Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 03, 2019, 05:09:56 PM
Don't waste your time and money on anything but the Satisfye grip. I've bought three other separate recommended grips since I got the Switch. The Satisfye is so much better than the rest that I just gave them away to mates. It feels almost as comfortable as the Pro Controller. I've gone from 99% docked to about 75% docked. No other grip is anywhere near as comfortable.

where can I buy it UK

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You can't. Import fees out the arse.

MojoJojo

Is the fact it sounds like a masturbation technique deliberate?

I bought the Satisfye grip from their Indiegogo campaign and I didn't get stung with any charges for what that's worth.

I got the grip (no case) and paid no customs fees. Probably twenty quid including delivery. Well worth it. So so so much better than any grip I've used. It feels like a controller not an accessory.

Twed

Hey. Hey all of you:

GET A GRIP!

bgmnts

What's the JRPG scene on the Switch like?

Want to try out Fire Emblem for the first time when I get back from my travels.

Consignia

Quote from: bgmnts on February 04, 2019, 06:49:04 PM
What's the JRPG scene on the Switch like?

It's not great. Xenooblade 2 is a decent romp. I've heard good things about Octopath, but it's proper old school and the demo's pace killed it for me. There is a whole bunch of ports too. I'm currently suffering through Fairy Fencer, which I'm only bothering to finish because I've got a JRPG itch that needs scratching.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on February 04, 2019, 06:32:53 PM
I got the grip (no case) and paid no customs fees. Probably twenty quid including delivery. Well worth it. So so so much better than any grip I've used. It feels like a controller not an accessory.

Yeah, I watched a few videos, checked a few Reddit threads and decided to get one. £24 on their website including delivery. Cheers for the recommendation. As somebody else said though, it's a bit unfortunate that Satisfye sounds like a marital aid. Will it fit up my arse?

Timothy

Quote from: Consignia on February 04, 2019, 06:59:32 PM
It's not great. Xenooblade 2 is a decent romp. I've heard good things about Octopath, but it's proper old school and the demo's pace killed it for me. There is a whole bunch of ports too. I'm currently suffering through Fairy Fencer, which I'm only bothering to finish because I've got a JRPG itch that needs scratching.

Octopath is horrible. It started good, but eventually you are just playing eight stories without any connection between one and other, while grinding in fights were you can't see your enemies health bar. The heroes have zero reason to travel together. The party banter is weird and doesn't make sense. Two of the characters have good stories.

Best example of how bad this game is: In one sequence you, in some sort of long dialogue cutscene, have a chat with your character's parents. After this long emotional talk it's possible to talk to them again. Unfortunately they don't recognize you and you get a random comment.

Wouldn't recommend it.

I tried Tales of Vesperia but that had so many framedrops that I traded it in for the PS4 version.

If you want an JRPG I would wait for Persona.

Consignia

Quote from: Timothy on February 04, 2019, 11:25:36 PM

I tried Tales of Vesperia but that had so many framedrops that I traded it in for the PS4 version.

Yeah, a problem with the ports, they are just quick hack jobs. Fairy Fencer is awful in this regard, it would have run fine on Vita. There's no reason with a bit of TLC these games could be ported to run fine on the Switch.

Any Persona been confirmed for Switch?

Mango Chimes

SMB2 and Kirby Adventure are your NES Online games for February. Presumably those leaked/hinted/rumoured SNES games are coming in 2023.

Pete23

Defense Grid 2 out on Switch today for all you Tower Defence nuts. Not quite as good as the original, and less talk of raspberries, but still pretty bloody good.

Bazooka

Quote from: Consignia on February 05, 2019, 12:00:02 AM
Yeah, a problem with the ports, they are just quick hack jobs. Fairy Fencer is awful in this regard, it would have run fine on Vita. There's no reason with a bit of TLC these games could be ported to run fine on the Switch.

Any Persona been confirmed for Switch?

The Tales games in general have had bad frame drops, must be deliberate.

Twed

Why? It takes effort to target a different hardware platform and make things smooth. It's almost certainly an economic decision to not put the hours in to optimise it further.

Timothy

Quote from: Bazooka on February 07, 2019, 06:14:23 PM
The Tales games in general have had bad frame drops, must be deliberate.

PS4 version doesnt have framedrops....

Twed

Nintendo Direct at 2pm PT. That's probably 10pm in your Great British Time

Twed

Also tomorrow not today

Kelvin

Yeah, it's 10pm UK time.

Kelvin

Reggie Fils-Aime is stepping down as President of Nintendo of America.

Obviously not that influential compared to the heads of the company in Japan, but he's pretty well loved by the Nintendo gaming community, and has basically overcome being a boring, uncharismatic suit by throwing himself into numerous spoofs and skits over the years. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDYoCU2kv0

Twed

How could you not mention that his replacement is called Bowser?

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on February 21, 2019, 11:04:17 PM
How could you not mention that his replacement is called Bowser?

haha, I was worried that would bury the lede a bit

Thursday

He finally finished filling Amy.

But yeah I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan, but he's always come across as a having a warmth and humanity, you won't see in other company presidents.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on February 22, 2019, 12:10:54 AM
He finally finished filling Amy.

But yeah I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan, but he's always come across as a having a warmth and humanity, you won't see in other company presidents.

Iwata was the best for that. I'll always admire him for slashing his own pay dramatically so that they didn't have to lose staff or cut their pay. You only have to look at the current triple A publishers to see how unusual that is.

For what it's worth, Rolling Gunner is out on Switch next Thursday.

One of the best ever indie shmups, as I understand. It's releasing on Switch before they even decided on Steam. The only way to play it currently is to order the CD-ROM from Japan. No kidding. Review below:

https://youtu.be/WtHymw6T_gw

Also, Devil Engine came out yesterday. It's a really fast shmup in the vein of Thunder Force from the Mega Drive (and its sequels). If you want to play a shmup, hey, you should play this game.

Twed

Came across this video about Reggie and it depressed me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWkeHyVMWYw

Everything about him is defined in business terms, this could surely only appeal to sociopathic business students and yet there's barely any downvotes, which just makes me feel that mindset has become the norm.

I don't know much about Reggie but fuck me that did not inspire warmth.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on February 23, 2019, 05:38:25 PM
Came across this video about Reggie and it depressed me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWkeHyVMWYw

Everything about him is defined in business terms, this could surely only appeal to sociopathic business students and yet there's barely any downvotes, which just makes me feel that mindset has become the norm.

I don't know much about Reggie but fuck me that did not inspire warmth.

What a weird video. Delivered like a patroning nanny, and with such anodyne music and visuals, but talking about details that surely wouldn't interest that audience. I do think it's quite interesting to hear that stuff - I didn't know they were inspired by Pepsi to become more inclusive, for example - but there's no way I can sit through all of that.

GameXplain have put together a decent compilation of his best Nintendo moments in front of the camera;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gaoeDW4gU&t=0s

As I said before, he's not great at this stuff, but he did at least throw himself into it, and you can see why he was well liked by the fans. 

madhair60

"Whhhat's goin' on everyone? Ash here, with someth-" (Closes tab)

Imagine venerating the chief operating officer of a multinational consumer electronics company, though. Nintendo fans are absolute melts.

Edit: That said, I did buy Phantasy Star and Sega Mega Drive Classics on Switch last night. Don't even really like Phantasy Star, and already own Mega Drive Classics on PS4. Now who's the melt? (Me, I am)

Twed

I've also just remembered he's not even dead, he just doesn't care enough about Nintendo to continue doing that as a job.

Boo fucking hoo, go back and work for Pzifer.

Twed

QuoteFirst, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress."

OMG THE FEELS <3