Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 24, 2019, 07:23:36 PM
Why can't I play the first gen Pokémon games (or the GBA remakes) on my phone? It's mad that whoever owns the license hasn't flogged the license.

You can.

brat-sampson

Starters are basically just blobs now.

Interesting that it's basically set in the UK though.

colacentral

Yeah, the world map is even long and narrow with what's essentially Scotland at the top. "Wales" and "Ireland" are missing though and I'm thinking in the case of the former it will be the last area you visit, being the land of dragons or whatever, and in the case of the latter there'll be a post-game island to sail to or something. Not that the map has to be that literal an interpretation of a real country, but it looks like they're going that way with what they've shown.

It looks okay; I'm not blown away by the character models. Hopefully they're hiding alot, which they usually are at this point in the cycle.

Twed

Yeah, probably not BotW-level that, but UK Pokemon is enough to get me excited.

Kelvin

I will hold my hands up and say that greatly exceeded my expectations, even though it still looks incredibly antiquated. Piqued my interest, I must admit.

Consignia

Quote from: Twed on February 27, 2019, 04:48:39 PM
Yeah, probably not BotW-level that, but UK Pokemon is enough to get me excited.

Pokéball's coming home!

Pokémon Leave and Pokémon Remain
Snorlax means Snorlax
No Pikachu is better than a bad Pikachu

...I'm spent.

Just slid my Switch down a fuckin grid. The glory days are over.

Graceful Explosion Machine! Snake Pass! Snipperclips! ARMS! King of Fighters 98! Tumbleseed! VOEZ! Puyo Puyo Tetris! LEGO City Undercover! The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth Plus only on the US eShop!

If you never fucked with these games you were never a true Switch fan. That's a fact. Them days are gone though.

Kelvin

There's six thousand games on the eshop, mate.

VelourSpirit

Barely more impressive than Pokemon Colosseum which came out 15 years ago. Like it's upscaled from a 3DS game. Obviously they'll want to go for a different aesthetic to that, like a 2D art style in a 3D world more akin to Dark Chronicle or Ni No Kuni, but those muddy textures just look offputting to me. There's a blockbuster Pokemon movie coming out this year, they really could have gone all out on this but it just looks like more of the same.
Haven't played a Pokemon game since Diamond and I probably won't again if they don't do something interesting like Breath of the Wild.

Twed

I have vowed to disregard every twit criticising the textures. You people don't understand this.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 24, 2019, 07:23:36 PM
Why can't I play the first gen Pokémon games (or the GBA remakes) on my phone? It's mad that whoever owns the license hasn't flogged the license.

Quote from: Bazooka on February 27, 2019, 12:56:51 AM
You can.

Tell me more...

buntyman

Surprised to see the positive comments here, I thought that trailer made it look terrible. Really ugly designs and animation.

Timothy

Yeah huge step back graphics wise and sort of gameplay wise after Lets Go. Random encounters back.... ugh. Again no free camera, again a lineair map.... feels like the DS series coming to Switch instead of a big new Pokemon RPG. So much potential wasted by Game Freak.

Tens of millions of dickheads buy this shit regardless so who's the real dickhead

Bazooka

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 28, 2019, 02:59:28 AM
Tell me more...

Emulator and ROMs on your phone, not ideal but the games require no jumping or anything.

Bazooka

Quote from: brat-sampson on February 27, 2019, 02:38:26 PM

Starters are basically just blobs now.

Interesting that it's basically set in the UK though.

Terribly boring designs for the starters there.

Kelvin

Quote from: buntyman on February 28, 2019, 08:22:14 AM
Surprised to see the positive comments here, I thought that trailer made it look terrible. Really ugly designs and animation.

I think I just went in with extremely low expectations. I had basically been expecting something that looked like a fractionally better "let's go! Pikachu/eevie". It does look incredibly dated, though.

BritishHobo

Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 have gone up for pre-order on the store, release date 21 May, and there's lots of outrage about the fact that they're priced at £30 each, despite the fact that you can get all three for forty quid on Xbox One. Only a fool and a dickhead would spend thirty quid on that. Look no further though, for there's a muggins right here who despite already owning Resident Evil 4 HD on Steam will be spending that the first chance he gets.

BritishHobo

Also I thought the quality in the Pokemon trailer looked shit, but looking at the promo images on the store page on the Switch itself, it looks a hell of a lot better.

Bazooka

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 28, 2019, 10:16:19 PM
Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 have gone up for pre-order on the store, release date 21 May, and there's lots of outrage about the fact that they're priced at £30 each, despite the fact that you can get all three for forty quid on Xbox One. Only a fool and a dickhead would spend thirty quid on that. Look no further though, for there's a muggins right here who despite already owning Resident Evil 4 HD on Steam will be spending that the first chance he gets.

