote from: Timothy on November 12, 2018, 11:04:42 PM
I disagree. Switch game feels very less gen compared to MHW. Enjoyed that more.

As I say, I don't begrudge you enjoying MHW, you like what you like and it's obviously much prettier and more accessible. It's also simplified and limited and plays itself in a number of ways and takes away a hell of a lot of the planning and hunting aspects and sacrifices a lot of depth with the gear and builds. A lot of people prefer Dark Souls 3 to Dark Souls because it's got better graphics and pacing and there are no unfinished areas. Also wrong.

Quote from: Bhazor on November 12, 2018, 11:00:35 PM
Tri is the only Monster Hunter game I played until World and World left me cold. Monsters just felt like a cake walk. Beat Rathalos first time without carting. Now that aint on. I want to be experiencing existential dread from battling the same monster for 3 hours. In world though it feels like the monsters are using the same animations as the last generation but I'm moving at three times the speed. Meanwhile my pet cat is healing me every 20 seconds.

Intrigued if any of the other games keep the Tri feel. I want 25 minute slugging matches where one hit is death.

You want MHGU.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 12, 2018, 11:12:57 PM
They are all distinct and special, though. It's just got more than any other MH game. Is Street Fighter 4 better than Ultra Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition? No.

As I say, I don't begrudge you enjoying MHW, you like what you like and it's obviously much prettier and more accessible. It's also simplified and limited and plays itself in a number of ways and takes away a lot of the planning and hunting aspects and sacrifices a lot of depth with the gear and builds. A lot of people prefer Dark Souls 3 to Dark Souls because it's got better graphics and pacing and there are no unfinished areas. Also wrong.

No. Not wrong. Just different then your opinion. Your opinion is just as subjective as mine and those of others. I just think MHW is superior.

Has anyone here played Mario Party? Worth a buy?

Fair enough. I'll bow out, no offence intended. Night all.