Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

People here better not be sleeping on Monster Boy. It's a very solid Metroidvania with a gorgeous artstyle, tough difficulty, clever puzzles and buckets of charm. Only thing I don't like is scarcity of Full Heal save-stations, meaning I'll often reset with only 3 hearts and be basically fucked as health items are relatively rare. I'm still making progress every time I play though, and I'm not even that good at games. Some very satisfying platforming sections where you're changing forms to deal with obstacle sequences, and lots of that design where you think you've found some cool tricky optional side-task but nope, that's *exactly* what the game wanted you to do to even progress.

Consignia

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 06, 2019, 03:58:04 PM
People here better not be sleeping on Monster Boy.

Certainly looking to pick it up in the future. Just finishing off some other games first, but it looks ace.

madhair60

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 06, 2019, 03:58:04 PM
People here better not be sleeping on Monster Boy. It's a very solid Metroidvania with a gorgeous artstyle, tough difficulty, clever puzzles and buckets of charm. Only thing I don't like is scarcity of Full Heal save-stations, meaning I'll often reset with only 3 hearts and be basically fucked as health items are relatively rare. I'm still making progress every time I play though, and I'm not even that good at games. Some very satisfying platforming sections where you're changing forms to deal with obstacle sequences, and lots of that design where you think you've found some cool tricky optional side-task but nope, that's *exactly* what the game wanted you to do to even progress.

I bought it the other week and I'm enormously disappointed with it. It's boring as fuck.

Pdine

Realised today that what I really want is a Switch version of Rodland.

Mango Chimes

It's so cute you'll puke!

I took Buntyman's recommendation and downloaded Yoshi's Island Yoku's Island Express as it has a free demo. It's a beautiful wee thing, and the platformer/pinballer think is inventive. Not sure it wouldn't wear a bit thin.

Civ 6 update: it's weird/shit it keeps no record of your achievements. And it's also weird it seems pretty easy (I started on the default and got a Cultural victory early, bumped it to Emperor and did the Science one without too much trouble, and am now having no trouble doing the Polish Scenario on Deity.)

madhair60

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe this week! Hooray!

Oh! They've made it so that in 3 or 4 player multi, one or two players have to be Nabbit or Peachette, two overpowered "cheat" characters.

Oh! They've removed the extremely fun Challenge mode from the Wii U original.

Do Nintendo have a brain in their head?

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on January 09, 2019, 01:21:18 PM
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe this week! Hooray!

Oh! They've made it so that in 3 or 4 player multi, one or two players have to be Nabbit or Peachette, two overpowered "cheat" characters.

Oh! They've removed the extremely fun Challenge mode from the Wii U original.

Do Nintendo have a brain in their head?

Yes its called a money making brain.

brat-sampson

?
This article sings the praises of the Wii U games, and gives the challenge mode special mention. Would be weird if they just forgot to mention they removed it...

EDIT: Read another review where it says they have removed the Boost Mode challenges, because they needed the gamepad to work.

madhair60

I hope I'm wrong about Challenge Mode being removed

Timothy

Quote from: madhair60 on January 09, 2019, 02:41:12 PM
I hope I'm wrong about Challenge Mode being removed

Polygon says they removed it due to touch screen issues.

QuoteBoost Mode isn't available because of the Switch's touch-screen limitations. And there aren't new stages — at least I never unlocked any during my play time.

brat-sampson

Boost mode is not the same as challenge mode. The rest of the challenges are all still there.

Timothy

Ah ok.

I could get it for 30 euros but wouldn't pay a euro more then that. Those remastered games are way too expensive.

BritishHobo

Shit game shit series anyway

Kelvin

Yeah, I've said it before, but it bears repeating; this New Super Mario Bros game is really, really unimpressive. Just very unambitious level design wrapped in a soulless phone game aesthetic, and accompanied by shit music.

There's not an original or interesting idea in the entire game, even compared to other entries in the New Super Mario series. It took me about 6 months to finish on Wii U, because I kept dropping it to play something else. Not a game I can recommend. 

Consignia

Odd they are charging full price for it too. It was a game that was heavily discounted on the Wii U. It's one that would probably do amazing at Captain Toad prices, but it just doesn't that easy to justify the premimum for. I'd love for Mario Maker to make the jump to Switch, though. Even though there's a lot of trash in the user levels, it's just a great game to flick on for a minutes to a get 2D Mario hit.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Consignia on January 12, 2019, 03:58:58 PM
Odd they are charging full price for it too. It was a game that was heavily discounted on the Wii U. It's one that would probably do amazing at Captain Toad prices, but it just doesn't that easy to justify the premimum for. I'd love for Mario Maker to make the jump to Switch, though. Even though there's a lot of trash in the user levels, it's just a great game to flick on for a minutes to a get 2D Mario hit.

