Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Twed

I'm going to Google that phrase in a week and find the other forums you post on and build a profile on you and eventually eat your skin.

Kelvin

Retro are taking over again, which is brilliant news. Massive shame about the years it will delay things, though.

Must be bad for them to dump the original team entirely, though. I can't think of the last time that happened at Nintendo. Bandai must have really fucked up.

Kelvin

Their apology video, fronted by the Head of Development:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So

I've never known them to be so open and public about a game not being good enough. At least they seem to give a shit about a series they make relatively little money on.

Twed

Nintendo is the only good corporation

And for some reason also the one people criticise the most

Consignia

Quote from: Twed on January 25, 2019, 03:52:56 PM
I'm going to Google that phrase in a week and find the other forums you post on and build a profile on you and eventually eat your skin.

!!!

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on January 25, 2019, 07:42:21 PM
Nintendo is the only good corporation

And for some reason also the one people criticise the most

Nah, they aren't "good". Their corporate side is plenty greedy and arrogant. They just approach things in a very different and unpredictable way, compared to most western corporations. That video certainly stands in stark contrast to the way a company like EA handles their mistakes.

Twed

Quote from: Consignia on January 25, 2019, 07:49:16 PM

!!!
Did those fuckers say it before or after me? I'm tooling up

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on January 25, 2019, 08:40:41 PM
Nah, they aren't "good". Their corporate side is plenty greedy and arrogant. They just approach things in a very different and unpredictable way, compared to most western corporations. That video certainly stands in stark contrast to the way a company like EA handles their mistakes.
I didn't mean it and also agree. I think they are good artistically compared to most Western companies at least.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Kelvin on January 25, 2019, 07:39:36 PM
Their apology video, fronted by the Head of Development:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIv_UXI_So

I've never known them to be so open and public about a game not being good enough. At least they seem to give a shit about a series they make relatively little money on.

Seppuku or nothing.

Twed

BritishHobo

The Binding of Isaac has ruined my life yet again. Whole first month of the year, pissed away.

Beagle 2

I fancy playing a light, explory sort of 3D platformer. I feel like there must be more options than Mario and the reportedly quite shit Yooka-Laylee. Anything I'm missing?

Fe or Rime might float your boat. Both pretty, mechanically pretty simple, explore, do some puzzles.

As a different recommendation, I've really loved Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. It's a very lite Metroidvania which probably has more in common with Dark Souls, lots of loops and shortcuts. For a 2D pixel art game, it really does stand out as particularly beautiful and the soundtrack is my favourite of the year so far, very deep emotional ambient stuff. Combat is really good, similar feel to Dead Cells, bosses better than Dead Cells, little power ups like Hollow Knight but much more generously dished out. It's a great little game. Concise, varied, generous, full of personality.

Overall Rating: Ten atomic wanks.

Daniel

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 29, 2019, 06:54:25 PM
I fancy playing a light, explory sort of 3D platformer. I feel like there must be more options than Mario and the reportedly quite shit Yooka-Laylee. Anything I'm missing?

Poi
de blob + de blob 2
Unbox

Beagle 2

Thanks chaps, Poi looks like the one - nice and colourful, something I can play with my son sat on my knee like a responsible parent!

Ferris

DeBlob is also great for that type of thing.

Twed

Looking forward to Genesis: Turn It On Again

madhair60

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 29, 2019, 06:54:25 PM

Yooka-Laylee is superb.

Beagle 2

I took a punt on Yooka-Laylee then in the end on madhair's recommendation, and yeah, it is excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm not far into it but I don't really understand the lukewarm reviews. It's a whole heap of fun.

madhair60

Intellectual dishonesty, really. It's exactly the game it always claimed it was going to be, and it's a damn good example of its genre.

The Switch version is polished up, mind. It ran fairly poorly on PS4.

Kelvin

People complained about the areas being very empty, as I recall. But I haven't played it.

Beagle 2

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2019, 10:03:02 AM
Intellectual dishonesty, really. It's exactly the game it always claimed it was going to be, and it's a damn good example of its genre.

The Switch version is polished up, mind. It ran fairly poorly on PS4.

Yeah I dunno, I guess I'm just in the real sweet spot of their target audience, this feels like games are supposed to feel to me. I don't want a mini map, I just want to bumble around. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Talking of 90s love letters, I'm excited about Dusk coming to Switch. Had my eye on that on that for a while on Steam but it looks, as they say, perfect for Switch.

Thursday

Hmm, see I did suspect that when I saw the reviews from professional games critics, but then I saw youtube/hobbyists people who were on board with what they were getting were really disappointed with it too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Anyone got one of those Skull and Co gripcases? I'm thinking of importing one on Amazon. I've been playing handheld a lot recently and it's very uncomfortable for longer play sessions.
Cheaper suggestions would also be welcome, it's just that I've heard that these lads are the best.

Don't waste your time and money on anything but the Satisfye grip. I've bought three other separate recommended grips since I got the Switch. The Satisfye is so much better than the rest that I just gave them away to mates. It feels almost as comfortable as the Pro Controller. I've gone from 99% docked to about 75% docked. No other grip is anywhere near as comfortable.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ooh ta, I've never heard of that one. I'll have a look. If I buy one and it's rubbish I'm blaming you though.

Twed

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 03, 2019, 04:39:53 PM
Anyone got one of those Skull and Co gripcases? I'm thinking of importing one on Amazon. I've been playing handheld a lot recently and it's very uncomfortable for longer play sessions.
Cheaper suggestions would also be welcome, it's just that I've heard that these lads are the best.

I have a protector case for mine and it's great for travel and longer handheld play. Only a cheap one on amazon but really does the trick.