Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Nintendo first party games take a colossal shit on any other first party games anywhere. The ports and indie shit are just a bonus.

Odyssey
BotW
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Smash

Imagine if Sony or MS or some bearded paedo making PC games came out with any of them. People would go fuckin s*****c.

Consignia

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 28, 2018, 10:27:51 AM
You can actually get Assassin's Creed Odyssey on the Switch in Japan. Look on the Japanese eShop. You can't get it to work in this country but it actually exists, as does Resi 7.

That's a streaming version, you'll need an internet connection at all times to play it.

I can't say I really miss any of the "AAA" games. They tend to be such grindy time sinks, that I don't have time for them these days. The ones I do play, I've got a PS4 which I can dip in to. But what's on the Switch really out weighs the few times that needs to happen.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 28, 2018, 10:32:22 AM
The Nintendo first party games take a colossal shit on any other first party games anywhere. The ports and indie shit are just a bonus.

Odyssey
BotW
Splatoon 2
ARMS

Nah.

Mario Oddysey was great but way too short and easy.
Zelda had a shit combat system, bad story and boring dungeons. Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War and even AC Odyssey are miles better.

Splatoon 2 and ARMS are both mediocre games. Absurd to ask full price for them.

Mario Rabbids was great though.

The Seitch os a great console for people that only own a Switch. If you have a PC, WiiU and/or PS4 then its not reallu worth the money imo.

madhair60

Splatoon 2 and ARMS are fucking toilet. Other three ace mind.

I do love my little Switch, though I buy more for it than I bother my arse playing. Still spend most of my game time on PS4/XB1.

I laughed.

I own a Switch, PS4 Pro, PSVR and One X. The Switch gets about ten times more play than any of the others, all of which are excellent in their own way.

That you consider Mario + Rabbids better than Splatoon or ARMS says a lot. That you think HZD is better than BotW says a lot.

I'm inclined to be generous and say something bland like 'to each his own' .

madhair60

Christ, I thought you were talking about me for a second and I was ready to leap through the monitor and fucking fight you.

Horizon Zero Dawn, better than BOTW. My fucking arse.

madhair60

I really just want the Switch to have a proper, exclusive shooter. TPS, FPS, I don't care. Metroid Prime 4 might scratch the itch but the others in that series weren't really "shooters" so to speak. I know there's Doom and Wolfenstein, but just... some new shooter. Even CoD. Get CoD on there for fuck's sake. I need my shootmans.

Lee Van Cleef

Shit. 15% off anything on eBay today... Code is POWPOW15.

Could get a switch with Zelda or Mario for around £275. Could get the limited edition Smash switch for £260-ish.

Tell yourself no, Cleef.

Timothy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 28, 2018, 11:21:01 AM
I laughed.

I own a Switch, PS4 Pro, PSVR and One X. The Switch gets about ten times more play than any of the others, all of which are excellent in their own way.

That you consider Mario + Rabbids better than Splatoon or ARMS says a lot. That you think HZD is better than BotW says a lot.

I'm inclined to be generous and say something bland like 'to each his own' .

Mario and Rabbids is a great Xcom like game. Arms is a poor fighting game that nearly nobody plays. Splatoon was alright until Nintendo Online killed its servers.

And yes. Hzd is better then Zelda. Zelda is a generic open world simulator with the Zelda name on it to make sure it sells. Theres nothing remotely Zelda about it.
The story was bland and almost non existent. There were like three or four different enemies? The dungeons were easy and bad. The weapon breaking sucked. Parts of the world had huge framedrops. The only good thing about Zelda were the Shrines and even those got recycled halfway through. Not to mention the Ubisoft Towers. All sidequests were fetch missions. The first three hours were amazing. After that it got really boring really fast.

Meanwhile HZD had excellent combat, an interesting story and good sidequests.

If Zelda had been named Ken: Breath of the Wild and released on Xbox then people would have shat all over it.
I really really dont get the praise for Zelda.

madhair60

It took me a while to click with Zelda, but it's the most breathtaking emergent open world I've played. It doesn't even really feel like "open world" in the understood sense, it feels freewheeling. There's no time where I'm not heading towards some objective, or discovering some new way to interact with something familiar. I played hours and hours on Wii U, got it for Switch then played hours and hours on that without ever feeling like I was repeating myself.

HZD's story and characters made me want to slit my own throat, honestly. I've been considering giving it another go now that it's cheap, but it just felt so rudimentary. The "stealth" is a joke, you can see where the enemies are gonna walk! It was the same in Spider-Man, it fucking tells you when it's safe to stealth KO someone! NO KNOWING THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF STEALTH!! IT IS THE SINGULAR SOURCE OF TENSION

I gotta say guys to each his own

Lee Van Cleef

Fuck. Ordered the Diablo 3 switch. £285 bones.

Bad Cleef.

Great decision.

Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2 and
Smash Bros Ultimate are absolutely amazing games. Beyond that, it's down to taste and preference but there are shit loads of brilliant games on the system.

Timothy

I would swap Splatoon with Mario Kart Deluxe.

And don't buy Nintendo Online. It's dreadful. Not worth the money until they fix it.

Great call to add Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to the list. I forgot it.

