Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:48:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

NSMB U is a better game then Smash Ultimate.

Dont buy Tales of Vesperia on Switch. Buggy framedroppy remaster.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on January 14, 2019, 08:51:38 AM
NSMB U is a better game then Smash Ultimate.

That's an odd, some might say hot, take. The games are very, very different. One is primarily intended as a single player, the other primarily intended for multiplayer.

NSMB is indeed better in single player than World of Light in Smash, but then WoL is really not very good, so that's not actually saying much.

By comparison, Smash is a huge, varied multiplayer with insane numbers of options, and containing, for those that pursue it, considerable depth.

I would never recommend Smash for the solo play, but nor could I really recommend NSMB for it's single player, which in that context, is far more damning. If nothing else, Smash oozes devotion, care and an obsession with the details. NSMB oozes complacency.

Beagle 2

I'll be geting NSMBUD, but in fairness it does look like absolute shit. You would just expect more from Nintendo.

The only other new super mario bros game I've played is the original back on the DS and it was really quite a boring game that I didn't even bother finishing. Just seemed like Mario with all the charm surgically removed.

So in summary, absolutely buzzing for this £50 purchase.

madhair60

NSMBUDX is a top-tier 2D Mario game. Taking off nostalgia goggles, it's got the most accomplished level design in the series, the most secrets, the most levels. It's absolutely brilliant and I am consistently confused by everyone shitting on it.

Timothy

Quote from: madhair60 on January 14, 2019, 03:21:58 PM
NSMBUDX is a top-tier 2D Mario game. Taking off nostalgia goggles, it's got the most accomplished level design in the series, the most secrets, the most levels. It's absolutely brilliant and I am consistently confused by everyone shitting on it.

Same here.

I enjoyed playing this game a lot on the wii and wiiu although I always felt the graphics and music are charmless. This rerelease is disappointing to me and I hope that a new 2d Mario platformer is in the works with a very different approach to presentation.

It's not top tier nor absolute shit, much as it is very very boring to write a post pointing this out.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on January 14, 2019, 03:21:58 PM

I just think it's a fundamentally boring, soulless game - especially when you look at some of the more interesting, unexpected level design in Mario Maker, or the degree of ambition on display in every 3D Mario.

NSMB feels like the game Nintendo would make if you put a gun to their collective heads and said, "right, make a pretty good Mario game".

madhair60

What a fucking bizarre line of criticism this is, honestly. "Soulless". That literally means nothing. I'm bowing out.

Kelvin

Beagle 2

Quote from: madhair60 on January 14, 2019, 08:10:02 PM
What a fucking bizarre line of criticism this is, honestly. "Soulless". That literally means nothing. I'm bowing out.

Yeah when I say it looks like shit I just mean visually. I'm yet to play it. But soulless is the word, the way it looks reminds me of when you watch old tom and jerry cartoons and it immediately looks a bit off and think "Ah, not a proper one then".

I tend to agree with you about all things Mario though so you have raised my hopes!

colacentral

It's mad that Super Mario 1-3, the Mario Lands, Mario World, and the 3D Marios are all distinct from each other, but then for the "New" series they've just made the same game over and over. Why bother? That ground theme goes through me now after hearing it so much.

Goes without saying but the title is the most annoying thing. Not going to be new forever, is it? Even that is obnoxiously lazy.

Twed

Because the idea of never making more of anything because it won't fulfill somebody's spec for relentless invention at all times is stupid.

colacentral

Quote from: Twed on January 15, 2019, 01:22:05 AM
Because the idea of never making more of anything because it won't fulfill somebody's spec for relentless invention at all times is stupid.

You know what's really stupid? That post.

Twed

Obviously the game is essentially just more content, but that's what a lot of people want and you could easily just play a different game instead of doggedly sticking to the crap point that all media must be on the cutting edge of innovation.

colacentral

Who said "the cutting edge of innovation"? Some new sprites / character designs, some new music, side things like the Toad Houses from 3, a new central character - things like that to mark them apart from each other would suffice. Granted there are things like an odd new power-up here and there but it's the bare minimum.