Capcom probably said "eh up my mate Nintendo, those prices are awfully steep compared to on rival machines"

Nintendo "fuck off ya wet cunt!"

colacentral

Quote from: Timothy on February 28, 2019, 08:41:55 AM
Yeah huge step back graphics wise and sort of gameplay wise after Lets Go. Random encounters back.... ugh. Again no free camera, again a lineair map.... feels like the DS series coming to Switch instead of a big new Pokemon RPG. So much potential wasted by Game Freak.

To be fair to Game Freak I think it's pretty clear Nintendo forced them to bash one out quick for the Switch at short notice - a new Gen is usually at least another year away, if not two. I wish Nintendo could have resisted and given them time to build a new engine from the ground up, but I guess they figured that, if in a worst case scenario the Switch was going to go tits up like the Wii U and all else failed, Pokemon alone is a system seller.

Gameplay-wise, I always find it a bit mystifying that anyone expects a big overhaul every time a new game comes out. The game is appealing as a casual collect-a-thon and rocking the boat too much risks detracting from that. It's not dissimilar from things like Sim City or Fifa, where you know what you're going to get when you get a new one. They have made incremental changes each generation and I think that's fine for what its core appeal is.

As for random encounters - I have never been a fan of seeing the pokemon before the encounter anyway. Again, it goes counter to that core appeal of collecting things, being surprised at what you're going to get. It's like knowing what football stickers are inside the packet before you buy them. Walking into long grass for the first time and anticipating what you're about to see is an iconic element of the series.

The trailer basically showed nothing; barely any NPCs is a telltale sign that what they showed has virtually no bearing on what the final product will look like, and that this was just a filler Direct to keep some Switch hype going. I'm not bummed out about it but I'm not particularly excited yet either.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on February 28, 2019, 08:41:55 AM

Graphics wise? I thought this looked much better. I hated the anemic look of Lets go, and, although this game doesn't impress technically, it does at least contain some half decent art and world design.

Kelvin

Quote from: colacentral on March 01, 2019, 01:17:24 AM
To be fair to Game Freak I think it's pretty clear Nintendo forced them to bash one out quick for the Switch at short notice - a new Gen is usually at least another year away, if not two. I wish Nintendo could have resisted and given them time to build a new engine from the ground up, but I guess they figured that, if in a worst case scenario the Switch was going to go tits up like the Wii U and all else failed, Pokemon alone is a system seller.

I'm.not sure Nintendo have that kind of power over Game Freak. They only have shares inThe Pokemon company, and probably some behind the scenes pull/influence. I doubt they can force Game Freak to rush a game out, though.

Twed

I mean, "force" maybe not, but I don't think you can speculate that there wasn't any pressure to bash one out.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on March 01, 2019, 03:02:24 AM
I mean, "force" maybe not, but I don't think you can speculate that there wasn't any pressure to bash one out.

No, there probably was.  I just think most, not all, of it would come from the Pokemon company wanting a game out each year.

Edit: Muddied the waters on selling stuff which I completely forgot about. Removed.

Kelvin

Switch is two years old today. Any thoughts on the console two years in? I thought it might be interesting to ask considering some of the increasingly diverse opinions on the console around here.

Consignia

I'm sure I've said it before, but it's absolutely replaced the Vita for me. I'm pretty much Switch exclusive now, with a few rare ventures into the PS4. It helps I like Nintendo games, but when I see an interesting new game, I hope there's a Switch version in the pipeline.

The eshop is complete bobbins. So much trash to search through to find the good stuff; it really needs an overhaul. I think in the early days, Nintendo just wanted the platform to be populated. But they've just let the same attitude allow it be completely clogged up with pixel art indies, and other mobile trash. I'm almost completely digital only now for games, but I have to buy eshop vouchers from 3rd parties so I don't have to go through the pain of the eshop.

Games wise though, it's been great. I don't know how people say 2018 was poor; it didn't have Mario and Zelda, but it did have loads of fun. I hope Nintendo will move off the ports and remakes going forward, but I've pumped hours into over the last year.

The online service has been pretty poor value for money; until recently. Tetris 99 is my new time sink. Worth the money just for that. I'm tempted to create a thread for it, but have little else to say other it's Tetris and awesome.

The form factor of the console is so great. I mostly play it as a handheld, but I went to a mates the other day and had the console in my backpack. Hungover the next morning we hooked it up to his projector and had an ad-hoc Smash Bros tournament. Having two controllers as part of the console is an ingenious move.

falafel

Having just got a puppy, the pick-up-put-down is a godsend. I've got Assassin's Creed Odyssey waiting on my desktop but I'm quite happy chugging my way through Skyrim on the sofa and recently put tens of hours into a few Civ games. It has become a decompression tool rather than the way i usually play games recently which has been with one eye on the backlog, working my way down the critical path and finishing them as quickly as possible. I would almost never replay a game for the same reason. So in that way, it has transformed how I see and play games. I am more casual, less stressed. I get maybe 30 mins a day and that is just fine. The backlog at this stage is insurmountable so i may as well just enjoy the bounty rather than worrying.