Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Sold Pokémon. Oversimplified remake of Yellow. Fights aren't fun because your Pokémon are all overpowered. Rather wait for the 2019 Poke RPG.

Bought Horizon Chase Turbo, a modernised Top Gear/Lotus Turbo Challenge. Absolutely fantastic once the difficulty ramps up toward the tail end of South Africa's cups, except that the game keeps crashing. Hard locks all the time. Avoid for now, but if they get it fixed it'll be a must have.

Mango Chimes

For all it's cheap shitness, I quite enjoy the demo of Fitness Boxing. If it were £20 I'd buy it, but forty's a bit steep.

Mango Chimes

I know everyone's playing Smash, but there's a Katamari Damacy demo available now. I've never played it before and the controls seem awkward as hell.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 06, 2018, 11:49:12 AM
If it were £20 I'd buy it, but forty's a bit steep.

This could be the loading screen for Switch eshop.

Ferris

Playing through West of Loathing now, feels halfway between an RPG and an old fashioned story game, the writing is quite funny and self-aware. Reminds me of the Monkey Island games, though obviously the art style is very different.

Enjoying so far!

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 06, 2018, 11:49:12 AM
For all it's cheap shitness, I quite enjoy the demo of Fitness Boxing. If it were £20 I'd buy it, but forty's a bit steep.

Are there any good fitness / Wii Sports type games? With the fancy joycons it seems like there should be.

Just go for a run you lazy cunt

buntyman

I've just bought a Switch, couldn't resist the Mario game any longer. Are there any other Switch games that are any good that didn't come out on the Wii U? Quite tempted by Fifa

Smash Bros Ultimate
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

All the rest are dogshit.

buntyman

Cheers, I bought xenoblade 2. Thought it might be good for a long flight I have coming up. Also bought Mario Odyssey, South park and doom and am tempted by a few of the games on the eshop. Anyone played that keep talking bomb game?

brat-sampson

Playing the new Monster Boy here and there. I haven't played Wonder Boy since right back in the ooooold days, but this still makes me feel a bit nostalgic. It doesn't go easy on you at the start, with the initial Pig form being pretty week, enemies doing solid damage and not many spell-resource drops, but puzzles are solid enough and tbh I'm really only just getting started. Visually it's an absolute treat and it plays smoothly. When I get further and unlock more forms I can only assume things get even wilder. I've passed numerous points where I didn't have the required ability to snag a secret and don't really know what's in store, but it looks like the game world will have me going back and forth a fair bit anyway.

Very solid so far, after 2-3 hours.

Quote from: buntyman on December 17, 2018, 05:58:58 PM
Cheers, I bought xenoblade 2. Thought it might be good for a long flight I have coming up. Also bought Mario Odyssey, South park and doom and am tempted by a few of the games on the eshop. Anyone played that keep talking bomb game?

Not my thing but seems to be an OK party game.

If you're into shmups, there are loads and loads of classic and modern belters. Danmaku Unlimited 3 is a really good entry level bullet hell for bugger all. Gunbird 2 is probably the peak of the Psikyo arcade classics, pretty tough but a lot of fun and very replayable. Ikaruga is blooming Ikaruga. All pretty cheap.

Other than that, Hollow Knight seems to be very popular and exceptional value, I just don't much like 2D stuff. It's a Metroidvania, very nice presentation, bit Souls-y. Speaking of which, Dark Souls is on there, very authentic version of my favourite game ever and it runs better than ever.

Lumines Remastered and Puyo Puyo Tetris are superb puzzle games. Like, absolutely brilliant.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate looks a bit dated as it's an upscaled 3DS game but it's probably the best MH game in terms of the original style. It's the best I've ever played, anyway. MH World didn't come to Switch and it's a bit shallow, in comparison. MHGU could last you hundreds of hours.

Undertale is actually pretty good despite all the people who like it and go on about it making you oil the old Gatling gun and mount it on your roof rack.

BritishHobo

Got The Binding of Isaac. That's me done, that is. Any hopes or ambitions I had, any projects I wanted to work on, ways to better my life, develop myself emotionally and creatively, build friendships. Nah. Isaac for me forever now.

Mango Chimes

Some fairly tempting discounts on the Christmas eShop sale.

madhair60

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 25, 2018, 06:01:06 PM
Got The Binding of Isaac. That's me done, that is. Any hopes or ambitions I had, any projects I wanted to work on, ways to better my life, develop myself emotionally and creatively, build friendships. Nah. Isaac for me forever now.

I escaped and so can you. All you need to do is 100% the entire game with all achievements

Mango Chimes

Civ 6 is a class A drug. Fucking hell.

Ferris

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 27, 2018, 03:22:12 PM
Civ 6 is a class A drug. Fucking hell.

Shit, is this on the switch?! Took me years to get clean of Civ2 and Civ3. I did Civ5 (though only at parties).

Surely after all these years, a dab of Civ6 won't hurt...

Twed

Why did Civ 6 get released so quietly?

madhair60

It's more civilised that way.

Twed

Mango Chimes

20% off on the eShop at the moment. A discount. Just for you, just to ease you back in. Sure, it can't harm you, can it? You're a responsible adult now. You've got a handle on things. Just dip in now and again. It's got a sleep state, the Switch, so you can just pop it on for a few minutes here and there, in between being productive. You'd be a fool not to. Wouldn't you?

Twed

I am genuinely angry at there being so many games I want to play. I need one every six months, max. Overcompensating for the fucking Wii U, and then they're like "here have remakes of all the best Wii U games too you fucks".

Timothy

Quote from: Twed on December 27, 2018, 03:45:23 PM
I am genuinely angry at there being so many games I want to play. Overcompensating for the fucking Wii U, and then they're like "here have remakes of all the best Wii U games too you fucks".

Haha, that's the exact opposite of how I think. Don't see how they're overcompensating for the Wii U considering the only good first party game they've released in the last few months were Mario Party and Smash. Most of the games they've released the last couple of months are games I've already played on Wii U, PC or PS4 so I don't have much to play on Switch. 

And if you look at the upcoming release list there's not much new coming in the next few months either.

Lee Van Cleef

Really want a Switch, but there are no good deals on it at the moment. I could get the Pokémon ltd version for £300, but it looks a bit simplistic and dull to me. Does anyone know any other deals that might be out there?

I'd wait for the January sales now. There haven't really been any great deals anyway because Nintendo tend not to reduce hardware that's selling well.

The new Pokemon game is pretty basic stuff, by the way. Unless you're an older lapsed fan or someone with lots of love and nostalgia for Pokemon Yellow, it's kind of boring.

In other news, the Switch has outsold the PS4 in Japan. Not this year. Ever. The Switch has now outsold the PS4 in half the time. CRUUUSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHED.

Timothy

Damn. Thats fast. Dont know if thats is good or bad news.

Release a new Zelda, a Smash and a Mario and you outsell the other consoles. Even though almost all other games are old remakes or ports, those three games are enough to sell the system.

madhair60

Good! That means we're going to get loads of sweet AAA games like Resi 2 Remake and Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Switch!

Right?

Oh! It's a port of a four-year-old indie game instead.

Timothy

Exactly. If you own a laptop, pc or PS4 and a WiiU the Switch is basically a remake system with a few new games here and there. And those stupid cartridges mean that the third party games will always cost more then on PS4 or PC.

Hope the Switch U has discs instead of cartridges.

You can actually get Assassin's Creed Odyssey on the Switch in Japan. Look on the Japanese eShop. You can't get it to work in this country but it actually exists, as does Resi 7.