Yoshi's Woolly World is better.

madhair60

Quote from: colacentral on January 15, 2019, 03:46:41 AM
Who said "the cutting edge of innovation"? Some new sprites / character designs, some new music, side things like the Toad Houses from 3, a new central character - things like that to mark them apart from each other would suffice.

Literally all of those things are introduced throughout the series.

Kelvin

Gamexplain have done a brilliant and constructive breakdown of ways NSMB could learn from Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, which really demonstrates my (admittedly vague) 'soulless' comment, with a series of explicit comparisons.

I can't post it right now, as i'm on my phone, but even though I actually prefer how the characters control in NSMB, that video really highlights what I mean by the series lacking ideas, personality, ambition, etc. Not just in obvious ways, but in very basic level design ways, as well. I'll post it up later.

madhair60

Weird, because DKTF is a staid retread of the Wii's genuinely surprising Returns, with inferior levels that are far too long, playable partner characters that add nothing but longeurs and forced level replays for completion, and truly awful time-consuming boss battles.

On the flip, we have NSMBU, content not to reinvent the wheel and instead provide, well, a fucking good wheel.

Takes all sorts.

Timothy

Yeah. Donkey Kong was quite a mediocre / alright game in the DK series. Meanwhile NSMBU is a solid Mario game.

Still want Mario Maker to come to Switch though.

Had a long discussion with my mates about Smash yesterday. They thought it was brilliant. I still think it's quite a bad game.  They argued that it's a good fighting game, and it is. But still those perfect grades.... I don't get it. Yeah the soundtrack is good. The roster is fun. The gameplay is good. But that's it. The awful World of Light mode, the laggy online, the input lag with the controllers, the bad and boring adventure mode (that platforming bit and the credits.... ughhh). All the modes surrounding the fighting don't work properly or are dull. It makes the whole game less fun.
DBZ Fighterz is a better game.

colacentral

I rarely get lag online.

You said you don't use a LAN cable - well, what do you expect then with an absurdly fast-paced fighting game? I must have played between 300 - 400 games online at this point and of those, a dozen or so would have had lagginess severe enough to be annoying, no doubt caused by the other players' shite connection.

As far as perfect scores for Smash - it's a perfect fighting game. I mostly play online 1v1 with items turned off and have probably exceeded the amount of hours I put into Mario Odyssey.

The single player is serviceable and fun in short bursts - hard to complain about Classic Mode when for each character it lasts about 10 minutes. You have things like Century Smash, Cruel Smash, custom games against the CPU if you want with hundreds of variable rules. World of Light is overly long and tedious but on an individual fight to fight basis the content is decent. The single player for me is just a way to take a break from the stress of playing online / to try out a new character for a bit, or see if I can unlock new music etc.

The character list is not just huge but well-balanced; many characters offering a unique playstyle which is fun to learn and mess about with. For example, I struggle to win many games with Pac-Man but he's such a quirky character with his own unique tricks to master that I still keep coming back to him and having fun. Bowser's actually good, and all the heavies feel different from each other. Mega Man is unique and your games will feel different playing with him. It's insane how good this roster is.

If you don't play "seriously" ie without items and hazards turned off, against other people who practice the game, then yeah, you'll not get much out of it. You could say that about every fighting game.

colacentral

While I'm on the subject though, one thing that pisses me off about Smash online is the level selection. The custom options are "Hazards Off All" (or whatever), "Battlefield," and "Omega." I was playing Battlefield for the longest time because it's the most fair, you have platforms and you know you're not going to get bullshit like scrolling levels etc, but after a while I was getting bored of the exact same level layout and size, and it was leading to me feeling burned out and playing worse. So I gave "All" a try for a bit, in the hopes that I'd get a variety of stages and hopefully get more good than bad.

It worked for a while, until I started playing in the early hours of the morning, when only the sad cunts like me were still playing, and every stage was set to flat / Omega. This is obviously in the preferences of wankers because having no platforms means it's that much easier to spam moves on certain characters, get lots of unavoidable juggles if you try to dodge etc. A cunt's trick, basically. I rematched with several people knowing I'd beat them on a regular stage but it kept coming up Omega, over and over again.