It has to at some point. Although it is kind of fundamentally broken – the hard user levels are unfair impossible joyless nightmares, whilst the easy ones are either nothing at all or those auto levels where you just hold right and it plays a tune or whatever. One of the big things it demonstrates is that there is a lot of skill in the level design of even the relatively uninspired NSMB games.

That said, would still be all over one which somehow included 3D Mario. Or Yoshi's Island.

Twed

And you you all love Dark Souls, the only game browner than your underwear.

Timothy

I really enjoyed SMB so I got it again. Traded Smash in and got some money back. Good deal.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on January 12, 2019, 04:18:34 PM
And you you all love Dark Souls, the only game browner than your underwear.

Dark Souls has beautiful art design. If the colour palette compliments the art, it doesn't matter that it uses more subdued colours.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on January 12, 2019, 04:18:27 PM
It has to at some point. Although it is kind of fundamentally broken – the hard user levels are unfair impossible joyless nightmares, whilst the easy ones are either nothing at all or those auto levels where you just hold right and it plays a tune or whatever. One of the big things it demonstrates is that there is a lot of skill in the level design of even the relatively uninspired NSMB games.

That said, would still be all over one which somehow included 3D Mario. Or Yoshi's Island.

The levels in NSMB aren't badly designed. It's not a bad game. It's just the Thor 2 of videogame design; competent, but very dull, safe and lacking in new ideas.

Timothy

For me that was Smash. Tried it a couple of weeks but it ultimately felt quite dull. Not my kind of game.

Meanwhile I have been playing NSMB and been having a blast. Really happy I bought it. The Luigi levels are also great.

Also bought Vesperia but traded that in for the PS4 version. To many framedrops.

Anyone gonna buy Travis? Seems cool but expensive!!!!

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on January 12, 2019, 08:47:29 PM
Anyone gonna buy Travis? Seems cool but expensive!!!!

Travis Strikes Again? Depends on the reviews. I've not liked anything I've seen so far, but I did really like the first two games, especially the original, and I'd like to see this do well enough for them to make a proper sequel. 

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on January 12, 2019, 08:39:36 PM
Dark Souls has beautiful art design. If the colour palette compliments the art, it doesn't matter that it uses more subdued colours.
Yeah it looks like an never ending world of farts that achieved their ultimate goal of graduating to solid turds, though.

madhair60

Three people playing NSMBU, laughing, joking, fucking each other over, having fun, huge grins.

Kelvin, with his arms folded: This level design leaves a lot to be desired

madhair60

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 12, 2019, 03:39:43 PM
Shit game shit series anyway

Quote from: Kelvin on January 12, 2019, 03:47:32 PM
Yeah, I've said it before, but it bears repeating; this New Super Mario Bros game is really, really unimpressive. Just very unambitious level design wrapped in a soulless phone game aesthetic, and accompanied by shit music.

There's not an original or interesting idea in the entire game, even compared to other entries in the New Super Mario series. It took me about 6 months to finish on Wii U, because I kept dropping it to play something else. Not a game I can recommend.

Shut up

madhair60

Seriously unimpressed with this shit.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on January 13, 2019, 02:26:38 PM
Three people playing NSMBU, laughing, joking, fucking each other over, having fun, huge grins.

Kelvin, with his arms folded: This level design leaves a lot to be desired

I played through both the Wii NSMB game and Super Mario 3D World with the same three friends and we had a great time. I'm sure NSMB Wii u/switch would be fun that way, too.

I'm also sure eating shit would be more entertaining with 3 friends laughing and goofing around while you did it.

Twed

I post this with the proviso that I haven't verified it at all:

https://twitter.com/KapuccinoHeck/status/1084281635586146304

List of SNES games planned for Nintendo Online

BritishHobo

I also had a good time playing New Super Mario Bros U with some friends despite the fact that it is TOTAL SHIT.

Rayman Origins pissed New Super Mario 3D Land up the wall, and no New Super Mario game before or since has come anywhere near it. Shit franchise. Oh let's take Mario and do all the same shit again but also make it really really fucking ugly.

madhair60

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 13, 2019, 09:25:28 PM
I also had a good time playing New Super Mario Bros U with some friends despite the fact that it is TOTAL SHIT.

Rayman Origins pissed New Super Mario 3D Land up the wall, and no New Super Mario game before or since has come anywhere near it. Shit franchise. Oh let's take Mario and do all the same shit again but also make it really really fucking ugly.

jesus.