Do get Nintendo Online unless you would prefer twenty quid in your pocket and no online gaming because there's nothing to fix.

Timothy

It's laggy, sometimes unresponsive. It's exactly the same as it was when it was free. They didn't do anything to make the service better.
Don't pay 20 pounds for absolutely nothing. Don't reward them for doing nothing.

You're uninformed, basically. They always said they would be charging for the online service, they just extended the 'free' period so if you got a Switch day one, you got eighteen months essentially for nothing. They never claimed to be upgrading it or anything once it became a paid service, that's just entitled gamer talk. They said they would throw in some NES shit, which they did.

I've had virtually no issues with lag or unresponsiveness with BT Infinity. I also use a LAN cable as I do for the XB and PS4. Most of the complaints have been from Americans because Internet over there is very variable and shite for many people in the sticks. I've had virtually no issues ever. I played about thirty 1v1 games of Smash earlier today, no lag at all.

Again, it's twenty quid a year to play online. If you can't justify that, you shouldn't be wasting your money on video games.

Timothy

Its not entitled to expect a good working service for money. And putting cloud saves behind a paywall is just extremely greedy and customer unfriendly. I dont want to use a LAN cable for a portable device. That makes no sense imo.

Its not that I cant afford it. I dont want to reward Nintendo with money for such a bad service.

Sorry if I was rude. We just have a different opinion. Cheers

Timothy

No worries! You werent rude at all. Just have a different opinion and thats alright.

Have to say that I enjoy our difference view on things because it makes you look at games etc differently. Like our RDR discussion yesterday.

Mango Chimes

The whole Nintendo Switch Online thing is bit of a cunt's trick, but a cunt's trick learned from the other cunts who charge more. Nintendo did all generations of DS, Wii and Wii U and a chunk of Switch online for free, whilst Microsoft popularised charging for the privilege. Gamer idiots love paying subscription costs.

So it's a begrudging purchase for me, but from single purchases of Splatoon and Splatoon 2 I've had years worth of bountiful free updates and at something like £1.50 a month I can justify it to keep playing.

Bazooka

I was very close to buying a Switch during my current Christmas visit in the UK, but a miracle strike of self control kicked in and I didn't go ahead. Have little time to play the back catalogue of 3DS and PS4 games I have, as with the Wii U I'll let it simmer for a couple more years and then mop up.

Timothy

Quote from: Mango Chimes on December 29, 2018, 12:00:46 AM
The whole Nintendo Switch Online thing is bit of a cunt's trick, but a cunt's trick learned from the other cunts who charge more. Nintendo did all generations of DS, Wii and Wii U and a chunk of Switch online for free, whilst Microsoft popularised charging for the privilege. Gamer idiots love paying subscription costs.

So it's a begrudging purchase for me, but from single purchases of Splatoon and Splatoon 2 I've had years worth of bountiful free updates and at something like £1.50 a month I can justify it to keep playing.

Agree, but the fact that Nintendo is the only one of them who put cloud saves behind a paywall is a bit iffy for me. Especially considering thats the only way to back up your saves even though the thing has a bloody sd slot. Thats a really really shitty and customer unfriendly move.

It is, but many think it's because they got absolutely buggered by piracy with the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U. They could still offer cloud saves for free, you're right. Worse is that not all games even have cloud saves so when I do get a Switch Pro or whatever, my Splatoon 2 save won't be coming over with me.

Jobey

Got Nintendo online week trial.
That NES emulator thing is a pile of wank.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 29, 2018, 10:09:54 AM
It is, but many think it's because they got absolutely buggered by piracy with the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U. They could still offer cloud saves for free, you're right. Worse is that not all games even have cloud saves so when I do get a Switch Pro or whatever, my Splatoon 2 save won't be coming over with me.

They didn't get buggered by piracy – DS and Wii were money factories. I think it's just an artificial sweetner for the cost, like the shit NES games – they probably focus grouped people "Okay, we're going to charge for a thing you already have. What don't you have that might make you less angry about chipping in?"

The Splatoon thing is extremely poor. They can't be bothered coding it in a way that prevents people doing stuff and then reloading their saves, so they're just not allowing any saves?

The R4 cart industry alone made a lot of people a lot of money, from what I heard.

I owned a Wii day one in China and never bought a single retail game. I owned hundreds.

I'm not saying they didn't absolutely coin it with those systems, just that they were massively exploited by piracy at the same time.

And yeah, that's the sum of it with Splatoon.

buntyman

Yoku's Island express has been my favourite game on the switch so far. Pretty cheap on the eshop at the moment. Is everyone here on top of the region fiddling thing to get cheaper downloads?

Mango Chimes

Quote from: buntyman on December 29, 2018, 08:27:08 PM
Yoku's Island express has been my favourite game on the switch so far. Pretty cheap on the eshop at the moment.

I'm irrationally against that game despite knowing nothing about it, only because every time I see it I think it says Yoshi's Island.

Civ 6 really struggles to keep going once you get to the later years with lots of shit going on. The lag on pressing a button to bring up a menu is a good few seconds.

Lee Van Cleef

Played through 2 zones in Mario Odyssey. Holy shit this game is good.