Then I realised: the game registers my preference of "All" as "I have no preference," so gives priority to the Omega cunt. What the fuck's that? I'm not saying "no preference," I'm saying "my preference is a random selection of all stages." I've had to go back to Battlefield now just to avoid strings of defeats to twats who can't play.

I don't see any reason why you can't just select a list of stages which you deem to be acceptable and have the game randomly pick between your list of stages and the other players'. It's mad that they can put so much thought and effort into a game but then get something like that so infuriatingly wrong.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on January 15, 2019, 01:44:40 PM
Weird, because DKTF is a staid retread of the Wii's genuinely surprising Returns, with inferior levels that are far too long, playable partner characters that add nothing but longeurs and forced level replays for completion, and truly awful time-consuming boss battles.

On the flip, we have NSMBU, content not to reinvent the wheel and instead provide, well, a fucking good wheel.

Takes all sorts.

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORdCuz2vtE

For what it's worth, I actually think DK: Tropical Freeze is a very good, but not quite great platformer, and I prefer how NSMB feels to control. However, I basically agree with almost all the things they point out in this video, and think it basically sums up why NSMB falls short and feels so boring, imo. Donkey Kong "feels" slightly off, but does all this stuff really well, whereas NSMB feels really good to control (on Wii U), but just lacked the care that was so obviously poured into DKTF.   

I'll drop the topic now, as we're just repeating ourselves, but I thought this video really captured what I've been trying to say over the last few pages, with the advantage of direct video comparisons. 

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on January 15, 2019, 02:13:40 PM
Yeah. Donkey Kong was quite a mediocre / alright game in the DK series. Meanwhile NSMBU is a solid Mario game.

Still want Mario Maker to come to Switch though.

Had a long discussion with my mates about Smash yesterday. They thought it was brilliant. I still think it's quite a bad game.  They argued that it's a good fighting game, and it is. But still those perfect grades.... I don't get it. Yeah the soundtrack is good. The roster is fun. The gameplay is good. But that's it. The awful World of Light mode, the laggy online, the input lag with the controllers, the bad and boring adventure mode (that platforming bit and the credits.... ughhh). All the modes surrounding the fighting don't work properly or are dull. It makes the whole game less fun.
DBZ Fighterz is a better game.

I honestly think that it's one of those games where enjoyment depends fundamentally on how you play it. Played multiplayer, with one or more friends, I honestly think the game is near perfect. Just an insane amount of options, and yet still extremely well balanced.

However, played solo, especially for sustained periods of anything longer than about 15 minutes, the game is just a boring slog. I would never, ever recommend the game to anyone as a single player experience, but personally, and presumably like most of the reviewers, I've always viewed Smash first and foremost as a multiplayer series, like Mario Kart, but with a single player mode to add a bit of value and give you extra content to dip into.

Just as Mario Kart's single-player is incredibly bare bones and frustrating, but 90% of people buy it for the multiplayer, I feel the same is true of Smash. All those people you see praising the game are talking - presumably - about the incredible fun they've had with friends, and the scores and buzz and enthusiasm are all weighted accordingly to that multiplayer focus.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on January 15, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORdCuz2vtE

For what it's worth, I actually think DK: Tropical Freeze is a very good, but not quite great platformer, and I prefer how NSMB feels to control. However, I basically agree with almost all the things they point out in this video, and think it basically sums up why NSMB falls short and feels so boring, imo. Donkey Kong "feels" slightly off, but does all this stuff really well, whereas NSMB feels really good to control (on Wii U), but just lacked the care that was so obviously poured into DKTF.   

I'll drop the topic now, as we're just repeating ourselves, but I thought this video really captured what I've been trying to say over the last few pages, with the advantage of direct video comparisons.

Watching now. Dis ain't ovah. ;)

Garam

I downloaded both Gris and Everything and have to say they're both very special and well worth the money. Gris in particular almost left me a nervous wreck by the end. Goddamn.

madhair60

Metroid Prime 4 has been cancelled.

Timothy

Quote from: madhair60 on January 25, 2019, 01:07:18 PM

Delayed. They will start all over again making it. Don't see this coming to Switch.

madhair60

Industry lingo for "cancelled".

Mango Chimes

Quote from: madhair60 on January 25, 2019, 01:07:18 PM

What did she say? Can she walk it back?

Twed